RaincloudDustbin

Ps4 or XBox One?

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which will you buy?

• Ps4
    • XBox One
    • Neither
    • Wii U

I'll probably wait for years until the prices become something I won't balk at; if Sony doesn't screw it's users (like it did with PS3, locking out alternate OS's - and yes, I'm a linux user), I may buy a PS4.

The problem with all the back and forth going on now is that you have to wait for a year or two after they're released - then you'll see Sony say "well, we have to start doing this or that because the content providers are demanding it!" Then you'll all unplug your PS4s from the net so that it won't automatically update, but you'll rent a blu-ray disc that will include a PS4 update on it, and install without even asking.

Then you'll complain, and Sony will point out the fine print in the EULA that says they can screw you as much as they want.

Tin foil hat? No, it'd be just like the PS3 all over again.

Edited by fred67

Were two new options edited in? :P

I question the validity of the poll lol. Two of those options didn't exist earlier, the numbers are skewed!

I'll probably wait for years until the prices become something I won't balk at; if Sony doesn't screw it's users (like it did with PS3, locking out alternate OS's - and yes, I'm a linux user), I may buy a PS4.

Why would you switch the OS on a game console? Is there a reason for it? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm on the fence now. X1 isn't as bad as the fumbling reveal a few weeks back made it out to be. And they've got some great exclusives, too. Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Halo (obviously). But it's a hundred bucks more expensive than the PS4, and there's still all this uncertainty about its connection and used games business... :sceptic:

Were two new options edited in? :P

I question the validity of the poll lol. Two of those options didn't exist earlier, the numbers are skewed!

Actually, I just added in Wii U because it was requested. Delete your vote if you want to change. :classic:

Why would you switch the OS on a game console? Is there a reason for it? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm on the fence now. X1 isn't as bad as the fumbling reveal a few weeks back made it out to be. And they've got some great exclusives, too. Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Halo (obviously). But it's a hundred bucks more expensive than the PS4, and there's still all this uncertainty about its connection and used games business... :sceptic:

The PS3 had a feature where you could install an alternate OS such as some flavors of Linux, and basically use it as a fairly inexpensive high powered Linux box. Some labs, researchers and hobbiests found it to be a cheap and easy way to daisy chain linux installed PS3's to make true supercomputers. But then SONY crippled the feature for fear that it was being used to hack the console and distribute pirated hacked games. ad possibly a Linux loaded PS3 might be able to take a run at PSN. (They were surprisingly close, it was a lost or out of direct control developer PS3 that was actually used.)

The niche users have never forgiven SONY for removing that feature.

Which Lego console will you choose?

Lego PS4?

Lego Xbox One?

Lego Wii?

I'm gonna hold out for a year and just get a Wii U this x-mas because Pikmin 3.

WHAT???

Just how stupid are they?

And since when did obesity rates and quality of life have anything to do with gamers? Sure, internet connection might, but why would states even be divided up? I can see some countries getting before others, but states? I'm not a gamer by any means, but even I don't see how anybody would buy into this.

Gotta love the last paragraph though:

Gamers in Washington, D.C., the capital of the US, have decided collectively against purchasing any Xbox One or Xbox 360 products as a form of protest. When we asked the representative about support in the capital, she responded, “It was definitely obesity and quality of life that made us decide they were not worth pursuing at all.”

:roflmao:

:laugh:

I give up, Microsoft. I can't find the bright side of this. PS4 it is.

If I'm being honest nothing from the Next generation looks good. The Wii U is nothing new and to me is still living of past franchises. While SSB and Mario are fun games, Nintendo should try to do something different.

The PS4 again is lacking innovation, there's nothing massively different. Sure Graphics are better but Graphics don't make good games. Sony have really played it safe with this console, and its very depressing to see that they don't feel confident to do something truly New.

Xbox have done innovative things but it means nothing to me. One the Games industry needs to get over the whole' You are the controller shit'. Companies need to realise that when I come home I want to hit buttons, not jump infront of a TV. I also feel the whole constantly plugged in thing to be pointless, why does it need to be? The whole connect every 24 hours is ridiculous as well. I have a pretty good Internet connection, I don't have Fibre optic but its still good. However being a BT customer there are times when I have had problems. I had no Internet for 2 weeks when a fuse when in the BT box down the street , and they cut our Internet of by accident one day. We rang them and they apologised, however for some reason they couldn't turn the line on for another six weeks. If I couldn't play the £420 box that I bought for six weeks it would be ridiculous. Nothing amazing with exclusive games.

