Personally I keep nearly all mine assembled (I started taking some of the less impressive ones apart for parts though)... The ones I like to point out are the 8258 Crane Truck - and the 9396 Helicopter - I do have quite a few of the recent technic sets (past 3 years) and also some of the classics - but for what I have those two sets represent a strong mix of great visual appeal and also function.

As per your question about looks vs function - I tend to find those that look good visually interesting/good also have great function, not always though.

Lol, I had a nice example of that when displaying 8265's main model, which is a very nice model so it survived the week, but I noticed that afterwards the tyres had a noticeable bump in them because the model's weight had rested on the same spot for a week :P

Damn! I had this exact same thing - that was my first major technic set after emerging from dark ages - and yeah I noticed it had a bounce when I would roll it - figured out the weight was too much for the wheels :thumbdown: . In my case it does have the battery box in it - suffice to say I've removed the wheels - but I think they're permanently deformed slightly (it's not hot here either).

I don't keep sets for display because there's no much space and not enough money. I only buy sets when I need specific parts so sets survive fully assembled for a few hours or maybe a day. Lately I don't even build the B models, which I did before.

I think I will always keep the two ones that made me come back to Lego. The 8110 Unimog and the 8081 ExtremeCruiser.

I think they look amazing (especially the Unimog) and anyone seeing it is like "wow".

And it reminds me some good good memories :)

Edited by leoparder

I don't keep sets built. My joy comes from building mocs, so I'll buy a set and keep it built for a few weeks, then it comes apart and the pieces get tossed in my bin.

However, I do want to start building some modular buildings. If I get around to building a few, I'll probably keep them built for use in group displays.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Forgot: got 6 unused micro motors and some wiring to go with them for around 50 euro:-)

oh, wrong topic... :look:

Edited by D3K

I keep all ~65 of my sets displayed. I have around 90 sets in total, but don't display some, they just are built and stored.

Like a few others, I do not display sets. When I'm not MOCing, my entire collection exists of loose parts :)

To me, a set is a parts pack with one or two inspiring example builds :)

Pretty much summarizes up my situation as well... :thumbup:

Moving in a couple of days though, bigger apartment might provide some room to keep at least a MOC or two assembled! :classic:

I keep the flagships sets on display. Other less expensive sets some times end up as parts for MOCs.

I have a mix, most of the flagship son on display and soon i will have a Lego area in a new room, not a whole room but a fair amount of space, my intention is to rack it out and have a much on display as I can

No sets anymore. Only this will I display, a tissue box holder:premium_tissue_box_holder.png

Edited by Porty

The other night i was looking at my 8265 and i saw that the rubber tires are somehow "flat" because of the weight of the model (i see that some of you have the same problem). The big concern is with 9397 truck, because it has a lot of weight on the middle of the chassis, the studless beams are bent. So the question is: does displaying your models damages the over time ?

The other night i was looking at my 8265 and i saw that the rubber tires are somehow "flat" because of the weight of the model (i see that some of you have the same problem). The big concern is with 9397 truck, because it has a lot of weight on the middle of the chassis, the studless beams are bent. So the question is: does displaying your models damages the over time ?

I think I was reading on here somewhere that some people have seen problems with leaving these heavy sets on display in the same spot for long periods of time.

I think I was reading on here somewhere that some people have seen problems with leaving these heavy sets on display in the same spot for long periods of time.

I have heard that, but I've had all the sets on display for many years and have never yet experienced a problem. I would guess that temperature and humidity play a role. I suppose the best solution is to get them out and play with them at least once a month!

I suppose the best solution is to get them out and play with them at least once a month!

I try and play with mine as often as I can, even if it is just to move them on the shelves :)

I was thinking why not to create some sort of support with trans-clear bricks?

I keep 8258 Crane Truck built and on a shelf. It took me a couple of goes to get the gearbox right and I can't face taking it apart. Besides, it looks great on the shelf.

Other sets and MOCs are generally kept built for a few months at a time. I keep the dust down by keeping the door to my LEGO room closed when I'm not in there. I only need dust the long-term assembled once or twice a year and I use a microfibre car dashboard duster (looks a bit like a small feather duster) plus an air duster to do the job.

Cheers

Rog