Savage Oppress

What Lego-related thing did you do today?

Gotten into a groove of washing and laying out to dry a 32 oz. yogurt container of dirty LEGO parts daily. My backlog of bulk hauls will finally become clean and sorted in with my other parts.

Bought an awesome tray from Ikea. To avoid dropping bits on the floor, I use trays to sort Lego when building a set, or to sort through a box of single-coloured bricks when I'm "just playing", but the only trays I had were multi-coloured. This one is white and HUGE! Perfect.

PF motor testing.

Haha, i love that, love how the youtube play icon is positioned, kept me wondering until it started playing!

On topic, ordered some extra parts for modding my 42036 further last night, and i should receive another BL order today, so more tinkering tonight, in addition to wasting most of the workday on here killing time.

And trying not to order more stuff.... budget and all that.

Got some more sorting done. I can see a bit of table surface, not covered with LEGO. :laugh:

Haha, i love that, love how the youtube play icon is positioned, kept me wondering until it started playing!

Thank you. That's good to know the play icon can provide a "reveal" feature. :classic:

Yesterday I went to the home of a dear friend who was recently hoitalized with a terminal diagnosis, and who passed away last week. In the days before he died he was putting his affairs in order as his family and friends, including myself, visited him to see him one last time, offer what comfort and companionship we could, and say goodbye; during this timeframe, in the midst of taking care of what he could, he was bequeathing his various possessions to everyone, and he gave me his old LEGO. He had a collection of older sets - a small one by the standards of most here, but all good (what LEGO isn't?), mainly classic Space and Castle stuff from the early to mid-'80s, not necessarily complete or in perfect shape, but wonderful. I went to his home yesterday to collect it along with a few items of furniture.

I'm very glad to have it all, and the Space stuff in particular is some of the stuff I desired most in all the world, but it's pretty much the absolute last way I can think of that I'd like to add to my collection, and I'd give it all back plus everything I already owned to get my friend back. But there's nothing I or anyone or anything else on Earth, no matter how powerful, can do to make that happen.

:/

Today I finally got around to opening up the Plano cases and cardboard boxes this stuff was in, in order to check it out, see what I have, and start cleaning it. It appears to be not just mostly but entirely vintage Castle and Space. Not all the instructions are there, and I don't know yet if all the pieces are either, but it appears my friend left me:

6030 Catapult

6073 Knight's Castle (x2!)

6080 King's Castle (!)

6822 Space Shuttle

6823 Surface Transport

6927 All-Terrain Vehicle (no instructions, so not sure - guessing based on parts)

6929 Starfleet Voyager (x2!)

... and one to three additional LEGOLAND Space sets, going by the minifigures present. I'll figure it out.

There's also an ancient note that looks like a LEGO shopping list someone gave someone back in the day, complete with set numbers, notes about set features, advisories about part selection preferences, and names of local toy stores where they could be found, with price info; I guess my friend must have made it for a friend or family member to use when shopping for him. The other side is an apparently unrelated note concerning someone he was apparently babysitting (he'd have been in his early to mid 20s at the time he got these sets - an early AFOL!). I feel incredibly privileged to have been granted this little peek into his life back then.

I still miss him terribly. I do feel very fortunate to have this old LEGO of his, though the way I got it has kept me from getting as excited about it as I otherwise would. But I'm still very much looking forward to figuring out just exactly what I've got, putting these old sets together, and ultimately merging it all into my own existing collection. First, though, I'll take a bit of time to clean the parts up a bit.

Also today, I picked up a couple of the LEGO-licensed Isis project cases (with baseplates in green - and not the bright green ones sold individually now!), plus a clearanced copy of 70817 Batman & Super Angry Kitty Attack. I now need just three more sets from The LEGO Movie, aside from super-rare promos and the upcoming LEGO Dimensions stuff, though one of them is Metalbeard's Sea Cow. Will I make it to (more or less) completion? We'll see; let's hope...

