Hi everyone, some of you may have seen me comment on some builds in the past few weeks, but I don't think I've ever made a proper introduction on this forum before. I've been lurking around this forum and some others for a few months now, but life in general has kept me quite busy. I recently moved so most of my Lego collection is still in packing boxes and school is as time consuming as ever, so I can't guarantee any builds yet or even that I'll be actively involved here, but I'll try to be around when I can. But anyways, I don't really have a particular building style yet so what guild do you guys suggest? 

Hello @Ares ! welcome here !

Don't focus on what you can do or not, just pick the Guild you prefer and then you'll adapt your style and your collection to it...

Myself, I had a relatively low greenery level and just pick Avalonia for its story potential at first.

@Ares, bearing the name of the God of War, welcome! If you are looking for the darkest and bloodiest guild, look no further: Nocturnus is the place to be! :knight::thumbup:

Welcome for sure! As others have said, just follow your heart (though I can tell you Avalonia truly is the coolest guild :tongue: )

Thanks for the welcome from everyone here. My original choice for a guild was Avalonia but as I kept reading about each guild I found different lore that fits my interests. I'll probably choose either Avalonia or Nocturnus (sorry to any Kaliphlinians or Mitgardians here) since I don't have a lot of sand or white colored bricks in my collection but if anyone can convince me enough my choice of guild might change.

Welcome to the guilds, Ares, despite your unfortunate leanings!  Kaliphlin is clearly the way to go and anyone who slanders us by suggesting that sand is all we have to offer deserves to be fed to the southern sea monster! :grin:

I thought I had a clear idea of what guild to join while I was lurking around still but you've all convinced me pretty well so I'll have to take time to decide. In the meantime I might be able to post a build if I can get some of my Lego collection out and if time is willing. 

21 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Welcome to the guilds, Ares, despite your unfortunate leanings!  Kaliphlin is clearly the way to go and anyone who slanders us by suggesting that sand is all we have to offer deserves to be fed to the southern sea monster! :grin:

Ok, ok, I admit! Kali also offers a lot lf rock, and maybe even a snake or two (but that's about it) :tongue:

2 hours ago, TitusV said:

Ok, ok, I admit! Kali also offers a lot lf rock, and maybe even a snake or two (but that's about it) :tongue:

Or so says the stuck-up snobby Avalonian who's never been outside of the Mystic Isles! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

Or so says the stuck-up snobby Avalonian who's never been outside of the Mystic Isles! :laugh:

Well, technically @TitusV's land claim is actually on the border with Kaliphlin, about as far away from the Mystic Isles (while still in Avalonia) as possible...

Thus you would expect him to know something about his southern neighbors, even if they are somewhat below his notice as a "stuck-up snobby Avalonian". I am surprised you didn't add something about hugging trees or wearing tights, as those also seem to be common insults hurled at those of us who like rather moderate amounts of sand, snow, and strange creatures, and prefer fertile fields and only slightly (ok, sometimes extremely) magical deep forests. 

It is fair to point out, however, that all of the guilds encompass a great variety of landscapes, climates, and peoples, and are not reducible to one single stereotype of person or geographic feature. In theory, at least, any race could live anywhere, and there can be snow in Kali, sand in Mitgardia, monsters in Avalonia, and farms in Nocty. And everywhere has mountains, trees (of some kind or other), lakes, and rivers. 

I've spent a lot of time lurking around as I've mentioned and I can agree that each guild has a variety of different landscapes. But for example Kaliphlin is still pretty middle eastern culturally and geographically despite having some bits of forest like Avalonia. Or Avalonia has both sandy and mountainous areas I assume since it is between Kaliphlin and Mitgardia, but still is more western European. 

Anyways, a little bit about me; I spent the better part of my life in the southern end of the San Francisco Bay Area in California up until a few months ago and I wanted to replicate some of the geography of that area in some of my builds. The area is Mediterranean climate wise I believe so I'll probably join the guild that best fits with a Mediterranean climate, which is probably Avalonia or Kaliphlin (or maybe even Nocturnus?).

8 hours ago, Ares said:

The area is Mediterranean climate wise I believe so I'll probably join the guild that best fits with a Mediterranean climate, which is probably Avalonia or Kaliphlin (or maybe even Nocturnus?).

Any of those three could conceivably be Mediterranean in climate, especially southern Avalonia and either the west or east coasts of Kaliphlin. Nocty could, perhaps, though that is certainly not the type of vibe they project to the outside world. At this point I think it matters more what kind of story you want to tell, the kind of character you want to be, and the larger world in which you want your stuff to happen. 

Nocturnus doesn't have a Mediterranean climate: too humid in the south, to temperate in the east and north, and desert/land climate to the west of the Rakath chain. 

Maybe it's not completely out of the question with the Goolag Archipelago.

I think Kaliphlin is the best fit for Mediterranean but it wouldn't be totally out of place in Avalonia either.  There have been some Mediterranean style builds in Kaliphlin quite a while ago - I don't think I could find them but I did remember this, which you might be interested in as giving some examples of great builds from each guild!

I took a look at your topic post and I'm quite impressed by all the builds which gave me a nice sample on to what each guild looks like. Judging from that, I'll probably join Kaliphlin, since it has that warmer climate feel that I want to depict in my builds. I don't believe Avalonia has any palm trees or any related vegetation that are often found in Mediterranean climates, but I could be wrong.

