Sign in to follow this  
Fugazi

Interview with Designer Andy Seenan on club.LEGO.com

In the spirit of learning more about the creators of our favourite sets, I would like to point out that the latest LEGO Club magazine features a short interview with Designer Andy Seenan. Andy has designed 31010 Tree House and presumably other Creator sets. Below is a scan of the (short version) interview from the magazine, while the full interview is available on club.LEGO.com.

9034381611_78d78c6413_b.jpg

Seenan by -Fugazi-, on Flickr

A few salient quotes from the online interview:

Meet LEGO® Creator Designer

Andy Seenan...Treehouse Technician!

Everyone at LEGO Club loves the LEGO Creator studios and wouldn’t miss a chance to meet the designers, if only to play with their bricks! Recently we met with Andrew Hugh Seenan - trombonist, soccer player, bad snowboarder and the man behind the new Treehouse set. We then bought him a coffee, his building drink!

What did you do before you became a LEGO Designer?

I went to college and studied car design. This has really helped me design some awesome cars. Vehicles are my favorite models to create!

Did you always want to be a LEGO Designer?

I played with LEGO bricks a lot as a kid and actually never believed such a job existed. It is a bit of dream job though and wouldn’t want to do anything else. I had to move to Denmark from the UK but it was amazing opportunity. My Danish needs to improve though!

That is really neat. I always enjoy reading about the designers and their thought process and how they got their start and what have you. My wife glimpsed at this set and was really pleased with it. I may have to pick it up for the little one. It does have lots of neat features. I could see why a kid would enjoy it.

Hi

there is something worth to mention. I did not know they are testing their models with the heat of ovens. Sounds interesting and reasonable. maybe that will be a method for those Moccers that try to follow Legos designing rules (e.g. Anio). "Even to oven test did not fail!" :D

Dino

Just an advice. Oven tests is a destructive test, the bricks will never get their clutch power back again.

Erland

Part Design.