Hi everyone,
This might not be the best place for this, but this thread seems to be used for various other reasons as well, so I'll post it here anyway.

Some may have noticed that I haven't been around as much lately, which is mainly due to my apartment being too small to have a designated building space.  I'm still building once in a while but am unable to make much progress on anything than my son doesn't play with, and ultimately destroy.  So, in this current situation I started playing a videogame that has captivated me like no other game has done before.  That game is Mount and Blade: Warband.  If any of you have played the game, you probably know how enthralling the game can be, and if you haven't played it before, well...you probably should (or at least watch some youtube videos of it).  The only reason I'm still not bored of the game (I get over videogames pretty quickly these days) is because there are so many Mods available for it.  There are so many different Mods out there, including Game of Thrones, Vikings, Pirates, Cowboy/Wild West, WWI, Warhammer, Star Wars.....hundreds of Mods that people have made.  After playing quite a few of these Mods and getting a basic understanding of how they work, I made the (possibly terrible) decision that I'd like to write a mod as a personal challenge for myself.  Since I'm learning as I go, I thought it'd be easiest to take a world that's already known to me, so I quickly settled on trying to incorporate the world of Historica into a Mod.  What I'd like to do is to incorporate as many characters and civilizations from GoH as I can to make the game feel enjoyable.  I'm currently trying to decide which characters and towns/villages I should use to even out all the factions.  I've picked out some settlements that have already been fleshed out fairly well, but need a little more help getting enough settlements to make the world feel immersive, and I'm hoping some of you can help me out there.  If you're OK with me using your settlement, I would need to know: 1. The name of the settlement 2. The name of the ruler 3. The name of the castle or fortress, if applicable and 4. A brief description of the ruler's personal coat of arms/sigil/what-have-you.  Once I have a decent start with settlements and lords and whatnot, I will start making the map, and fleshing out the settlements (as closely to the representation in MOCs as possible).  Then, I may even try to get the lords to look like the SigFigs they represent (I'm not sure how realistic this is, especially for Orcs and humanized Rats and so forth, but I'm thinking I can use textures from other existing Mods to help make some of the more complicated figures).  As far as special features to the mod, I don't think there will be too many, and I'm sure it will be very similar to the Vanilla version of the game.  I will likely include the Black Spire as a Faction, but leave out Varlyria (at least for the time being I'm not planning on including it on the map).  Anyway, as I said, this is a personal project, so I don't want anyone to get excited thinking they will get to play a video game set in Historica.  If I am able to get the Mod into a functional and playable state, I will absolutely share it with anyone interested.  However, since this is my first major attempt at anything remotely close to this, I have no idea if I am going to be able to manage it.  I may be way over my head with this, so again, please realize that this may never be finished.  I started doing some banners, including for some settlements that are somewhat fleshed out already (Benoic, Thorshaven, and Shadowmere).  You can take a peek below if you'd like to see (they're not as good as the official banners are, but they good enough for me).  Also, if you really don't want me including your figure or settlement in anyway, please let me know.  Thank you all for reading!

Spoiler

Top two rows are banners I made, bottom row I did not.

37311097140_1cf462432a_o.jpg

And in the game, they look something like this:

37310219970_80c448a078_z.jpg

23716567158_fb91ccaa31_z.jpg

23716566778_79296a9378_z.jpg

23716566508_008e9b96a7_z.jpg

37310219820_d55a09a7a2_z.jpg

37310220390_338a216ede_z.jpg

Edited by MiloNelsiano

Wow.  Are. you. insane? :grin:  I generally don't play video games, but a Historica video game would be amazing.  I don't have any sort of a viable settlement, but just wanted to say, go for it!

Wow. Just wow. Though I don't have much time to play games, I still got M&B Warband on my pc. It's a sweet game indeed, and the modability makes it even sweeter, so I absolutely love this project! :wub: 

Now, I'm not good at modding myself, especially because I'm a bit of purist in games too and always try to play the vanilla version. However, since I'm familiar with both the game and the world of Historica, I might be able to help you out on some points if you want to... In that case I'm not thinking of the actually coding or designing itself, but into content/balancing etc.

Anyway, your banners look lovely already! :thumbup: 

That would be incredibly impressive, and even though I'm not a particularly big gamer I'd be tempted to download that game if you make the mod! 

As for a city, if you're looking for a northern town, I'd be more than happy for Mid-River to be included (I've already built a fair bit there) I can give more details if ever you chose Mid-River to be included :sweet: 

Unfortunately I'm finding it hard to be active here at the moment as well. but although it's not Historical related I've got a pretty big Cyberpunk build in the works!

On 10.10.2017 at 3:16 AM, Kai NRG said:

Wow.  Are. you. insane? :grin:  I generally don't play video games, but a Historica video game would be amazing.  I don't have any sort of a viable settlement, but just wanted to say, go for it!

I appreciate the support!  Actually, this reminds me that in addition to settlements with lords, I will also have to come up with some companions (without a settlement) that the player can enlist into their party.

On 10.10.2017 at 3:33 AM, Umbra-Manis said:

That's pretty sweet! If you can go underground (Or in a cave or something), I'd love to have my city included!

