I have been thinking a bit of late about trying to make a building using LEGO Technic, along the lines of 8680 (see link below)

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8680-1

Most sets and MOC's I have seen are of vehicles or something close to this, has anybody tried a building MOC and want to share any advice or photos? If this was a more modern "studless" type this would be even better.

My idea is to try and do something a little bit different :)

Paul

http://mizibunktechnic.blogspot.com.au/p/my-technic-collection.html

Matt, your cat seems to not give a single f***. :laugh: I would have thought it tries to climb the tower :head_back:

That is a great idea! you could include a elevator or travelator! That would be awesome!

How much lego do you have? :P

Hi,

I don't see why you can't make a technic building/house. I mean, the technic men must live somewhere. Go for it and let us know how you get on.

H

And what functions will it have? That's the whole point of Technic IMO :wink:

Hi

the function as the real thing: build strong, lightwight and high! Ifyou try a 3-4m high building with bricks instead of beams you will see the difference. THAT is a function too.

Dino

I hate to say it, but the studless Burj Khalifa linked by Matt doesn't exactly look very strong...

Add triangles to create strength, rectangles are "foldable".

Of course, a studless 4m high building is much cheaper than a brick-built building of the same height ;)

It is surprisingly strong, but LEGO generally is!

an early version did break in half after being blown over by the wind, which is why I assembled it with the top sticking through the basketball hoop!

It does have some diagonals that I added after the incident which definitely reinforced it a bit, but it could definitely be made a lot stronger.

I think my limiting factor back then was actually my inventory. I ran out of the 3 long pins! I think I also was running low on most beams as well, but that was back in 2009.

My LEGO collection has increased a little bit since then. :wink:

I may make the Kingdom Tower next. when complete, it will be more than 1000m high, and I intend to make a 1:100 scale model!

Edited by Matt The Tuba Guy

Thanks for all the replies :)

I don't really want to give away what I am thinking of building, all I will say is that it will have some Technic type functions in it. I did a little bit of design work on it last night, working on the functions before I make the building around them.

Thanks for all the replies :)

I don't really want to give away what I am thinking of building, all I will say is that it will have some Technic type functions in it. I did a little bit of design work on it last night, working on the functions before I make the building around them.

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing it! :sweet:

At the end of the day its you're Lego do what you want with it. I personally like to see the things that people come up with that are not like the normal sets rolled out by Lego. There are loads of posts on this forum about Lego always creating vehicles with technic, so why not a building, can't wait to see what you come up with

Well after a few months I have some better ideas on what I want to do with this :)

With the up coming holidays I am planning on making some progress with this.

How about the Space Needle? It seems perfect for building with Technic. And you can even motorize the rotation of the top part for added realism.

I would like to see a building made of technic, maybe a fire station. i'm curious to see what anyone can come up with.

H

I would like to see a building made of technic, maybe a fire station. i'm curious to see what anyone can come up with.

H

Maybe we could look at making it in to a challenge here on the forum?