Missing Brick

Back wall for Orthanc

UPDATE: Please see pics of completed tower at the bottom of this page. I made quite a few changes from my pre-release prototype...

-----------------------

Here's my attempt at a back wall for Orthanc - based on a close examination of photos and videos of the official set. Some mods will be needed to make it attach securely:

*** Please see updated pics below ***

Edited by Missing Brick

This is great! I love how you added interior details like stairs that we usually just assume the existence of when LEGO leaves the back wall off of their buildings. Will it hinge open on the model? And do you have an LDD file of it? I'm sure others would love to add it to their own Orthancs when the set finally comes out.

Great work, have to say wow. I didn't think you would add all that to the inside it really works well. But I was starting to like the open one and now I have seen this I want it closed again.

Wow this is great! I'd love to see some more pictures when you can finally put it together with the official model :)

Agreed! You will have to update this thread with the back on the official model when you get it. I would love to see how Lego Orthanc looks as a complete structure. I also really like all the details you added inside like the stairs.

This is amazing! I want to do this too when the set comes out! How much did the back wall cost you?

This is fantastic. I wish you had a LDD to share as I believe everyone who is getting Orthanc would want this.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys:)

Wow! I really like the idea of the balcony, one question is: Will anything get in the way when the two halls go together?

Yes, the official set cheats by extending some floors a few studs beyond where the back wall would be in reality. They did it to create more play space. So I will need to trim back a few studs to make the back wall fit. Eg. the secret 'trophy room' at the top will probably have to disappear completely because in reality that 'room' is only 2 studs wide!

> How much did it cost you

I spent about £35 bricklinking extra parts for the wall + using my existing of black bricks - so probably about £50 if you had to order all parts from scratch. I got a good deal on the 10x1 curved slopes (x28). Only 2p each!!

Edited by Missing Brick

Missing Brick, this is absolutely superb. Do you plan to hinge it or make it attachable with studs/pins? Do you have a list of the pieces you used? Once you get Orthanc, is there any chance you could post the adapted version/the changes you needed to trim from the Orthanc set, so others can replicate this excellent design?

I plan to fix it at 3 points:

1) At the bottom using technic pins

2) Where the snot skirt overlaps the two sections around the base (using a 1x1 with studs on 4 sides)

3) At the top where the roof fits on and straddles all 4 walls.

The rest will just interlock using tiles where appropriate. I'll post an update when I get the full set.

The only part of the design that was tricky to figure out was the snot base section because the fixings aren't shown in any photo...

Edited by Missing Brick

This is really great work, I'm very impressed how you've done this from just pics and videos, kudos to you.

Updating with pics of the complete tower:

9117781843_8ac82f620e_c.jpg

9117780709_6cf22d6351_c.jpg

9117786751_1d609bbfda_c.jpg

Here's how it comes apart:

9117789499_90748a59d0_c.jpg

Once the two halves are locked together the join is pretty seamless:

9120012634_6cc020b2e8_c.jpg

Edited by Missing Brick

This is a fantastic piece of work, well done. We've just building ours, and my kids love the open back, but your mod looks so great I wonder if I'll be able to resist trying to follow your example.

Stunning work! I've just completed my tower and was a little disappointed it was missing the back wall, lego could have easily hinged the building like the haunted house.

Like others, would like to see a LDD.. please!