Savage Oppress

What Lego-related thing did you do today?

My job involves working with wood. Cut and cleave logs to firewood, pack the wood, and other things like making pallets and garden tables.

Today I made a shelf that I'm going to set up above the desk where I build. I'll put my models on the shelf to get more free space on the desk, and not having to move them around all the time to get space.

Looked at a few buildings while walking about to gain some inspiration for my modular hospital which is at a standstill since I have run out of ideas for the second floor.

I finalized a stand for my Sith Fury-class Interceptor last night, and I'll be fixing one up tonight for the Jedi Defender-class Cruiser I'd like to own. I'll probably even make a post in the SW forums to show it off! :classic:

Hint No. 1

Four flights over 35 hours.

Hint No. 2

They accept SD and RM here.

I'd pick Singapore... send us a postcard!

<edit> I hope you packed some mini-modulars without instructions for the flight

Edited by eurotrash

Eurotrash:

Hahaha....man are you fast!

Yup, Singapore is correct!

Have spent some good time with WhieFang and his lively wife....they are wonderful folks and send their greetings to Hinck.

Finally visited Legoland Malaysia yesterday as it is Friday 9.30 am now in S'pore. I think that they should just shorten that to Spore!

Will write a short review of LMalaysia shortly.

What did I buy at the Park? Lunch plus a single LM keychain for me. And LOTS of stuff for others!

More later!

^ You visited legoland malaysia? Was it cool...

Today I finished some Avalonian Fighting Elves. They aren't for my guild but I had so much fun with the idea I barfed up some "Elven Sword Sirens" Singing Elves of the Enchanted Forest.

Here are some notes from my first visit to Legoland Malaysa while visiting Singapore. So glad I went yesterday! Heading home from two weeks in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.

Access: 

Going through the border inspections, two of them, meant getting off the bus and going through a line. The second time required taking all of our bags off the bus and clearing immigration again. A pain in the neck. Do not forget to carry your portion of the entry card you used to get into Singapore because it is required to exit the place. Yup, I forgot it, and my bus had to wait ten minutes for immigration to pull up a new one on their computers. Ugh!

It was too long of a walk into the Park from where the bus dropped us. And then it was too far to carry yourself and all your purchases out of the Park. I asked for a wheelchair on the way out, and the kind aide rolled me to the bus stop as a huge thunderstorm approached. Please don't warn me of the dangers of sitting under a metal roof during a thunderstorm. (I was ready to expire at that point! ) A neighbor died when lightening struck a metal shed roof on a golf course.

Much of the hike to the entrance was not covered so it was very hot in the heat. Did I say it was very hot? Almost as bad as Saudi heat midday in July. But at least there we had AC and a freezer door we could open and stand in until we could breathe normally again after being in the 132 F temp outside. 

Food and drinks:

Great chicken lasagna in the Cafe was 22 RM (about 7US) with a drink and a little lettuce. Wonderful!

Ice was great for all the cold drinks because is was so hot. (Are you listeming Gunzburg?) Had to guzzle one drink every hour to stay upright.

In restaurants there were few drinks without lots of sugar, incl iced tea. They badly need more sugar free choices for the many Little Emperors, etc., with heavy duty vocal chords. The noise of loud schoolchildren and adults in the eating places was way over the top. Noise canceling headphones are the only way to survive this bedlam. They terribly need to add some soundproofing before someone goes berserk from the high decibel level.

Shops:

There was not much on sale except tee shirts, some of which were fifty or seventy per cent off. Great gifts!

There were few items specific to Malaysia except keychains, tees, hats, mugs and picture frames. Would have liked to purchase some small  Malaysian sets that represented something on this side of the world.

Most sets were 40 to 80 per cent higher than LEGO retail prices in the US, so there was no reason for me to buy them. One of my favorite sets, the small Creator fierce flyer, was about the same price as in the US; it is overpriced in the US. TRU prices in Spore's Little India district were about the same as those in the Park. Likewise with TRU LEGO prices in Kuala Lumpur.

LEGO VIP cards are not recognized in the Park. An annual pass to LM brings at least a ten per cent discount and more on many sale items, which puts them into reach for many visitors. The majority of guests appeared to be Chinese and Indian followed by Aussies. They are used to very high LEGO prices and bought sets in the Park. As far as I could see, there did not seem to be anyone from the US or the UK there, but there were several German families.

Miniland:

Fantastic Asian only exhibits were worth the trip! But the area needs to be covered to make it bearable and keep the bricks looking good. The bonsai-ed plants had not yet died in the heat, and looked good to a person who grew up in the West Texas desert.  (There is not enough money in the world to employ me as a LM plant trimmer even though I enjoy xeriscaping...growing native plants that require little water besides the rain.)

