Ok, I'm not going in-depth, just a brief description for those who are interested. The two custom rechargeable battery packs I use consist of three batteries connected (soldered) in series, wrapped in electrical tape. The batteries used look like this:

$T2eC16F,!zEE9s3!(JH8BRZvjQ3GUw~~60_3.JPG

and my battery packs look like this:

dscn1638.jpg

To charge them you also need a 'power supply'-a device that regulates current and voltage to give power or in this case, charge the batteries. If you have a background in electronics, and if you are good at soldering and have access to all the components/wires/power supply box, then you can try to make your own. All details about the batteries themselves such as voltage, maximum current, charging voltage&current can all be found at this ebay link, where you can buy them for about 8-9 dollars each http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenergy-Tenergy-LiFePO4-18650-3-2V-1100mAh-Power-Cell-Max-25A-w-Tabs-SALE-/390575207953?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item5af018b611

seems very interesting!

but i have a question:

how much do they weigh?

i mean i have two lipos of 70g each are they lighter

:\ hmmmmm too much!...they would be also cool coz they seem to be smaller than the lipo but that's 260g 10 grams more than the 6batteries pack

:\ hmmmmm too much!...they would be also cool coz they seem to be smaller than the lipo but that's 260g 10 grams more than the 6batteries pack

don't you need two battery packs for two buggy motors either way? I just measured the AA lego battery pack and it was 190g, 60 more than mine

i don't know o.o i've never considered using those battery boxes after i bought the lipos :rofl:

Thats exactly the same here :laugh:

But you did a great job on your batteries :thumbup: how long exactly do they perform and what is the charge time?

Greets,

Tibivi

They last depending on what load it's taking. One buggy motor will drain it in a few hours or so, not sure how many, and more efficient motors can allow it to last even longer. Charging takes 20 minutes to an hour depending on what amount of current you give it, 20 minutes would be at 3c

On 6/10/2013 at 6:49 AM, z3_2drive said:

Ok, I'm not going in-depth, just a brief description for those who are interested. The two custom rechargeable battery packs I use consist of three batteries connected (soldered) in series, wrapped in electrical tape. The batteries used look like this:

$T2eC16F,!zEE9s3!(JH8BRZvjQ3GUw~~60_3.JPG

and my battery packs look like this:

dscn1638.jpg

To charge them you also need a 'power supply'-a device that regulates current and voltage to give power or in this case, charge the batteries. If you have a background in electronics, and if you are good at soldering and have access to all the components/wires/power supply box, then you can try to make your own. All details about the batteries themselves such as voltage, maximum current, charging voltage&current can all be found at this ebay link, where you can buy them for about 8-9 dollars each http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenergy-Tenergy-LiFePO4-18650-3-2V-1100mAh-Power-Cell-Max-25A-w-Tabs-SALE-/390575207953?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item5af018b611

to z3_2drive 

I have a couple of questions:

I'll buy a 9.6V LiFePO4 battery soon. Link below.

https://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo418650battery96v1350mah3x18650flat4arate1296whwithpcbandpolyswitch.aspx

According to the technical specs that provided on the web site, It has 4A max. discharging rate. Does it possible to use this battery as-is with my Lego PF motors and SBrick accordingly? Max. discharging rate for this battery is higher than the SBrick's max. levels, do you think if there is a risk to burn-out SBrick?

What's your custom battery's max. discharging rate?

Do you use those batteries with Sbrick? 

Thank you,

Mehmet

Edited by Mehmet T
Edit

I just realised this thread is from 2013. Everything has changed in the future

Nice packs z3.
We both know that lifepo4 is pretty safe and will in most cases not catch fire.
When im charging whatever chemistry 18650, I always use 0.3C charge rate. I want as long life as possible.
Do you balance charge the batteries or have you gotten a BMS?
Have you ever thought of going for Li-Ion? There is some 3500mah 18650's out there like Samsung 35E and with a 9V step down. You get a constant flow of ... you know the drill

@Mehmet T
Read this and you'll get some answers
https://social.sbrick.com/forums/topic/70/sbrick-specifications

Edited by Essge
added info about the future