This is the first version of a Human LEGO Segway. Currently you have to balance it yourself and there are 2 safety rotacaster wheels to stop you falling off. It uses 4 NXT's and 8 motors and is controlled by 2 Hitechnic accelerometers. It uses 2 LEGO Hailfire wheels. Edited by Burf2000

I think it's amazing that Lego has progressed enough to the point it's strong enough to withstand a full Adult's weight.

It's too bad that RC motors draw so much current; they are Lego's best motors in terms of power to weight ratio and would be perfect for this application.

What kind of techniques do you use to build the supports in large-scale creations like these?

I am using the hailfire droid wheels mate

Generally I use a lot of 5x7 frames and try and reinforce in every angle. This has 2 driving cogs (8 tooth) and 8 support axles per wheel.

Nice MOC! Did you have to "cannibalize" the parts off of your Lego Technic Wheelchair to build this?

So, at the moment I am quite lucky as I seem to have a lot of parts around. So the wheelchair is safe, so are the big robots, oh and the ride on LEGO Train I am working on also wont steal any parts.

I have also already built prototype 2 MEGA segway but thats not safe yet (12 NXT's 24 motors)

...seems your cat is used to all this big stuff.... she does not look too impressed at all and just continues grooming :-)

So your whole weight rests on 32 axles? About 2,5 - 3 kg per axle? At what points are those axle supported? I would like to know how many pins are in there to transfer the loads.

Gerald

I might open it up and take some pictures for you when I get a mo, them hailfire droid wheels are hard to mount

Watching the video of your segway, there seems to be a quite a long gap between movement of the joystick and any movement of the machine.Can this be improved any more?

T

Watching the video of your segway, there seems to be a quite a long gap between movement of the joystick and any movement of the machine.Can this be improved any more?

There isn't mate, its just slow lol. It moves as soon as I push a direction and press the button on the handle (requires both)