14 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

The "Book II Challenge V" contest is over, and the "A Safe Haven - 5th Anniversary Challenge" has been extended until February. There is not a Quarter 6 challenge out there, but there is a quarter 6 freebuild registration; that is just a place to keep track of the various freebuilds you have built in the given time frame. I think that at one point there was a sort of points system that was tied to the number of freebuilds that a given guild had in each quarter, that somehow benefited the winning guild; but I am not sure that it still works that way, as I have been building here and following the goings-on fairly consistently for a year and a half, without any mention of guild points being made. We are currently in a sort of limbo between Book II and Book III, so there is no overarching conflict to build a part of; the only thing that applies to everyone is the Safe Haven challenge, and you need five freebuilds to participate in that (which you can make now). And that challenge is not really about conflict, anyway. 

Moral of the story: introduce your sigfig and start building his/her story now, and worry about how it fits into the overarching story later. If you want a battle in your story, build a battle scene! If you don't, then don't. You make the rules in your story, as long as you don't claim to be the best or most superlative at anything, or defy the very simple rules of the guilds (like no technology, for example). 

Just start building. 

Thank you. That's very helpful.

57 minutes ago, TitusV said:

Welcome to Historica, Wendolla!

As always, HQ's was faster and better than myself, so I propose you just listen to him :wink: (though don't join Nocty! :tongue:)

Thank you for the welcome... and I think I will join Nocturnus.

Welcome @Wendolla8319 ! Nice to see a new player, even if you choose Nocturnus. Beware of the pumpkins during your stay on the dark lands ! They have the bad habit to eat people ! :grin:

6 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Welcome @Wendolla8319 ! Nice to see a new player, even if you choose Nocturnus. Beware of the pumpkins during your stay on the dark lands ! They have the bad habit to eat people ! :grin:

Do they?

Well I'm almost done with the first freebuild that'll introduce my character. Just coming up with what exactly I want my story to be. Is resurrecting the dead as zombies allowed? I presume so...

3 hours ago, Wendolla8319 said:

Is resurrecting the dead as zombies allowed? I presume so...

Sure is; Nocty is full of not dead/half-dead/all-dead/un-dead folks...

12 hours ago, Wendolla8319 said:

Do they?

Well I'm almost done with the first freebuild that'll introduce my character. Just coming up with what exactly I want my story to be. Is resurrecting the dead as zombies allowed? I presume so...

They defenitely do! I'd propose you check out this, though mind your step so you don't get gobbled up!

As Henjin said, resuurecting etc is allowed (defenitely in Nocturnus), but try no to be the immortal, awesome, fire-breathing necormancer who can kill people by looking at them :wink: 

Is it acceptable to do several freebuilds before actually posting a sigfig?  I'd like to do an introduction by starting with the backstory, rather than starting with a character and then doing a series of flashbacks.  Does any part of the rules forbid this?

3 hours ago, The Stad said:

Is it acceptable to do several freebuilds before actually posting a sigfig?  I'd like to do an introduction by starting with the backstory, rather than starting with a character and then doing a series of flashbacks.  Does any part of the rules forbid this?

I don't really know. I'd say that as long as you sign up for a guild (just posting in the guild's general topic an say that you sign up for them), doing some freebuilds before supplying us with a picture of your sigfig woudl be fine.

What does the leadership (or @Henjin_Quilones :wink: ) say?

5 hours ago, The Stad said:

I'm sure that's fine. You can have a preliminary sigfig and update it later on, too. If you don't want to fully reveal your character, you could also do a teaser shot from the back. And don't forget: freebuilds are always acceptable, whichever guild they are for and regardless of which one you joined! 

Maybe have a look at the first episode of my saga prologue, click the link "Onicius Prologue" in my signature, as I started in sort of a different way as well.

Edited by Exetrius

Well, @TitusV, since you asked...

@The Stad, I did something similar, in fact. I joined while most of my bricks were in storage during a move, so I only had access to a few sets that I had recently purchased. The figure I planned to use for my sigfig was packed away, so I started some builds using other figs in the meantime leading up to his eventual introduction. So yes, if you intend to introduce your figure through a series of builds, that would work well, I think.

