Sign in to follow this  
BrickBob Studpants

Double Feature Review Part II: 75025 Jedi Defender-class Cruiser

gallery_101_23_281.gif

8967175037_fa97d3d7fe_c.jpg

Now let’s get to the main event of this double feature, set 75025 Jedi Defender-class Cruiser. I’m not that familiar with TOR (as I’m everything but a PC gamer, I see myself as more of a Nintendo nerd), but I’ve seen the epic cinematic trailers for the game which feature pretty much all of the characters we’ve gotten in the TOR sets so far (except the Mirialan Jedi I think).

8967172857_b95550e344_c.jpg

Again, I really like the boxart and the action shots on the back. Luckily, the instruction booklets are enveloped in plastic along with the sticker sheet. :sweet:

8967170699_92bdabd313_c.jpg

8967164169_d680f613bd_c.jpg

In the first bag, we get half of the minifigs, in this case a nameless Sith Warrior and an equally unnamed Sith Trooper. The Sith Warrior turns out to be one of my favourite minifigs this year, the dark red hood and the head both look awesome and menacing at the same time. To me, this minifig is what Darth Malgus was to a lot of people last year. The Sith Trooper is the same as the battlepack version. Both have back printing, which has become a standard these days ;)

8967168847_4df8949019_c.jpg

8968356742_985d84317c_c.jpg

8968355340_e74b81737d_c.jpg

Bag 1 and 2 contain a lot of technic pieces which form the cruiser’s skeleton:

8968351306_ee5a9e5f0a_c.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of bag 3 and realized it only when I was halfway through with bag 4, so pictures of bag 3 are missing completely and this picture of bag 4 is somewhat incomplete:

8968348918_d5b5cfeb9a_c.jpg

This set includes a rare bracket piece (which I thought to be new at first, only to be proven wrong by bricklink):

8968346492_5771eb6043_c.jpg

According to bricklink, it has only appeared in two City sets before (4204 and 4434), so it’s probably new to a lot of people ;)

Let’s move on to bag #5, which gives us the remaining minifigs:

8967154547_0366eb1de0_c.jpg

8967150719_9d10535443_c.jpg

8968341774_e037ff07d7_c.jpg

A Jedi Consular (left), who’s a Mirialan just like Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee and a Jedi Knight (right) who might be based on Satele Shan’s master, Kao Cen Darach (though the latter is a Jedi master, so either TLG got it wrong or they’re not the same character, but I digress). Again, detailed printing on both minifigs and old parts in new colours, what’s not to like? It's time for a couple of comparison pics before we get to the next bag:

8968303688_ebe9e78f88_c.jpg

8968302104_e34b36e7a2_c.jpg

8968300240_5713822bc8_c.jpg

8968298486_171952cd45_b.jpg

8968338282_b82cde6e01_c.jpg

Those trans-blue flower-like technic pieces also appear in 75018 Jek 14's Stealth Starfighter, but I'm not sure whether they're new or not...

8741169688_f07a9d4dc5_c.jpg

Wow, that’s quite an impressive amount of extra parts for a set this size...

8968335912_893461377a_c.jpg

And here’s the Cruiser in all her beauty:

8967144167_3b20def614_c.jpg

8968331550_74ea8be7c8_c.jpg

8968329622_24ab23cb68_c.jpg

Note the lightsaber windows here, who honestly wouldn’t want windows made of lightsabers on their spaceship? :snicker:

8968327622_5c1990ceda_c.jpg

8967136435_26a6383cf0_c.jpg

8968323560_3c3be18e96_c.jpg

TLG seems to be fascinated by Holocrons, this is the third set this year these appear in (and the fourth in general). This time around, we get both Jedi and Sith Holocrons...