Today I finally got around to opening up the Plano cases and cardboard boxes this stuff was in, in order to check it out, see what I have, and start cleaning it. It appears to be not just mostly but entirely vintage Castle and Space. Not all the instructions are there, and I don't know yet if all the pieces are either, but it appears my friend left me:

6030 Catapult

6073 Knight's Castle (x2!)

6080 King's Castle (!)

6822 Space Shuttle

6823 Surface Transport

6927 All-Terrain Vehicle (no instructions, so not sure - guessing based on parts)

6929 Starfleet Voyager (x2!)

... and one to three additional LEGOLAND Space sets, going by the minifigures present. I'll figure it out.

There's also an ancient note that looks like a LEGO shopping list someone gave someone back in the day, complete with set numbers, notes about set features, advisories about part selection preferences, and names of local toy stores where they could be found, with price info; I guess my friend must have made it for a friend or family member to use when shopping for him. The other side is an apparently unrelated note concerning someone he was apparently babysitting (he'd have been in his early to mid 20s at the time he got these sets - an early AFOL!). I feel incredibly privileged to have been granted this little peek into his life back then.

I still miss him terribly. I do feel very fortunate to have this old LEGO of his, though the way I got it has kept me from getting as excited about it as I otherwise would. But I'm still very much looking forward to figuring out just exactly what I've got, putting these old sets together, and ultimately merging it all into my own existing collection. First, though, I'll take a bit of time to clean the parts up a bit.

Also today, I picked up a couple of the LEGO-licensed Isis project cases (with baseplates in green - and not the bright green ones sold individually now!), plus a clearanced copy of 70817 Batman & Super Angry Kitty Attack. I now need just three more sets from The LEGO Movie, aside from super-rare promos and the upcoming LEGO Dimensions stuff, though one of them is Metalbeard's Sea Cow. Will I make it to (more or less) completion? We'll see; let's hope...

Thats a shitty way to get lego, but at least you know you shared a passion with your friend, and he could at least pass knowing his sets were going to be appreciated.

And it gives you some very nice mementos of you friend

EDIT:

Received two BL orders, used the parts in one to mod my 42036 street bike, the other one is for modding the 42039 24 le-mans car

And promptly placed another bricklink order once i found out the shop i just bought from had a whole bunch of hard to find red panels, and added some more red parts and some pins etc..

Bricklink and tech modding are a dangerous combo for my wallet

Edited by vectormatic

Finally got some time for handling some bricks today. First I took pictures of some of my sets for documenation. Afterwards I started parting out 41058 Heartlake Shopping Mall. Got that a month ago and built it right away. But as I am not going to keep it as a set, I took it apart and sorted the bricks into my containers. Some of the accessories and bricks are going to my department store which I want to finish updating so soon. A few other bricks will go to my next MOC project and some to some MOD'ing projects I have got. And then the big question: What am I going to use all the "friendly" coloured parts for (lavender, purple, pink, cool yellow...)?

I tore back into my 42039 last night, i previously modded the nose, added a rear fin and extra bodywork, but after mulling it over for a while, it wasnt finished after all.

I managed to rebuild the rear suspension to be one stud lower (although ill have to see if the current solution will cope with the added bodywork once i add that back on), allowing me to drop the engine cover one stud, making for a more slender and LMP-true back-end of the car. Next job will be adjusting the engine cover to line up correctly with the cockpit again, remoddeling the back end to fit in nicely with the dropped cover, and filling body work gaps.

And then the next step is shortening the front, mainly the splitter and the cockpit, to get it close to real LMP1 proportions.

Received a box from LEGO with my MOC from Fan Expo. They saved me a trip picking it up at their offices. :classic:

Well... Yesterday was my first trip to a Lego store. Went to the one in Columbus, Ohio and got a few things. 3 minifigures, 2 large cups (no luck asking about a box) & the 42043 Arocs. My girlfriend got the 10234 Sydney Opera House.