You could also just post a picture of your sigfig to the guild page with minimal information (without any build at all, just the fig on a blank background and his/her/its name) and then tell the story of your sigfig, however you want to organize it, in actual build threads. That would be my suggestion, since technically speaking you are not an official member of any guild until you post a picture of your sigfig to your chosen guild's thread. 

9 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Well, @TitusV, since you asked...

@The Stad, I did something similar, in fact. I joined while most of my bricks were in storage during a move, so I only had access to a few sets that I had recently purchased. The figure I planned to use for my sigfig was packed away, so I started some builds using other figs in the meantime leading up to his eventual introduction. So yes, if you intend to introduce your figure through a series of builds, that would work well, I think.

You could also just post a picture of your sigfig to the guild page with minimal information (without any build at all, just the fig on a blank background and his/her/its name) and then tell the story of your sigfig, however you want to organize it, in actual build threads. That would be my suggestion, since technically speaking you are not an official member of any guild until you post a picture of your sigfig to your chosen guild's thread. 

You see? That's what I meant, but Henjin can explain it waaaay better :tongue: 

I'll keep my offcial welcome to the guilds ready to use, The Stad!

On 2017-12-14 at 6:56 PM, The Stad said:

I presented my sigfig with a series of smaller builds I had put together in advance to illustrate my sigfigs backstory when posting him. Actually I did that before even choosing guild :classic:
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/79999-sir-gideon-presenting-himself/

As usual in GoH, I think you can come up with pretty much whatever backstory you want as long as it fits in the general setting of Historica and doesn't include other players' sigfigs without asking first.

Happy Holidays, and Merry Christmas!

I hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable holiday season (if celebrating).

I have invited Avalonians to post updates in the Avalonia thread as to what they are working on, or what they are up to right now.  I'd like to invite any members from other guilds to stop on by and post as well.  I'm curious to know what everyone is up to.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Rebel158 said:

It's good but I have one question. Where can I find guild's homepage???

Hi and welcome, Rebel! You could consider the page of the GoH subforum, where all the threads appear, as the homepage. The most important threads are this one (for stuff that isn't specific to any guild) and the thread for each Guild. 

I hope that helps, and otherwise just ask more questions! :wink:

Are any of you attending Floating Bricks Hamburg, next weekend?

I'll be displaying a piece of Zotharith, my Safe Haven Cat. C ocean raft and one moc that I haven't shown or posted anywhere yet. :wink:

38358670104_f1dab8f6f8_n.jpg

Edited by Exetrius

Just saying hello in the new members area.  Found the forums a few weeks ago after months on flickr gaining inspiration and wondering where all these people who do great medieval and castle builds hang out.  Then I found this wonderful, creative infused place.  I have joined a guild or started to just need to get to building and creating my sig fig.  I already have a story planned out that was supposed to lead to building a large scale diorama for me and my oldest son.  One of those dreams I have had since building castles as a child and seeing the larger creations in the lego ideas books.  But alas I never had the right pieces or figures to explore what my mind wanted to build.  Lets just say that has changed as an adult and I look forward to building and supplying my kids with a larger scale opportunity to build creatively than I had.  I look forward to building and sharing as well as gathering inspiration here.  I would definitely consider myself a very very amateur builder looking to grow, gain feedback and ideas while sharing and playing out a visual adventure with my kids.  Thanks for providing this awesome venue to all who run it.

Welcome to the guilds LordBevis!  Looking forward to seeing your creations!

18 hours ago, LordBevis said:

Could one of you folks point me to the appropriate place to ask questions about building techniques and trouble shooting?

Your own faction thread is a good place, or this thread would be okay!

20 hours ago, LordBevis said:

Could one of you folks point me to the appropriate place to ask questions about building techniques and trouble shooting? I do not want to start a topic or post in the incorrect thread.

As I think you're tempted by Avalonia, I would say the same as Kai said, don't hesitate, we don't bite, on the contrary of Nocty's pies ! :laugh:

But it appears you've found the basics tutorials already : The classical Derfel Cadarn's one and the recent one still in progress by the Snyder Brothers for example are quite good thing to try !

The main (and somewhat classic...) answer I could give is to start building, post, have comments and criticisms, and then build again, and again, and again... You'll improve quite quickly with this simple method ! :laugh:

Edited by Faladrin