Lastly it's great Xbox showing of HBO, NFL and all the other American stuff, however it means nothing to me in Europe.

All 3 consoles at the moment look terrible.

I have been an Xbox user since the first big fat box came out back in the day, and I will probably chase the Xbox One to feed my inner Halo fanboy. I also enjoy the thought of the Xbox One as a replacement for television services and disc players along with being a video game console. However it will be at least two years before I get the chance to buy one, so hopefully any launch bugs will be ironed out by then.

Now does this mean I hate the PS4? No, in fact I see it as being more consumer friendly than the Xbox One is presenting itself as right now. If I was a rich man I would buy both an Xbox One and a PS4.

On that note, this console wars stuff has been blown out of proportion. I hate watching Sony fanboys and Microsoft fanboys bashing it out over the web right now. Video game consoles are consumer products, not life or death choices. If all my friends currently with a Xbox 360, sold it and bought a PS4 it would not change my perception of them the least. It is just a plastic box.

Besides, the only consumer product war worth fighting is Lego vs. Megablocks!

Well, Microsoft just brought me back with that. Don't have to miss out on Halo and Forza now. Yay!

Edited by The Brigante

Well, Microsoft just brought me back with that. Don't have to miss out on Halo and Forza now. Yay!

I'm starting to think that, too. Maybe the console's more expensive than the PS4, but the exclusives are much better, in my mind.

Still not letting it in the house until the Kinect can be unplugged

Doubt it. But they said at E3 that you didn't have to use it....so I'm not following on why they're making it mandatory in the first place. :sceptic:

Put a thick black cloth over the sensors, that may work. :wink:

Just 'cuz it can't be unplugged doesn't mean you can't cover it/point it at the wall/stack books in front of it.

Put a thick black cloth over the sensors, that may work. :wink:

Just 'cuz it can't be unplugged doesn't mean you can't cover it/point it at the wall/stack books in front of it.

Yep. same thing i do with my laptop built-in camera. I don't trust those things, no sir.

My PC is awesome enough already. Better graphics than next-gen, better controls (mechanical backlit gaming keyboard), many more indie games, etc. Oh, and modding.

Doubt it. But they said at E3 that you didn't have to use it....so I'm not following on why they're making it mandatory in the first place. :sceptic:

That's because so many people are failing to grasp exactly what the purpose of the Kinect is, and how it relates to MS's business model and plans. Here's a hint. It doesn't have a lot to do with gaming.

And yes they said you don't HAVE to use it. (Ie use voice commands or jump around and wave your arms.) you can also turn it off (when you aren't using the console. Please take careful note of that. If the console is being used this sucker is watching and listening. No two ways about it.) So what is it there for? It's not gaming? Very few games really use the thing. Yeah it's an interesting and jetson's like futuristic way to control your TV, but it seems a little overdone for that?

Here's the kicker that should be making everyone a bit paranoid over this thing. The Kinect is MS's big move to branch into some of Google's territory. I'm talking marketable user metadata. Think about it. The purpose of this thing is to watch you watching TV. It builds profiles of each person that enters its field of view. Further builds deeper user profiles by listening to conversations. It can see eye movements and knows nt just what you are watching, but exactly what part of the screen. And it can track your reactions to things such as emotional state and heart rate via subtly infrared changes to your skin. Oh and remember how much "TV" functionality they built into the console? Yeah. This sucker is designed to be a feedback device to build a vast library of marketing metadata, much like what Google has done with their offerings.

I don't know about you all, but just the potential of such a system creeps the hell out of me.

This video series basically sums up my reaction to the Console Wars at the moment (particularly with regards to 10:30-11:30 of the first vid--note that this was posted on June 11th, so...kudos to the guy in the video for predicting the future!):

PS4.

mostly because of availability.

i found everywhere the games and i like it also very very much.

Xbox for Life. i was never a big fan of playstation. Mainly because of the way the joysticks felt in your hands. The xbox controller FEELS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! and my cousin works for Bungie!