gallery_15845_212_1480.png

I've been trying to bring some sense of order and control to my daughter's Friends layout as it is slowly taking over the dining room table, leaving me with little space for my own buildings. So, I've started "modularising" the sets into buildings to allow the layout to expand upwards instead of outwards.

The latest is "Emma's place" which houses three sets featuring Emma - the beauty parlour, fashion design studio and karate class. This one was a collaborative effort with my daughter. Hence the random yellow tiles to finish off the first floor and total lack of floor tiles!

8993657558_a85c095b24_z.jpg

(MOD/MOC) Emma's Place

8992460973_0d5531ef28_z.jpg

(MOD/MOC) Emma's Place - Beauty Parlour

8992457551_6849f43342_z.jpg

(MOD/MOC) Emma's Place - Design Studio

8993647864_0a6fe55638_z.jpg

(MOD/MOC) Emma's Place - Karate Class

There are a few more angles on flickr.

Next up is Andrea's place, which will be finished once as I get my hands on the new bedroom set.

Edited by Pandora

This is such a great way to combine the official sets Kristel. :sweet: You essentially came up with a great idea for a "doll house" theme within Friends. Olivia's house and the this Summer's school already use this modular concept within the set, but it could also tie various sets (shops, bedrooms, etc.) together.

AWESOME work 'Kristel' - a combo of three different sets......and they all work together so well......I wonder if the block of flats from No. 96 could be done ? :laugh:

VERY nice! -Maybe too pnik and pastel to be real, but certainly fit for Heartlake Ville!

I like the way you've combatted suburban sprawl by going vertical!

BTW the MOC itself looks looks fantastic with great colour combo

I second eurotrash's thoughts....!

Suburban sprawl has become a major issue in Heartlake City, and you have posted a brilliant solution...just stack the buggers!

I love your choice of sets and colors, and think that they fit perfectly well in Heartlake. My Friends' sets are just waiting to go up rather than out as we need to reclaim our living room sometime this decade.

Thanks monsinjor, Rick, Hoexbroe and eurotrash!

AWESOME work 'Kristel' - a combo of three different sets......and they all work together so well......I wonder if the block of flats from No. 96 could be done ? :laugh:

Thanks, lightningtiger. I had to look up "No. 96" ... a little before my time.

I second eurotrash's thoughts....!

Suburban sprawl has become a major issue in Heartlake City, and you have posted a brilliant solution...just stack the buggers!

I love your choice of sets and colors, and think that they fit perfectly well in Heartlake. My Friends' sets are just waiting to go up rather than out as we need to reclaim our living room sometime this decade.

Thanks, Legogal. I know what you mean about needing to reclaim space!

This is a fantastic building, and making it look like a modular, and keeping the easy access for play is a great idea. Even with the Friendly colors, it looks beautiful, and should be great seeing it in a layout. The color combination is lovely (also with the yellow line), but my favorite detail is the lavender roof. Great job! :thumbup:

I've been trying to bring some sense of order and control to my daughter's Friends layout as it is slowly taking over the dining room table, leaving me with little space for my own buildings.

That's hilarious.

This one was a collaborative effort with my daughter.

That's awesome. I hope she becomes an architect or engineer!

Wait, why do I suddenly have a vested interest? :look:

Either way, this is cool and I'm so happy to see you encouraging the building, design and creativity aspect of the toy with your daughter. You're all kinds of awesome. :thumbup:

Absolutely love it. I didn't know that white and the Friends pink/purple looked that well together, especially the roof. Darn that I missed out on the beauty shop.

Taking three and making them into one.. I like it, I really like it!

Each floor has all the elements of the original sets, and with more elements involved.

The Beauty shop is the main floor, and the other two floors above are rented?

I do wonder how they get from floor to floor- then again, most LEGO building sets I have seen do not have stairs at all, so it makes sense not to include any here.

