Erik Leppen

CoasterDynamix Lego-compatible roller coaster parts

Awesome, I can't wait to see that built. I am also lacking sufficient pieces, and am making an order with the next pay check.

I saw that at the last brickworld 2013 in Chicago, and indeed those are very useful parts. I wonder if the track spacing is narrow enough to make GBC tracks ...

Edited by DrJB

Delays were caused by UPS not delivering to a Post Office. Which is ironic considering the function of a post office. Anyway they turned up at an alternative address without delay and I have been enjoying experimenting with this system.

Hope to report on some findings soon.

I saw that at the last brickworld 2013 in Chicago, and indeed those are very useful parts. I wonder if the track spacing is narrow enough to make GBC tracks ...

I tried it before and found track spacing is too wide for the 14mm balls used for GBCs. You could make a roller coaster to carry and dump the balls.

Sorry to bring up a old topic can anyone update on this? I have been looking at the coasterdynamix sets and would like to hear from you guys now that you have has the sets for awhile? Any pic or video would be awesome.I saw some vids on youtube but there is not much out there

Thanks

Edited by mjp

It's ironic that you revived this thread, mjp, because I ordered my first set of these only yesterday. Now I'm worried about complaints of part counts... I wasn't going to build a huge coaster, anyway, but the video on the website doesn't look like it has such tight spacing... I think the key to curves is proper banking, which might be very difficult to figure out how much track you need.

Anyway:

The Roller Coaster Factor page is here.

Edited by fred67

Funnily enough I was just thinking about this as well. I haven't had the time or opportunity to "play" with my sets yet. Was hoping to see some good creations by now to get the creative juices flowing but there doesn't seem to be a great deal out there at the moment.

I have built 2 coasters with the sets I had purchased. I don't have any pics of them, and I just dismantled it again recently to store away. I can give some tips though:

The hardest thing is manipulating the track, particularly over a bend (think top of the ascent hill); the track wants to roll about 90 degrees to make the bend, but you need it to remain straight to attach the beams between them. I found attaching beams about 1.5" apart and then bending the track between them (slowly) worked.

Corners were also tricky for me at first, but then I discovered that forming the corner with the beams is the easiest way to go, then attach it to the support structure. To form the corner, attach several beams (6 - 10) to the inside track about 1/4" apart. Then attach them to the outside track at a larger distance (1/2" aparts lets say). This will create the corner nicely, and then attach 2 beams at the end of the corner making the track straight again, which reinforces the track and holds the corner in place. Also be aware that if f you make the corners too tight, the cars will bind and stop.

The design of the wheels is also not entirely ideal, as they generate a signifigant amount of friction and the coaster loses momentum pretty quickly. You may need some speed to complete the circuit, which usually involves a pretty big hill to start with. Do not underestimate the size of the hill you will need to build. I started at about 14", and eventually had to build it up to 20" for the coaster to make it full circle.

The front and second car connection also has less movement than the rest of the car connections, meaning it binds often on corners the rest of the cars could make it through fine. I have considered modding it to give it more of a turning radius, but have not done that yet.

Does anyone know if these are still around? Website doesn't go anywhere anymore and I'd really like to be able to pick on up still...

Second to that - has anyone made any coasters since the last update on the thread??

Cheers

My créations with this system. 

Sorry for the long time between the previous post