There were builds from India, Cambodia, Viet Nam, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and a few other places. It is much fun studying the scenes from many countries because they are so widely different and creative. And they require an astounding number of bricks.

Rides:

As at Gunzburg, my favorite rides were the little Nissan cars that toddlers and kids get to drive. The misty, covered car wash looked like the best place to spend mid-day. The little boat rides also looked like fun until the wind began blowing them backwards and all hell broke out. The little kids train was a huge success with everyone because it was covered, and it ran through Miniland and a few other places.

The other rides looked similar to those at Gunzburg from what I could see at a distance. Maybe they should rent covered electric golf carts on weekdays. (Weekends are said to be a zoo.) Several attractions were closed for renovation...the cool theatre was on that list, which was a shame because there were so few places with AC. And they could use some seating for the disabled who are waiting for a train ride, etc.

Staff: 

The restaurant staff members were super friendly and eager to speak with you. 

In general the staff were helpful and happy to take photos when I asked and most of them could understand my English. They were all shocked that a woman travelled ALONE this far....OMG, but I got that question from almost everyone I saw in Spore, too.

It is wonderful that they located this Park in Malaysia because it provides much needed jobs for Malaysians and does lower the prices of entry and food over what would charged in Spore. It does make the travel time significantly longer for most guests.

Water Park:

The official opening date is about three weeks from now. (It us located next to the hotel, which is slated to open in 2014.) Not sure how kids can enjoy this during the day because water temps will be steamy if it is not covered and too cold if it is. And their skin will be fried within minutes. Hummm.

Summary:

I enjoyed my day at the Park! It is fun watching the kids do anything related to LEGO, and this Park gives families more options involving LEGO. Many Aussies and Indians visit Spore and Malaysia, and the Chinese as well are looking for closer foreign places to vacation.

It was surprising that the first Asian park is not across the border from Hong Kong, but maybe it is too difficult to build and manage a park in China, and HK land is too scarce as it is around Spore. It is hard for Chinese citizens to get visas to HK, so that would be another problem.

TLC has a huge logistical and cultural challenge trying to serve the huge geographical spread of Asia. LM is a good test market for this part of the world.

Edited by Legogal

I washed and sorted a lot of old bricks today, and my bathroom is full of Lego bricks,to be dry.

Spent twelve hours at Lego exhibition in which our LUG has been invited to participate. Another six hours to follow tomorrow.

^^ Pictures or it didn't happen Legogal :classic:

#Jealous

Hahaha! Got the sunburn to prove it because every time I took a photo, my umbrella fell down!

Just walked in the door at home....35 hours after leaving Singapore. Will load photos on flickr as soon as my eyes uncross. Tried to post one photo that night but could not reduce the number of pixels and no helpful geeks around at the time. Patience!

Removed my September display from the Lego store. 35 min. drive.

Legogal, 35 hours is crazy long. Was it a day trip?

Legogal, 35 hours is crazy long. Was it a day trip?

Day trip? 35 hours is almost a day-and-a-half trip! :laugh:

Yup, 35 hours to Raleigh to NYC to Frankfurt to Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, and 35 hours back.

Crazy? More like insane!

But my last full day was at Legoland Malaysia across the river from Singapore, and it was worth it.

And Singapore Airlines knows how not to torture economy class passengers. Actually I like them a lot!

Especially their 1100.USD round trip from JFK to KL. No way I could pass up that fare...

Here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75868658@N06/

Enjoy the LM Miniland photos....it was a blast/heat wave for sure! (Eyes still crossed, but they should open fully tomorrow.)

Especially their 1100.USD round trip from JFK to KL. No way I could pass up that fare...

That's a good deal - I'm looking at a grand to get from KC to the UK :angry:

Thanks for linking to the pictures you took - I really like the Angor Wat with the elephants - they're excellent.... and the Taj Mahal Wow! You must have a suitcase full of memories form the trip!

Miniland was worth the trip!

There is a lot to see in both KL and Singapore, so if possible, put a few days in your schedule for both of those cities when you go to L Malaysia.

I learned that their rainy season is Nov-Dec, so do check rainfall for the days of your visit. And I'm very sad to say that I was strongly advised by locals not to stay in nearby Johor Bahru because of high crime rates against tourists. The WTS bus works well from the Singapore Flyer station. Be prepared for extremely high prices of everything (especially hotel rooms) in Singapore.

My favorite stops in KL were the Royal Selangor Pewter factory, Islamic Arts Museum and Petronas Towers.

In Singapore, the Orchid Garden, Jurong Bird Park, Night Safari at the Zoo, and the National Museum were tops.

LEGO prices at TRU and other shops in both cities were about 50 per cent or more higher than US LEGO stores. Happy trails!