I managed to get the 42100 for NOK 2499 (€ 250). I Norway Lego wants NOK 4799,- (€ 480) for it, while the cheapest online shop has it at NOK 3394 (€ 390).

The description said damaged box, so I was afraid of a large hole and missing bags... When I got it, one corner of the box was compressed about 10 mm, and no other damages. :D

Is this as great of a deal as I think?

-ED-

2 hours ago, Nazgarot said:

I managed to get the 42100 for NOK 2499 (€ 250). I Norway Lego wants NOK 4799,- (€ 480) for it, while the cheapest online shop has it at NOK 3394 (€ 390).

The description said damaged box, so I was afraid of a large hole and missing bags... When I got it, one corner of the box was compressed about 10 mm, and no other damages. :D

Is this as great of a deal as I think?

-ED-

Indeed, excellent deal!

On 2/1/2020 at 2:57 AM, astyanax said:

Indeed, Bricks & Pieces is the best way to get larger numbers of novel pieces. I never understood why BrickLink stores sell novel pieces at very high prices. They're not scarce or hard to get. Unless you live in a country not served by Bricks & Pieces.

Speaking of all things of countries not served by certain sites.  Also, while I am at it... all things in terms of great deals on Lego sites out there.  Few things:

- Seems like us dolts in the continental US are limited in terms of sites that offer great deals on Lego Sets.  I see others, particularly in Europe, getting great deals on a variety of sites that are not serviceable to the US.  This really stinks.  Many deals offered to others are not offered to us. 

- Speaking of getting ripped off..... I have heard of others often speak of Aliexpress here on this site.  Is this a reputable marketplace?  I recently bought some chromes Bugatti (Lego) rims and they have not shipped yet, and it has been just about a month.  This does not seem right.  I also bought some chromed Porsche rims from another store on the same site and it appears they have shipped (according to the site).  THoughts?  Is Aliexpress reputable?  Should I be concerned that a purchase a month old has not shipped yet?  Yes, it is coming from China so I want to give some latitude, but this seems excessive....

3 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Speaking of getting ripped off..... I have heard of others often speak of Aliexpress here on this site.  Is this a reputable marketplace?  I recently bought some chromes Bugatti (Lego) rims and they have not shipped yet, and it has been just about a month.  This does not seem right.  I also bought some chromed Porsche rims from another store on the same site and it appears they have shipped (according to the site).  THoughts?  Is Aliexpress reputable?  Should I be concerned that a purchase a month old has not shipped yet?  Yes, it is coming from China so I want to give some latitude, but this seems excessive....

Definitely do contact the store and ask what's up. If they don't respond, ask again and say you'll open a dispute with AliExpress. AliExpress is the platform that connects stores to costumers, but they do offer some guarantees, which can be exercised through the dispute mechanism, which the stores seem to be wary of, at last in my experience. YMMV of course. 

What is definitely NOT reputable is the quality and lifetime of products bought through AliExpress. Definitely don't give toys bought from AliExpress to your children, as they may contain toxic materials or unsafe construction (swallowing danger). The higher prices for local western products are partly due to all the safety regulations and enforcement thereof that we have.

Reputable as in safe for your wallet? Sure. But not safe for your health, and not safe for the planet either (free shipping from across the world is a terrible thing; leads to lots of small packages with packaging material being sent around... so much pollution).

4 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Speaking of getting ripped off..... I have heard of others often speak of Aliexpress here on this site.  Is this a reputable marketplace?  I recently bought some chromes Bugatti (Lego) rims and they have not shipped yet, and it has been just about a month.  This does not seem right.  I also bought some chromed Porsche rims from another store on the same site and it appears they have shipped (according to the site).  THoughts?  Is Aliexpress reputable?  Should I be concerned that a purchase a month old has not shipped yet?  Yes, it is coming from China so I want to give some latitude, but this seems excessive....

Keep in mind they've just had chinese new year (which is a much bigger deal then new year for us westerners, it is a two week holiday basically), and the whole corronavirus thing is throwing a massive spanner into the chinese works. There are currently entire cities on lockdown, so it is quite possible that either the factory producing those bugatti rims is shut down, or the mail service in the area has been halted.

3 hours ago, astyanax said:

Definitely do contact the store and ask what's up. If they don't respond, ask again and say you'll open a dispute with AliExpress. AliExpress is the platform that connects stores to costumers, but they do offer some guarantees, which can be exercised through the dispute mechanism, which the stores seem to be wary of, at last in my experience. YMMV of course. 

What is definitely NOT reputable is the quality and lifetime of products bought through AliExpress. Definitely don't give toys bought from AliExpress to your children, as they may contain toxic materials or unsafe construction (swallowing danger). The higher prices for local western products are partly due to all the safety regulations and enforcement thereof that we have.

Reputable as in safe for your wallet? Sure. But not safe for your health, and not safe for the planet either (free shipping from across the world is a terrible thing; leads to lots of small packages with packaging material being sent around... so much pollution).

2 hours ago, vectormatic said:

Keep in mind they've just had chinese new year (which is a much bigger deal then new year for us westerners, it is a two week holiday basically), and the whole corronavirus thing is throwing a massive spanner into the chinese works. There are currently entire cities on lockdown, so it is quite possible that either the factory producing those bugatti rims is shut down, or the mail service in the area has been halted.

TY both.  Very good information and some things that I had not yet even considered. 

On 2/1/2020 at 11:57 AM, astyanax said:

Unless you live in a country not served by Bricks & Pieces.

My case :(

55 minutes ago, Aleh said:

*laughs in western Europe*

:tongue:

57 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Coincidentally, I just noticed that Sariel posted a video making exactly the same case, namely that for new molds and colors, Bricks & Pieces is the place to go. He also solves my puzzlement regarding sky high BrickLink prices for those same pieces, namely that TLG won't sell you large quantities thereof, if they suspect you're just gonna be reselling them.

On 2/14/2020 at 3:11 AM, vectormatic said:

Good call.  I just got a response to my message I sent to the store.  Indeed, they cannot go out to even make the shipment (according to them) because their city is indeed on lockdown.  I have no reason to not believe them.  I sent them a message back thanking them for their response and that I will continue to wait. 

Used 8436 for $80 (?) at BrickFair Virginia last year. It was like new, and considering new ones currently start at $160 on BL I got a pretty good deal imo.

Edited by JLiu15

i got 10KG of legos for $100 from Japan last week which includes a huge selection of pieces, a like-new 9398 and a Unimog.

On 2/14/2020 at 11:07 AM, nerdsforprez said:

Speaking of all things of countries not served by certain sites.  Also, while I am at it... all things in terms of great deals on Lego sites out there.  Few things:

- Seems like us dolts in the continental US are limited in terms of sites that offer great deals on Lego Sets.  I see others, particularly in Europe, getting great deals on a variety of sites that are not serviceable to the US.  This really stinks.  Many deals offered to others are not offered to us. 

- Speaking of getting ripped off..... I have heard of others often speak of Aliexpress here on this site.  Is this a reputable marketplace?  I recently bought some chromes Bugatti (Lego) rims and they have not shipped yet, and it has been just about a month.  This does not seem right.  I also bought some chromed Porsche rims from another store on the same site and it appears they have shipped (according to the site).  THoughts?  Is Aliexpress reputable?  Should I be concerned that a purchase a month old has not shipped yet?  Yes, it is coming from China so I want to give some latitude, but this seems excessive....

I can say i trust Aliexpress though shipping might take a lot of time, i recently ordered 5 batteries off Aliexpress, they said it'll arrive in 50 days max but they just arrived yesterday which is about 70-ish days.

36 minutes ago, JoshsTechnicWorkshop said:

i got 10KG of legos for $100 from Japan last week which includes a huge selection of pieces, a like-new 9398 and a Unimog

Hah, I think I just saw that sold listing earlier, congrats!

Iv had a few wins lately. 

42078 Mack anthem for $150.00 nzd

42082 Bugatti for $400.00 nzd

42097 compact crawler crane for $99 nzd

I got a 42069 in a damaged box for $115 CAD--the original CAD price was $240, by the way.

Just bought a 8275, 9398 and 42030 for just 285€ all together. Good condition, complete and just a bit of dust.

Today I got me a (nearly) complete 8421 with box and both instruction booklets for €100, from a colleague of my wife. It is missing a few standard parts (some connectors, an axle, that kind of stuff) and 1 pneumatic hose, but the buggy motor is still working flawlessly (I tested it) and both pneumatic cylinders are still completely airtight and moving smooth (also tested). So I think I made a good deal.

Borderline not Technic (I think they count), but got 4094, 4095, and 3806 for $21 shipped! Parts are dirty, but everything is there including the rare parts!

Does any body know any american BrickLink sellers with good prices? I am also extremely jealous of the ridiculous deals people are getting. Are people getting these online or just finding them at garage sales and such?

33 minutes ago, hawkwind said:

Are people getting these online or just finding them at garage sales and such?

Lucky find on Mercari website. As for BrickLink stores, Missing Brick isn’t too bad.

Edited by TechnicRCRacer