I probably won't be able to do a cave settlement, but I may be able to show the entrance to a cave with some buildings around it, assuming your cave city would have some buildings around the entrance.

On 10.10.2017 at 5:27 PM, TitusV said:

Wow. Just wow. Though I don't have much time to play games, I still got M&B Warband on my pc. It's a sweet game indeed, and the modability makes it even sweeter, so I absolutely love this project! :wub: 

Now, I'm not good at modding myself, especially because I'm a bit of purist in games too and always try to play the vanilla version. However, since I'm familiar with both the game and the world of Historica, I might be able to help you out on some points if you want to... In that case I'm not thinking of the actually coding or designing itself, but into content/balancing etc.

Anyway, your banners look lovely already! :thumbup: 

I definitely will need help along the way, especially once the game is semi-playable, it'd be nice to have some people test it out.  There are a few other things I have yet to work out--maybe you'll have a few ideas for them.  I'll let you know once I come up with a list.

On 10.10.2017 at 10:25 PM, Legofin2012 said:

That would be incredibly impressive, and even though I'm not a particularly big gamer I'd be tempted to download that game if you make the mod! 

As for a city, if you're looking for a northern town, I'd be more than happy for Mid-River to be included (I've already built a fair bit there) I can give more details if ever you chose Mid-River to be included :sweet: 

Unfortunately I'm finding it hard to be active here at the moment as well. but although it's not Historical related I've got a pretty big Cyberpunk build in the works!

I'm finding that I'll need a lot of little villages, so really, I think any settlement that has some builds should be able to be included.  I can't have everyone's settlement be a large town or city, so a lot will end up being considered villages.  The biggest things I need to include a settlement were listed in my last post--lord, sigil, castle name (if applicable) etc.

16 hours ago, MiloNelsiano said:

I appreciate the support!  Actually, this reminds me that in addition to settlements with lords, I will also have to come up with some companions (without a settlement) that the player can enlist into their party.

I probably won't be able to do a cave settlement, but I may be able to show the entrance to a cave with some buildings around it, assuming your cave city would have some buildings around the entrance.

I definitely will need help along the way, especially once the game is semi-playable, it'd be nice to have some people test it out.  There are a few other things I have yet to work out--maybe you'll have a few ideas for them.  I'll let you know once I come up with a list.

I'm finding that I'll need a lot of little villages, so really, I think any settlement that has some builds should be able to be included.  I can't have everyone's settlement be a large town or city, so a lot will end up being considered villages.  The biggest things I need to include a settlement were listed in my last post--lord, sigil, castle name (if applicable) etc.

Sure, just drop me a PM any time! If possible, I really want to help you out!

I've read through all of the different guilds (their backgrounds, their types of cities and such), and decided that I'd like my character to be a Dwarf Warlord (not really a dwarf, since I will be using the normal mini fig legs, as for mobility, but... whatever, he's still a dwarf). I've narrowed it down to two. Mitgardia and Kaliphan (a snow or desert Dwarf Warlord). Avalonia seems more like elvish stuff, (so agility versus strength), and Nocturnus seems like the place for Spell casters or Orcs. I would love if you could give some suggestions as to which guild I should join. 

Deuces.

T

1 hour ago, Tyndale said:

I've read through all of the different guilds (their backgrounds, their types of cities and such), and decided that I'd like my character to be a Dwarf Warlord (not really a dwarf, since I will be using the normal mini fig legs, as for mobility, but... whatever, he's still a dwarf). I've narrowed it down to two. Mitgardia and Kaliphan (a snow or desert Dwarf Warlord). Avalonia seems more like elvish stuff, (so agility versus strength), and Nocturnus seems like the place for Spell casters or Orcs. I would love if you could give some suggestions as to which guild I should join. 

Deuces.

T

Welcome, Tyndale!

Dwarves are a race found all through Historica, so you could settle anywhere; but Mitgardia has the most robust dwarf civilization of any of the guilds. So, if you wanted to join with a strong dwarf alliance, of sorts, Mitgardia is for you, but if you want to forge your own path, any of the others would work. It perhaps depends slightly on your brick collection: do you have more white for snow scenes or tan for desert? (Not, of course, that all Mitgardian builds have to have snow, or that all Kaliphlin builds are in the desert.) It is up to you, though I of course would advocate for Avalonia, myself...

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Two words: Join Kaliphlin. :grin:  Nah, seriously, join whichever one inspires you most!  What gets your creative juices flowing more - a snowy, rugged, pioneer outpost or a rich, sultry, luxurious desert city?  But actually, within both guilds there's plenty of room for differences (for instance, Kaliphlin has large sections of swamps, desert, and mountains, besides bordering Avalonia's forests), and you can always have your character visit a different guild, so you might actually want to look more at which colors/storyline you like best, rather than what kind of landscape.  But Mitgardia and Kaliphlin are both awesome, so you'll be sure to make a good choice whichever one you go with. :wink:

Tall dwarves have already happened in Historica, but that was in Mitgardia. In the beginning the leader of Kaliphlin was a dwarf. People forget because he has been gone for so long. While you won't find swamplands and lava fields here, in Kaliphlin you can find green forested regions (flat and mountainous), grasslands, snowy mountaintops, river delta mud fields, and of course lots of desert.

