Sign in to follow this  
draganb

[MOC] TIE Interceptor (UCS size)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The TIE Interceptor has always been my favorite ship in the SW universe.

One of the fastest fighters of it's time, it's deadliness went hand in hand with it's beautiful, menacing design, intended to provide the pilot with increased visibility and decrease overall targeting area for enemy fighters.

Lacking heavier armor, the TIE INT pilots had to rely on speed and maneuverability to outgun the rebels praised X-wings

Over the course of LEGO SW history, there have been two attempts two capture the iconic TIE Interceptor, both falling short.

The 2000 UCS version failed on wing design, both with dimension, proportions and silly part usage (grid panels??)

The 2006 midi size version was part the worst LEGO TIE lineup ever, with unexplainable blue color scheme and blocky, uninspired design.

I believe we will get a revamped version of the Interceptor soon, probably in line with the latest TIE FIghter, but until then, here is my version in minifig size:

9004865462_f1e05098e0_z.jpg

9003686819_ac3ba5b0c5_z.jpg

9003686865_a3f955345c_z.jpg

9004865482_f19ea4622f_z.jpg

9003686791_4222de767b_z.jpg

I am not 100% satisfied with the cockpit design, and will probably be making some alterations to it in the future.

Of course, all suggestions and comments on improving the design are welcome :)

Cheers!

Hi

i share your thoughts about the existing TIE Interceptors, one is blue, the other one bulky.

So i see really improvementin your beautyful MOC. It looks very slim and lean like the real thing. I also like that you do not use licensed parts like the canopy (except the printed tile). Your brick build (hose build ;) ) canopy fits to the lean design to the rest. Very well done. I would love to have one of those on display.

Dino

Edited by Darth Dino

Very nice. Great attention to detail on this model, and it is quite smooth too.

The only issue that caught my eye is the proportions of the vehicle. The wings seem too close together, and I think that's because they are too big to begin with. The easiest fix would probably be making the cockpit larger when you redesign it. Not that that's easy, but it sounds easier than redesigning those beautiful wings.

Well done!

Impressive work, even if the cockpit could use some more redesigning it's still a formidable and very recognizale model.

really nice work here, and as you said, the blue designed tie are...what they are.

keep us posted!

This is an incredibly good MOC, I really like the TIE Interceptor and this is a really god version of it. Is there an interior in the cockpit?

Very nice. Great attention to detail on this model, and it is quite smooth too.

The only issue that caught my eye is the proportions of the vehicle. The wings seem too close together, and I think that's because they are too big to begin with. The easiest fix would probably be making the cockpit larger when you redesign it. Not that that's easy, but it sounds easier than redesigning those beautiful wings.

Well done!

Yeah, the cockpit does come out a little to small in respect to the wings, and it's one of the things I'm going to work on when redesigning the model.

For the last few days I've been toying with the idea of using the bottom of the death star from the planet sets as the rear half of the cockpit, I'll have to get my hands on one and see how it goes

This is an incredibly good MOC, I really like the TIE Interceptor and this is a really god version of it. Is there an interior in the cockpit?

There is, and there's also a tie pilot in there, but it's impossible to see in the pictures :)

Very nice work so far. The model seems very clean. :thumbup:

About the cockpit, I think the problem is that you have the ring of curved slopes which presents a flat front face, and it's kind of hard to see the skinny droid arms making the domed shape of the canopy. Maybe some plates with clips and tiles attached to those could be added to the pneumatic tubing to fill in the edges of the canopy -- it looks like that area should be opaque; you've got the small ring in the middle, which is the 2x2 with the eight bars in your model, then the ring around that, which is the pneumatic tubing in your model, and then everything outside of tat is grey, not transparent. I think you tried to represent that by filling in the layer with the curved slopes up to that point, but as I said, that presents that flat face that's more noticeable than the domed shape formed by the droid arms. Keep those bricks there, because there will be gaps, but I think filling in that area around the outside of the pneumatic tubing would be a big improvement.

Good work so far, keep it up! :classic:

looks nice!

Have you got interior pics too? I can see some kind of chair and controls

About the cockpit, I think the problem is that you have the ring of curved slopes which presents a flat front face, and it's kind of hard to see the skinny droid arms making the domed shape of the canopy. Maybe some plates with clips and tiles attached to those could be added to the pneumatic tubing to fill in the edges of the canopy -- it looks like that area should be opaque; you've got the small ring in the middle, which is the 2x2 with the eight bars in your model, then the ring around that, which is the pneumatic tubing in your model, and then everything outside of tat is grey, not transparent. I think you tried to represent that by filling in the layer with the curved slopes up to that point, but as I said, that presents that flat face that's more noticeable than the domed shape formed by the droid arms. Keep those bricks there, because there will be gaps, but I think filling in that area around the outside of the pneumatic tubing would be a big improvement.

You're absolutely right, and that's the part of the model I'm least satisfied with. I'll have to think of something to fill up that space when I'm redesigning the cockpit

looks nice!

Have you got interior pics too? I can see some kind of chair and controls

Yea, there's a reclining chair and a control panel, but it's impossible to photograph while inside cockpit, I'll take a picture of it when it's disassembled :)

First of all: really nice model! It manages to capture the speedy design.

I agree however that the front is to flat. Tahat interrupts the flowing horizontal forms suggesting speed. But I've been working on a tie-fighter myself and I know how hard it is to get that area right.

I also experienced that it is hard to connect the wings properly so that they sit tight. I wonder how sturdy your model is, both in connection of the wings as the wings themselves. Are the plates of the wings alone sturdy enough?

Thanks in advance, and congratulations on your model!

Hello Everyone,

I've never done any MOC or MOD work before. That said, I own LEGO 7181 and am going to attempt to replace all the blue with old dark gray. I want to also attempt to utilize Draganb's building technique when it comes to the gray "border" around each wing section. If you look at Draganb's picture below, there is a 2x2 black plate followed by a 2x8 black plate, slightly above it appears a short section of gray border trim (referring to the border section that uses two 1x2 with horizontal clip (part 63868) with 1x2 tile and 1x4 tile to make the outer edge of the gray trim. It appears this section anchors to the wing section somehow, providing support for the rest of the trim heading in both directions. I'm not well versed enough to figure out how this portion of the trim connects to the wing. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!

Draganb - I PM'd you as well :)

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to help me out :)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

9004865482_f19ea4622f_z.jpg

Edited by Haderach