Hi all,

I am preparing a project to save a little bit of money and introduce myself in the MOCing world.

I would like to create a 8258 out of other sets I have or that I can buy for a good (cheap) price today.

It is my very first project like this. I am looking for your experience and your advice :blush:

I did a small research on rebrickable, to see which today's sets could be a good start to build a 8258. It happens that The Unimog 8110 coupled with the 9397 could be a really good start, with 90% of the pieces. Sounds good, the 8110 is cheap on Amazon and I don't really like the 9397.

You can see here which pieces I would have and still miss with this solution : http://rebrickable.com/build_set?s=8258-1&s1=8110-1&s2=9397-1&c=3

For the pieces I would still miss (like the XL engine), I was thinking about modifying the build to try to do it with what I have, following my instinct. Or I could buy them on brickling maybe.

For the colors, I don't care right now. If it really looks ugly, I will modify it afterwards.

I am really looking for your advice and your help, it's a first for me.

Thank you

You set colour to "ignore", so you will get "rainbow" coloured set. Main problems are large red panels, which only come in this set and are pretty expensive. Unimog has a lot of them, but in LBG and one in orange.

I set to build 8421 that way and used parts from 8258, 8297,8295 and several other small sets for it and I was still short of a lot of parts. So I put it on hold for now and I'm scouting for cheap parts.

I think it is better to find a 8258 second hand at a good price and buy it, otherwise you will struggle with color mismatch.

Make it with different colour panels? Anything is possible of course but cost could be a problem. I've just completed a second 8053 (in yellow) and almost a third (in Red) using 3x 42006 plus bricklink and Lego for the other bits. Lots of the 42006 left over, but total spend was in the region of £250. 8258 could be done using Yellow, Black or White panels instead - both seem to be readily available.

The color is not an issue for me at this time. Plus I am sure I would really love this truck in black, grey or even yellow.

The reason why I want to do it from sets like this and not buy it is because I don't know if I will keep it / I love the 8110 and would happily own 2 or 3 for parts (so cheap now) / I can build other sets easily !

its a great set thats good value for money even via auction sites, I had a great time building one,

Not sure the 8110 will be that useful for parts; the Logging Truck I think has a significant number of the bits. Panel wise, the F1 Car (42000) might be a good help as it has a few black flat panels plus a lot of white curved panels (added to the bunch on the Logging Truck) would probably take you a long way.

The unimog is good for parts, im making a 9398 out of it. (no body though)

Sorry - I was thinking in the context of what the OP was wanting to build. The Unimog is fantastic for parts but is quite expensive.

The most expensive bit I found was the red flat panels, had to order 4 from germany on bricklink as no-one else had them, apart from that I had most parts from the last 2 years worth of bigger sets (i.e. 8043, 8070, 9398, 9397 etc), I also had to get an XL motor from lego direct

Edited by stan_the_man

I have to be honest and say that the crane truck is a poor set in terms of it's playability, the crane is useless when it come to lifting .

If you have the unimog and the logging truck why do you not try and make your own crane truck?

Do like I did, and build it in another colour! :wink:

2012-12-16_20.27.01.jpg

2012-12-16_20.28.34.jpg

It would probably look good in most colours that are not as rare (not that red is rare, but the 5x11 panels are)