I don't mind the lack of floor tiles so much- it makes the building look more like the 'Friends' sets, and I like that a lot.

And I imagine it would look good next to Friends or LEGO City sets.. it looks very versatile.

I would buy this, really I would. Excellent work :)

Awesome MOC! I really like your job for 3rd floor.

It makes me wish to have a daughter.

Actually I made a similar MOC/MOD for my boys.

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=83150

Thanks HayHay. It is great when this hobby can be shared with the kids.

This is a fantastic building, and making it look like a modular, and keeping the easy access for play is a great idea. Even with the Friendly colors, it looks beautiful, and should be great seeing it in a layout. The color combination is lovely (also with the yellow line), but my favorite detail is the lavender roof. Great job! :thumbup:

Absolutely love it. I didn't know that white and the Friends pink/purple looked that well together, especially the roof. Darn that I missed out on the beauty shop.

Thanks Redhead and sgeureka. The lavender roof is my favourite detail too. Can't get enough of that lavender!

Either way, this is cool and I'm so happy to see you encouraging the building, design and creativity aspect of the toy with your daughter. You're all kinds of awesome. :thumbup:

Thanks Hinckley. Not so awesome, really. I've previously wanted to paint a line across the centre of the dining room table to delineate her space from mine. But I know that would send the wrong message.

So friendly! Can't wait to see more! Especialy for Mia!

Absolutely love it, hope you do one for each of the girls.

Thanks Lordofdragons and CptPJs.

So far we have:

Emma - as above

Olivia - her house, with a minor extension to house her workshop and Emma's splash pool sits on her deck.

Andrea - cafe, stage and bedroom (in progress)

Mia - currently living above the stables, but will move to her own place when I get the bakery set

Stephanie - sharing the loft above the stables (I'm thinking of putting her dance studio above the pet salon)

And a central park for the treehouse, soccer set, picnic bench and bbq from the camper van and the squirrel.

Taking three and making them into one.. I like it, I really like it!

Each floor has all the elements of the original sets, and with more elements involved.

The Beauty shop is the main floor, and the other two floors above are rented?

I do wonder how they get from floor to floor- then again, most LEGO building sets I have seen do not have stairs at all, so it makes sense not to include any here.

I don't mind the lack of floor tiles so much- it makes the building look more like the 'Friends' sets, and I like that a lot.

And I imagine it would look good next to Friends or LEGO City sets.. it looks very versatile.

I would buy this, really I would. Excellent work :)

Thanks Cirkit. The lack of stairs and floor tiles is quite different to how I would normally do a modular, but my daughter likes it this way - more room for furniture and lots of studs to place the girls any way she wants.

This is perfect. I hadn't even considered this before, but now you have my interest. I may have to do something similar for my daughter. She loves the Modulars, but it's difficult to take off the roof each time. She really loves the Haunted House that opens up with open backs. I may have to try my hand at this now that I am inspired.

I'm always impressed and pleased with your work and this is no exception. I like adding stairs and tiles to my modulars also, but sometimes that takes away the "play value" and adds to the aesthetic.

I'm similar in I want some space to sort/build while she does her own thing, but at the end of the day she sits near me and builds while I watch. It's still time well spent, even if I don't get anything done on my own.

Keep up the great work. TLG really knocked it out of the park with the Friends sets I think.

I really really like the concept of combining the sets a fig came in to one big apartment building for that fig. Only problem I have with it at the moment is that you have to do a building for the 4 other friends as well!

I'm similar in I want some space to sort/build while she does her own thing, but at the end of the day she sits near me and builds while I watch. It's still time well spent, even if I don't get anything done on my own.

Thanks, legoDr! It's all quality time.

I really really like the concept of combining the sets a fig came in to one big apartment building for that fig. Only problem I have with it at the moment is that you have to do a building for the 4 other friends as well!

No problem, the others are already done, in progress or planned. Anyway, I don't need much of an excuse to build a modular building, just a little inspiration!