I'm a Nocty to the core, but Kaliphin is a great guild! In addition to everything said above, they also have a King who delivered the most complete smackdown ever seen in historica. :devil:

Just now, Umbra-Manis said:

I'm a Nocty to the core, but Kaliphin is a great guild! In addition to everything said above, they also have a King who delivered the most complete smackdown ever seen in historica. :devil:

Speak for yourself!  The Desert King is no King of mine! :tongue:

This is really a great idea! I have chosen Game Design as a speciality route in my ICT studies, and I already made a GoH-based demo game to finish a project with the second best grade possible ;P I would be really interested to play your mod once you succeed!

As has been said before: choose whichever guild you have the best feeling for!

(though honestly, Avalonia is just too cool)

On 19-10-2017 at 6:52 PM, Tyndale said:

I've read through all of the different guilds (their backgrounds, their types of cities and such), and decided that I'd like my character to be a Dwarf Warlord

-snip-  and Nocturnus seems like the place for Spell casters or Orcs. I would love if you could give some suggestions as to which guild I should join. 

Nocturnus has the Rakath mountains, as well as a vastly unexplored abyssal system, so you may want to consider the Darklands a second time! :wink: 

Desert Dwarf Warlord sound interesting, though.

(Your profile pics is perfectly Nocty, btw!)

Hey guys, not sure if this is the place to ask but I've been having some trouble with the spoiler option. I tried adding a spoiler into my post but it instead put the whole post in a spoiler and I can't seem to remove it. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Edited by Merc4Hire

On 11-11-2017 at 7:10 PM, Merc4Hire said:

Hey guys, not sure if this is the place to ask but I've been having some trouble with the spoiler option. I tried adding a spoiler into my post but it instead put the whole post in a spoiler and I can't seem to remove it. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Reveal hidden contents

I hope this has been resolved in the meantime? If not, I'll try helping. On desktop, removing should never be an issue, so I assume you are on mobile or tablet. I tried on my iPad, but I didn't encounter any problem when typing [.spoiler]  [./spoiler], when all the text you want to hide is between those. I didn't see the spoiler button in the interface (on iPad) though, whereas it is there on desktop. And I think you are right: you cannot remove a quote or spoiler on mobile/tablet if there isn't a line under it. 

56 minutes ago, Wendolla8319 said:

Hello. I am new to Eurobricks, and I intend to join GoH.

Awesome! Welcome to the Guilds, and welcome to Eurobricks, Wendolla8319!

Look around, read up on the stories of the guilds (but don't feel the need to read everything, or even close to everything), and, when you feel comfortable, pick one of the four guilds to join by introducing your preferred sigfig. If you have questions, ask them here, or in the threads of the individual guilds. Members are always happy to answer questions and help you out with whatever you need. 

Again, welcome!

15 hours ago, Wendolla8319 said:

Hello. I am new to Eurobricks, and I intend to join GoH.

Welcome to the Guilds, Wendolla! 

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Awesome! Welcome to the Guilds, and welcome to Eurobricks, Wendolla8319!

Look around, read up on the stories of the guilds (but don't feel the need to read everything, or even close to everything), and, when you feel comfortable, pick one of the four guilds to join by introducing your preferred sigfig. If you have questions, ask them here, or in the threads of the individual guilds. Members are always happy to answer questions and help you out with whatever you need. 

Again, welcome!

Thank you Henjin (and you Extrius), I've looked around at the guilds, and I'll probably join Nocturnus

Okay, so I've figured out the free building thing, but the "quarter 6" challenge is confusing me a little. What is the story we're building a conflict in?

8 minutes ago, Wendolla8319 said:

Okay, so I've figured out the free building thing, but the "quarter 6" challenge is confusing me a little. What is the story we're building a conflict in?

The "Book II Challenge V" contest is over, and the "A Safe Haven - 5th Anniversary Challenge" has been extended until February. There is not a Quarter 6 challenge out there, but there is a quarter 6 freebuild registration; that is just a place to keep track of the various freebuilds you have built in the given time frame. I think that at one point there was a sort of points system that was tied to the number of freebuilds that a given guild had in each quarter, that somehow benefited the winning guild; but I am not sure that it still works that way, as I have been building here and following the goings-on fairly consistently for a year and a half, without any mention of guild points being made. We are currently in a sort of limbo between Book II and Book III, so there is no overarching conflict to build a part of; the only thing that applies to everyone is the Safe Haven challenge, and you need five freebuilds to participate in that (which you can make now). And that challenge is not really about conflict, anyway. 

Moral of the story: introduce your sigfig and start building his/her story now, and worry about how it fits into the overarching story later. If you want a battle in your story, build a battle scene! If you don't, then don't. You make the rules in your story, as long as you don't claim to be the best or most superlative at anything, or defy the very simple rules of the guilds (like no technology, for example). 

Just start building. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Welcome to Historica, Wendolla!

As always, HQ's was faster and better than myself, so I propose you just listen to him :wink: (though don't join Nocty! :tongue:)