On 10-4-2018 at 8:10 PM, Kai NRG said:

Well, I could reply on this, but since our Royal Mapmaker, mister @Henjin_Quilones, already did so way better than I ever could... :grin: 

On 10-4-2018 at 9:55 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Well, technically @TitusV's land claim is actually on the border with Kaliphlin, about as far away from the Mystic Isles (while still in Avalonia) as possible...

Thus you would expect him to know something about his southern neighbors, even if they are somewhat below his notice as a "stuck-up snobby Avalonian". I am surprised you didn't add something about hugging trees or wearing tights, as those also seem to be common insults hurled at those of us who like rather moderate amounts of sand, snow, and strange creatures, and prefer fertile fields and only slightly (ok, sometimes extremely) magical deep forests. 

Hahahaha, thanks Henjin, you're absolutely right there! :thumbup: 

(though actually, there's too much sand getting across the border for my taste, I think I will give up on Drond's Feelds in Book III)

Edited by TitusV

5 hours ago, Ares said:

I took a look at your topic post and I'm quite impressed by all the builds which gave me a nice sample on to what each guild looks like. Judging from that, I'll probably join Kaliphlin, since it has that warmer climate feel that I want to depict in my builds. I don't believe Avalonia has any palm trees or any related vegetation that are often found in Mediterranean climates, but I could be wrong.

An excellent choice, we can always use more builders in Kaliphlin! :thumbup: Really looking forward to seeing your builds :classic:

2 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

An excellent choice, we can always use more builders in Kaliphlin! :thumbup: Really looking forward to seeing your builds :classic:

I'll second that!  Welcome!

11 hours ago, Ares said:

Southern Avalonia could have those palm trees, if you wanted it to, as I imagine it being rather like Spain down there, but quite frankly (as @LittleJohn and @Kai NRG have indicated), Kaliphlin does need some more active builders right now; I won't try to talk you out of it any further. Whatever you choose, I am glad to have you here!

Thanks for the advice from everyone on what guild to join. I'll probably join Kaliphlin, seeing as it fits my taste and has an interesting background that will probably work out well in my future builds, but since Avalonia seems promising I might have one or two builds there if I can. Anyways, I'll probably post my introduction and character soon if time is kind enough.

Hi guys,

I recently joined Eurobricks with Guilds of Historica being one of the main attractions. I've been a fan of all things Medieval for quite a while as well as a Lego fan. I have a few questions before joining the Guilds:

1. What book are we currently in?
  2. Can someone give me a short summary of the events following Book I (which I've read the summary of) up to the current day?*
  3. Is there a current challenge? If so, what is the current challenge?

Thank you to anyone who is willing and able to answer these questions.

*P.S.: This does not have to be exhaustive, I just need to get a feel for what is going on right now and what a character might reasonably expect to happen in the near future (based on the past).

1. We are in the end of Book 2 which has lasted... four years?

2. Book 2 mostly revolved around a bunch of civil wars in each of the Guilds, culminating in a big succession war that itself ended with a new Queen on the throne of Cedrica, which is where the "provinces" (guilds) of Historica centralize power.

3. There are no current challenges. The most recent one was to explore "new lands" beyond Historica which hints that maybe Book 3, if it ever arrives, will include one or more new Guilds.

In general, Guilds of Historica has declined dramatically from the activity it once had. This appears to be the only active thread now. I joined four years ago and there'd be several new posts per day, it was actually tough to keep up. Nowadays, the role-building games on EB have shifted to BBoS (pirates) and Brick Wars, which are both active in comparison to Andromeda's Gates (space) and GoH (medieval and light on "game" elements). I think the Star Wars one is still running strong and there are other RBGs out there like League of Heroes that seem active if my Flickr feed is anything to go by. I also pop in to Merlin's Beard where Lands of Roawia (very similar to GoH) is still going, but their activity levels have declined a lot as well.

8 hours ago, mccoyed said:

1. We are in the end of Book 2 which has lasted... four years?

2. Book 2 mostly revolved around a bunch of civil wars in each of the Guilds, culminating in a big succession war that itself ended with a new Queen on the throne of Cedrica, which is where the "provinces" (guilds) of Historica centralize power.

3. There are no current challenges. The most recent one was to explore "new lands" beyond Historica which hints that maybe Book 3, if it ever arrives, will include one or more new Guilds.

In general, Guilds of Historica has declined dramatically from the activity it once had. This appears to be the only active thread now. I joined four years ago and there'd be several new posts per day, it was actually tough to keep up. Nowadays, the role-building games on EB have shifted to BBoS (pirates) and Brick Wars, which are both active in comparison to Andromeda's Gates (space) and GoH (medieval and light on "game" elements). I think the Star Wars one is still running strong and there are other RBGs out there like League of Heroes that seem active if my Flickr feed is anything to go by. I also pop in to Merlin's Beard where Lands of Roawia (very similar to GoH) is still going, but their activity levels have declined a lot as well.

Sounds like a great summary to me!

One small remark: this new Queen hasn't been confirmed by the leadership, who're still debating the results of the last challenge. To be honest, I feel like the passivity of the guilds has a lot to do with this indecisiveness, people are just waiting on the end of the Book and the start of a new one, so they know what the world is up to and can build/tell their stories accordingly.