In Southern Mitgardia the forests are lush and the soil is soft. So over the years roads have eaten into the ground creating some hollow lanes, hidden from the eyes of most everyone. They provide a perfect way to travel unseen, but a dumb place to be caught traveling!

8960259165_4b9c35f723_c.jpg

"Hey, there father Dwarf, where might you be traveling and what do I see in the back of your cart" asked the leader of the free roaming Varlyrian mercinaries as the dwarven ale traders stumble into an uncomfortalbe situation.

8960255595_d2a18d86dd_c.jpg

"Well suh, dunno what you mean!"

"Gee, I mean those lovely kegs there! Dwarven ale I assume correctly? I'm sure that I have a much better use of them then those fancy ladies and gentlemen in Mpya Stedor. So why wouldn't you be so kind as to hand them over to me and my friends!"

8960253915_91b4cb6703_c.jpg

The dwarfes were stunned. Normally humans didn't travel these old roads, and they had been sure not to be molested here on a road that was usually not known to many outsiders. The things weren't right in Mitgardia anymore after this Victor Revolword had started the whole thing. The dwarves looked at each other and were ready to hand over their kegs. They were trapped!

8960252175_f986da4c1c_c.jpg

Luckily Steen Larsson, on his way to Mpya Stedor, showed up behind them and taught those Varlyrians a bitter lesson:

NEVER MESS WITH MITGARDIA!!

8960239741_533b9a5c46_c.jpg

Edited by kabel

Awesome MOC together with an awesome story!!! Great job to make it look so ancient!!

Mpya Stedor will welcome those dwarves and Steen with open arms!

Great MOC to tie in with DM's Mypa Stedor build! Excellent trees and I like the 'dirtwork' :thumbup: The mercenary hiding in the trunk is great :laugh:

Nice build! Those Valaryians should stay down on they're little island! :laugh:

Finally, Steen is happy for once :laugh:

Anyways, nice build, I especially like the cart and the dirt walls of the path :thumbup::wink:

Thanks guys, glad you like it. With this moc I tried to deliberately run out of vegetation pieces, but I failed :wink: I still got a handfull left over ...

@DM: well you know, soemtimes when you start researching on wikipedia, you just go from article to article and somehow I stumbled across the article on hollow lanes. That's when my hand automatically started to put bricks together. Somehow my way of doing mocs!

@sk; the build was almost done when yesterday DM requested for Mitgardian ale. So I changed the story and here we go ...

@kai: they better should have!

@garmadon: you're right, Steen doesn't smile often, I think I have to change that!

@Mikkel: the mercinaries are there because Eric Grimmson brought them to Mitgardia, see my ch VI entry!

@DM: well you know, soemtimes when you start researching on wikipedia, you just go from article to article and somehow I stumbled across the article on hollow lanes. That's when my hand automatically started to put bricks together. Somehow my way of doing mocs!

Interesting article, which cost me an hour getting stuck surfing around Wikipedia. Great source for MOC inspiration definitely, not least all articles on architecture ;)

Nice build, I really like the successful atmosphere of an ancient road deep in the forest. Keep it up!

Ha, ha! You show 'em! :laugh:

I love the trees! Great work on the hill! Nice work! :sweet::thumbup:

@Nightstalker: I thought of it the minute I held the piece in my hand, never used as such though. I'm glad it works out!

@Gideon: that's what I hate about Wikipedia, you just keep on reading and reading ... whereas you should be doing something else. professional procrastination I call it :laugh:

@Infernum: Thanks man! You wouln't believe it, but a few years ago during a trip through Mexico I saw a man roaming the streets of St.Cristobal de las Casas wearing a t-shirt saying "Don't mess with Texas" Hence the slogan :laugh:

Edited by kabel

@Mikkel: the mercinaries are there because Eric Grimmson brought them to Mitgardia, see my ch VI entry!

I read that but it seems strange that they would not still be under Eric's command or have returned to Varlyrio. Have I missed something because Varlyrions have been turning evil of late. First in Z's Challenge VI entry and now here... :look:

... As soon as the Varlyrian sell swords heard of this they vanished with all the weapons they had been given ...

Actually I had thought of this even before Z came up with his idea. But after all it's what mercinaries do once they take off on their own. It's just that I didn't have the time to put this into my ch IV entry and thus had to leave the story rather unfinished. As for Varlyrians turing bad, first and most of all they are traders and interested in making money. So when the Varlyrians heard that the war was over, they had to come up with something else to actually earn some riches they could take home ... I don't know how familiar you are with Germany's "Thirty Years War" (1618-1648) because in the later years of that conflict (protestants vs. catholics) it was all about mercinaries taking what they could get no matter to whom the had pledged alligience in the first place ... So protestant Swedes fought protestant Prussians and catholic Croatians fought catholic Bavarians and so on ...

So, your foliage was so good, I did not realize this was a sunken road until you all were writing about wikipedia. I think we mostly call them sunken roads here, but I like the term Hollow Lane better. I was trying to figure out why you called it a hollow lane... haha. G

Great job here!

Holliow lane is a mere direct translation I realize. Wikipedia speaks about sunken lanes I have to admit. They also talk about hollow ways, but in some cases its also called hollow lane, I just checked. so my mistake, thanks for pointing that out :blush:

I think it was just a difference across the pond, Hollow lanes is apparently what they are called in England, so all is good. I was just confused! Still, very cool MOC!

Thanks ska. Yeah those differences between AE and BE, sort of my daily business. Anyway, I really like the concept of sunken lanes in medieval Europe and the more I read about the more fascinating it becomes. Guess I'll have to go out and hike some of the old ones!

What are the names of the dwarves (I think I'll be able to create 3 of them)

Your landscaping skills are so great nowdays! I reallt like this one! A narrow pass with a lot of lush vegetation on the sides! Perfect!

Your landscaping skills are so great nowdays!

Thanks a lot DG. Landscaping is actually what I enjoy the most at the moment. (besides ship building :wink: )