8968321580_fcdb3d312e_c.jpg

8967130703_a187a6819f_c.jpg

8968317610_f5421992b5_c.jpg

8967126609_1bfbc371f7_c.jpg

"Wanna swap?" :grin:

More pics of the ship:

8967124687_522e8e7949_c.jpg

8967122637_6b6cd23217_c.jpg

8967120645_f6a50aee96_c.jpg

8968307726_c574cd1afa_c.jpg

The whole set in all its glory:

8968305696_f309835432_c.jpg

Bonus picture, Little Red Sith Hood:

8967108015_e2b29b1909_c.jpg

„If you dare attacking one of us, you attack all of us!“ :laugh:

This is easily the best vehicle-based set this year because of the great colour scheme, cool shapes & angles and the overall design. The minifigures are excellent too, so you really shouldn’t miss this one. Even if you don’t know (or don’t like) TOR, the set certainly has a distinct Star Wars feeling to it (perhaps because it sort of looks like the result of someone throwing the Tantine IV and the Republic Cruiser from TPM into a blender :tongue: ).

Wow, you're fast! And this review, too is well shot! Great camera work! A big thanks! :thumbup:

Although i'm not into TOR (but a bit into KOTOR I, actually :grin: ), this set indeed has some appealing pros about it. I like quite a lot:

- the idea that both Sith and Jedi are included (one can choose)

- the minifigs are unnamed which means that one could use them for any era and place

- at least two minifigs are aliens and the Lego SW universe has lack of them still

but more important to me is the ship, which i like for:

- the overall size of the ship and the piece count (9500 at the same price was much smaller AND had a much lower piece count)

- the color scheme has multiple uses (red - consular republican and it's a dark red the Sith use to fashion a lot). Unlike the Republic Frigate (CW) it isn't ridiculously spiked over and over with weapons no one is there to ever use

- the ship design is 'fresh' to the SW universe and - just like the minifigs - might be found anytime, anywhere and in anyone's use

- there are several interior spots to place minifigs in or pose scenes with. i especially like the escape pods which also could be quarters to the crew

- the ship has a handle to carry it around on top

What i do not like so much at my very first glance:

- there are stickers (in general)

- the bridge is open on the back. Not only 'untight' but also things might fall out when being swooshed or carried around

A few questions at last:

- do you still have the sticker sheet? How many have to be littered across the hull/interior?

- could you be so kind and show some more of the bridge (interior)? How do minifigs fit into it?

- what are the measurements of the ship (length and width)?

Thank you!

Edited by Ki-Adi-Mundi

@Ki-Adi-Mundi: Thanks a lot! :grin: The ship measures 33 x 25 cm :wink: The set includes 15 stickers in various sizes; 6 are used for the middle section that consists of those dark red curved top bricks (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6091), 2 large ones are applied to the outside of the escape pods, 2 portray control panels inside the pods, 2 are used on top of the bridge section, another 2 are supposed to be control panels inside the bridge and the last one is applied to the front of the ship (between the lightsaber windows) :sweet: I'll take a few pics of the bridge later :wink:

I was quite hesitant and almost decided about not getting it...

But after seeing that Sith! The ship in itself is a good build too from the looks of it, so I may well be tempted after all!

Thanks for giving us this small review :thumbup: :thumbup: I thinks I wil buy this set for sure :classic:

@Ki-Adi-Mundi: Thanks a lot! :grin: The ship measures 33 x 25 cm :wink: The set includes 15 stickers in various sizes; 6 are used for the middle section that consists of those dark red curved top bricks (http://www.bricklink...Item.asp?P=6091), 2 large ones are applied to the outside of the escape pods, 2 portray control panels inside the pods, 2 are used on top of the bridge section, another 2 are supposed to be control panels inside the bridge and the last one is applied to the front of the ship (between the lightsaber windows) :sweet: I'll take a few pics of the bridge later :wink:

Ah, i see. Thanks for the info. So the ship actually is smaller than i assumed basing on the piece count. Thus it measures the same length as the 7965 main hull (saucer).

