16 minutes ago, TitusV said:

Wow. Just, wow. I think others have already written what I'm thinking, but I still want you to know that we (or at least, I) truly appreciate this look on your life, plus that I'm sorry for your mom.

---

Wait, they were veterans when I joined, so if they're the "GoH kids", my generation would be the... "GoH embryos"?

---

That would be amazing to see, can't wait :moar:

Yes, the GoH kids.  So many insanely skilled builders who "grew up" in the guilds.

Here is a few people who's skills went from "uh" to "WHAAAAA!?!" due to building in the guilds... in no particular order-

Legonardo Davidy

Kai NRG

Garmadon

SoccerKid6

LittleJohn

The next generation could be the GoH grandkids I guess!

And it's not just the GoH kids that grow... here is my first entry into the guilds:

image.png.be46f4297c3f8804c5275412468b8f8d.png

Not bad, but photography and some of the elements needed some work... here are a couple of later entries... all of which would be put to shame by any recent build from the GoH kids!

image.png.c7bc56b06c0b4b7616bc6c204d81ea33.png

16369236655_0686069bd4_c.jpg

11226760594_70bebf7b9f_c.jpg

15 minutes ago, ZCerberus said:

Yes, the GoH kids.  So many insanely skilled builders who "grew up" in the guilds.

The next generation could be the GoH grandkids I guess!

@TitusV @dathil Guess we'll be the grandkids then.. :blush::grin:

To all current and future GOH leaders, I ask that you learn from ZC's accounting, and know that when real life puts unexpected pressure on your commitments here, there is help here for the asking.

@ZCerberus, I know what a cancer fight can do to a family. My uncle fought twice while living with us. Maintaining outside interests can be a struggle. You've bourn it quite well, but if you need to in the future, there are those here willing to lift the burden.

Just now, gedren_y said:

To all current and future GOH leaders, I ask that you learn from ZC's accounting, and know that when real life puts unexpected pressure on your commitments here, there is help here for the asking.

@ZCerberus

A big hear-hear from me on this point. ZC has correctly described one of the problems with becoming so entrenched in running things that they can't run without you or when you need to step back. I think avoiding this issue in the future will help keep GoH healthier and we hopefully won't see months of inactivity or stagnant story progression.

I like to think I've grown a lot as a builder thanks to GoH. It was the GoH stuff that I randomly found on the internet that pulled me out of my dark age in 2014 and got me building Lego and taking part in RBGs. I think of myself as a storyteller (I do a lot of writing) and I needed something like this to tie my love of Lego to my love of telling a story with it. I go through periods where I lapse in activity, which is normal in this hobby, but I'll always come back as long as there's something to come back to.

9 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

@TitusV @dathil Guess we'll be the grandkids then.. :blush::grin:

@ZCerberus: can we please please please call you 'grand-daddy' from now on? :laugh:

---

Indeed, its GoH which got me out of my dark ages, so I hope this community will live on! (there are other reasons as well of course, like the great fun and the tons of things I've learned)

Hadn't considered being a granddaddy at 37, but you know, why not.

You know how grandpa used to be all tech savvy in his day and had one of the first color tvs... but the idea of a smartphone terrifies him now?

That is me now- I may have been a MOCer people had interest in seeing build something 5 years ago, but now the grandkids know all the hot apps and smartphone tricks and I just stare at them in amazement knowing all the kids and grandkids have surpassed me!  At least I can still help shape a story or two before I get kicked out for good!

Dude, I'm 32 and my daughter is 14 and about to start high school. There's a real possibility that I'll be a grandpa by the time I'm 37 or thereabouts.

8 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Dude, I'm 32 and my daughter is 14 and about to start high school. There's a real possibility that I'll be a grandpa by the time I'm 37 or thereabouts.

Turns out I am only 36, so never mind me!

Hi! Josh/mkjosha on Flickr suggested I sign up for this. I'm really leaning toward Avalonia, but with the transition to Book III happening, I'm wondering whether I need to sign up in the Book III thread or in the Book II Avalonia thread. 

29 minutes ago, Ailhbe said:

Hi! Josh/mkjosha on Flickr suggested I sign up for this. I'm really leaning toward Avalonia, but with the transition to Book III happening, I'm wondering whether I need to sign up in the Book III thread or in the Book II Avalonia thread. 

Welcome to the coolest guild! I think either of them would work, though leadership is counting the active members of each guild only in this thread I'd say?

33 minutes ago, Ailhbe said:

Welcome! And yes, Avalonia is the best! ;) I am new as well, but I decided to go ahead and sign up in the book 3 thread and the book 2 avalonia thread.

I think there will be relaunched Guild threads for Book 3 once it launches or maybe a bit before. For now, just post in ALL the threads :P

The Guild threads will be relaunched for Book III, but feel to post in the current Book II thread as we if you would like.

It's probably a good time to update this thread as well.  The original post is a bit outdated for Book III.

Not sure where to put this, but is it possible to clean up the pinned topics? I feel like this was tried once, and there is a pinned thread with links to other important threads. Maybe the free build thread can be listed in there, the challenges/commitments thread can be cut loose, etc.? I just feel like having 12/25 topics on the first page is a little cluttered, but then again if it doesn’t bother anyone else, it’s not a big deal either.

