I recently added one of my all-time favorite Technic sets ever, the 8420 Street Bike. The 8420 features many unique parts such as the rims and staggered width tires, printed windscreen, brake discs and rear shock. The overall look is that of an Italian superbike and the designers were obviously influenced by the Ducati 999 but also the Gilera CX as seen by the front and rear single sided wheel mounts. I added panels to the gas tank area to fill it in and a gas cap on top.

I would do a full review but there is no way I could match the already excellent write-up by Starstreak found here.

Having bought this set used I was curious if the set came with the rubber tires already on the rims in the box? I noticed the tires on my set are opposite of each other, with the tread pattern in different directions. It seems like a lot of 8420's have this same issue since many photos show the same thing.

84201.jpg

84204.jpg

84205.jpg

84203.jpg

84207.jpg

84208.jpg

84209s.jpg

84202.jpg

Edited by therealjustin

I wish I had this bike, because of the excellent looks. Your photographs are very good.

This might be stupid, but why don't you mount the wheel just the other way around? Then the profile goes in the correct direction.

Absolutely stunning bike! I can't believe this is an actual set. :cry_happy:

Forgive me for suggesting, but can't you just rotate the tire 180 to get the tread to match? (Edit: beaten to it)

Edited by Doc_Brown

looks like the wheel only goes one way around, if you look one side has flat spokes the other side are curved,

looks like the wheel only goes one way around, if you look one side has flat spokes the other side are curved,

Now that you mentioned it, I can see it. But he could still dismount the tyre, turn it around and mount it again on the wheel.

Having bought this set used I was curious if the set came with the rubber tires already on the rims in the box? I noticed the tires on my set are opposite of each other, with the tread pattern in different directions. It seems like a lot of 8420's have this same issue since many photos show the same thing.

The tires were loose in the box. You can remove them from the wheels and turn them around to fix the tread problem. They fit very tight so it will be tricky.

Why do some have a yellow rear shock?

Early sets came with a yellow shock. Mine is yellow. Can't say why they changed it.

On a real motorcycle the tire treads actually go in opposite directions. It's because the rear wheel drives the bike forward, so the tread is set up to apply force against the ground toward the rear of the bike. The front tire provides most of the stopping power, so the tread is set up to apply force against the ground toward the front of the bike. (This is a VERY simple explanation, and I'm sure someone who has a physics or engineering background is cursing me right now).

So LEGO has actually made it realistic instead of "looking right". :classic:

You just blew my mind! I have never noticed this before but it totally makes sense. The front and rear tires experience forces from opposite directions, the front from braking and the rear from acceleration.

I'm glad I got this set before the prices went through the roof on ebay..

funny.. I'm not a huge motorbike fan, but somehow, throughout my collecting, the last decade, I've managed to get nearly every Technic motorcycle!

Incl. 2 copies of the butt-ugly 8417 mag wheel master (good rims, though!)

8420 is by far the best looking one, IMHO.. and decent mechanics in it too... I'd say even better than 2010's 8051?

RB

I only had room for one Technic bike and was deciding between the 8420 and 8051. The 8420 won in the end because it is 8 years old and availability is hard to predict for the future. Prices for used sets are decent now but for how long?

So I bought a used 8420 with box and manuals for $35.

Upon checking the parts, I thought the PO hacked the suspension by putting screws in it.

I'm relieved when I saw the picture on the box and the shock absorger really has screws on it.

Most of the reviews here have gray color but the one I have is yellow.

220820131049_zps116565de.jpg

Also, the rims have slightly yellowed on one side as shown on the pictures.

I tried to take-off the wheels in the rims but its very hard, I think I might break the rims.

Do you have any suggestions on how to take them off?

I plan to clean them using the Oxywater/Oxyclean solution

Good side vs Bad

220820131047_zps09c0bf21.jpg

Both good sides

220820131054_zps3d28bd1c.jpg

Both bad sides

220820131053_zpsd58fb805.jpg

Oxyclean, hot water and a tooth brush. You got the set from a smoker??

I'll try to clean it with the wheels attach, though my initial plan is to soak them with oxyclean solution for atleast a day (if the rubbers would come off the wheels).

The lego parts did not smell any smoke, so I presume it was placed near sunlight

You got the yellow shock absorber? Dang that's lucky! They're worth a lot of money (even more than the grey ones).

Edited by TwentyLeggedHen

I checked bricklink and the yellow shocks cost $25 - $35 each (used)!

That's the same cost for what I bought for the whole set! :cry_happy:

Also, the rims have slightly yellowed on one side as shown on the pictures.

I tried to take-off the wheels in the rims but its very hard, I think I might break the rims.

Do you have any suggestions on how to take them off?

I plan to clean them using the Oxywater/Oxyclean solution

Good side vs Bad

Don't,

I remember these tires did take some force to get on the rims. And that was back when this set and the rubber where new.

Now that the rubber has hardened slightly over the years they might not want to go back on the rims, If you'd even manage to get them off without damage to the rim's and tires.

I would make a mixture of Retr0Bright gel and apply it to the rims. Don't let it set on there for more than a few hours though, and it might also be a good idea to put painters tape around the edges to mask off the rubber tires.

the thread pattern on both wheels were facing the other way.. but i don't mind, i can live with it..I might break the rims if I force the tires out...

sorry for the crappy cellphone pics, it's hard to take pictures at night

230820131058_zps201cb91d.jpg

230820131057_zps38fad09f.jpg

my 8051 motorbike has a much softer rubber and can be taken off anytime..

230820131062_zps27a4827b.jpg