Still, it appears bigger than the less bulky 9500 and definitely has less 'hollow' areas but more interior and play features. Reconsidering the sticker placement, they do not define the ships' looks. One might even leave them out (except for control panels if no other printed pieces are at hand).

In my last post i forgot to mention your nice displays of the minifigure comparisons. A good idea to show all TOR minifigs we have yet. Aslo, it's interesting to see the different LEGO depictions of zabrak characters. Personally, i like Agen Kolar the most (headpiece and hair) but we humans are just so different either, aren't we?!

I also like your funnies and the way you arranged the Sith with his two lightsabers. That rocks. :classic:

Looking forward to more pictures of this set and also more reviews of you!

No Flick Fires!!! I am amazed. Great review, one of the few sets I will be getting this wave.

The cannons are flickfires in disguise =P. What does the technic bit do (the beams), Is that to lift the ship safely or something?

Even though I'm completely clueless to TOR and have not bought any sets yet, this one is really tempting me. Especially with that Sith warrior, awesome!

Great review. Good pictures and nice explanation of the set and it's figs/pieces. Well done.

Thanks for your comments! :thumbup:

@IronFish: I got it on s@h :wink: Currently it's only available in Switzerland, Germany and Austria though :sceptic:

@khatmorg: You're right, those are indeed flick-fire missiles. I guess this gives the term "fire the cannons" a whole new meaning :grin: And yes, those technic pieces form a handle for safe carrying :classic:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Thank you for a very eye-opening review. I say this because as a general rule, I collect only film based sets, mostly to save space and money. I follow the EU somewhat, but am by no means an expert. I am also not a big gamer, even though I have a PS3. But I must say, these sets from TOR are very appealing. The Jedi Defender just looks spectacular, and seems like a good build. It really has a strong Star Wars vibe to it. I could easily see this in a film. Since I'm not familiar with the game, I have no idea how accurate it is to the source material. I assume LEGO scaled it down a bit, which is usually the case. I'll have to watch the trailer and see. I'm a sucker for large Star Wars ships with big engines (ISD/Blockade Runners) so I may have to check this one out. If I get one I'm going to want a Sith Fury, too, right?

@IronFish: It was 129 CHF, which is about 100 €, 90 $ or 90 £ (of course not in real life, but in the LEGO reference system :wink: )

@IronFish: It was 129 CHF, which is about 100 €, 90 $ or 90 £ (of course not in real life, but in the LEGO reference system :wink: )

perfect! Should have enough to get it when it comes out in the US

Wow, great review! This has been one of my mopst anticipated ships since they announced they were doing SWTOR ships. I have every SWTOR set so far, so looking forward to adding this bad boy to my collection. Even the Jedi Knight's armour matches my in game Jedi!

Is there any chance that you could post some side by side comparison shots with the other SWTOR ships, particularly the fury?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Kurtt

Great review, and thanks for the look at the ship. This one is high on my list.

And to help clear up some Jedi confusion. For purposes of the SWTOR game Jedi Knight is not a rank. It is a role or character class. Jedi Consulars are Jedi scholars dedicated to soft arts. Healing, research and knowledge. Jedi Knights are the more combat focused members of the order. Offensive and defensive warriors. Either group may be Masters.

Slightly off-topic, but if anyone wants to say hi to me in game, I'm on the EU Red Eclipse server, character name Kurtt.

Cheers,

Kurtt

Thank you for your effort, Lego Freak! This insight is very welcome - and your collection of SW TOR sets does let this subtheme become attractive. I'll go for the Defender for sure and will keep my eyes open for a sale on the Fury. The BP is on the shopping list anyway, while i hope to get Satele separately or in a different set. The Republic fighter design is too much of an insult ot my eyes... :grin:

Thanks fo this review. This is a fantastic set. A well designed ship, with the aesthetically pleasing colors, curves, and angles.

The minifigs are also as amazing as I'd hoped for, and so detailed. I shall be getting two of these lovely sets.