I have recently been viewing GOH and BOBS. I dont have the capacity to join both. So I will join one. BOBS has an economis system which i find interesting, does GOH have anything like that? Does everyone/most in GOH build their own city? Any waring? What are the main differences beetween GOH and BOBS? Thank you in advance for the awnser :) 

@micaz, this was discussed a little while ago in the Book III thread, so to answer, I will quote @TitusV's fairly accurate and thorough response from there below. I hope this helps, and we would be glad to have you here on GoH! If you need further clarification or have any other questions, ask away and we would be happy to answer.

Quoted text in italics:

* BoBS is about the Age of Sail, with the needed margins, but GoH is all about the Medieval Ages, with the needed margins as well of course. A pretty obvious thing, but I thought I'd mention it as well :wink: 

* GoH, or at least Book II, doesn't posses an 'active economy'. Participants don't own money or something, though Book I awarded coins to the Guilds, but this was more of a small contest and turned around prestige, they didn't have in-game value. That means no web forms to fill in or build limits! (I had almost forgotten, but we do have a build registration thread! You would have to ask the leadership whether it is still used)

* As the Book I coins show, the competition between factions is very different. Of course, we're all very proud of our own guild (up Avaloniaaaaaa *insert trumpets*), but there's not something like a faction's PM thread, simply because there's no really secret information or need to 'outsmart' the others. Even the diplomatic ties between Guilds are not clear. One faction declaring war on another, or guaranteeing a smaller nation (which we don't have, bythe way, except maybe Cedrica) as one would frequently see on BoBS, just doesn't happen here. Except of course when the leadership would decide so, but that's another story... Consequently, the board game aspect of the Guilds is a lot smaller (on the other hand, it got pretty high during the fourth challenge of Book II, led by the excellent @SkaForHire who you may know as one of BoBS's game masters). (This all also doesn't mean 'normal' members can't have a big impact on the storyline, even using private threads and such. We all know how close the Algus came to destroying the Guilds!)

* Following this last fact, there's no 'rush for land'. Even with the anniversary challenge, GoH isn't about expanding your empire, as is the Age of Discovery centered BoBS. Intrafactionwise, only Avalonia has a tradition with every member claiming a certain territory, but this too has been abolished for Book III. Of course, a lot of people are Lords (of just residents) of a certain city or region, but they don't have a zone of control. Even more so, Nocturnian cartographers are known for not caring about exact locations of important locations... Interfactionally, the above-mentioned diplomatic actions between factions, as determined by the leadership (of course with participation of the guild members etc), sometimes result in border conflicts (an excellent example here is the third challenge of Book II, where Avalonia and Mitgardia were at the edge of full-out war), but conquering pieces of other guilds or actual border change... No, I can't honestly remember having seen something like that (I'm not even sure whether something like that has happened in BoBS). Could an older member (@soccerkid6, or our beloved grand daddy ZCerberus) maybe confirm? Or wait, I just recalled something, hmmm... Let me look some things up, I'll get back to this in a few moments!

As you see, it will take a bit of time beforing getting to know all the lore amassed throughout years of building or the more subtle differences (of which @Henjin_Quilones has already mentioned some), but I hope this can get you started!

EDIT: I have found it :grin: At the start of the fourth challenge of Book II, Ska posted a little resumée of the main points of view of the three different sides, which can be found here (under the list of challenge preludes). When one looks to the second row, last column, one can see that the DK has promised the island of Esterbroke to the Avalonian guild (if you don't know where this is: on this map, its the island right south of the Mystic Isles). And considering the fact that this same DK has come out of the Kali civil war as the most powerful of the three, I think we have a first border change ever!!! :devil_laugh: May the Dragon ever expand - or wait, am I talking BoBS language now?

1 hour ago, MiloNelsiano said:

Not sure where to put this, but is it possible to clean up the pinned topics? I feel like this was tried once, and there is a pinned thread with links to other important threads. Maybe the free build thread can be listed in there, the challenges/commitments thread can be cut loose, etc.? I just feel like having 12/25 topics on the first page is a little cluttered, but then again if it doesn’t bother anyone else, it’s not a big deal either.

Seconded, defenitely seconded! (Cleaning up all those pinned topics was actually one of the reasons to start assembling the grand storyline in a document)

1 hour ago, micaz said:

I have recently been viewing GOH and BOBS. I dont have the capacity to join both. So I will join one. BOBS has an economis system which i find interesting, does GOH have anything like that? Does everyone/most in GOH build their own city? Any waring? What are the main differences beetween GOH and BOBS? Thank you in advance for the awnser :) 

Henjin has already talked about the biggest differences, though to answer your question about cities: aye, most people do. However, its far from obligated and noone will have a problem if you don't - even more so, you would be much freeer to go and explore other styles and guilds, I'd think!

Hope to see you joining a guild soon :classic: 

I'm no new member but I couldn't find any better place to ask; the parts for my sigfig are taking a while to arrive, so I'm wondering if it's alright for me to post a temporary one?

3 hours ago, Windusky said:

I'm no new member but I couldn't find any better place to ask; the parts for my sigfig are taking a while to arrive, so I'm wondering if it's alright for me to post a temporary one?

I did it when I was joining the Guilds, so why not? I created a side character, who ended up later being the wife of my main character, and posted a picture of her to the guilds first while I waited to get my main sigfig out of storage. 

hey guys, I'm unsure about a couple of things:

- can builds for HSS count as free builds for the Guild?

- can builds for HSS be used for challenges on other webpages (CCC, for example)?

- what does HSS stand for? :tongue: Historican Settlements S...? or is the 2nd S just the plural of that?

also, nothing to do with the rest, but - @TitusV awesome awesome awesome job with the huge recap :thumbup: