p1030344.jpg

I put together a super-fast mini rc chassis. It has buggy motor geared up 20:16 for drive, and servo for steering. Lipo and v2 receiver provide power.

It goes a measured 17.5 KPH (11 mph). So I was wondering if anyone built anything faster. Video:

Edited by 1nxtmonster

Awesome! Would be great if you could make some pics of the underside and the front steering :wink::moar:

Sure thing! Photos:

p1030345.jpg

p1030346.jpg

Edited by 1nxtmonster

I wonder if it matches Sariel's new creation...

It looks about the same in speed, probably because though his has more motors it is way heavier... id love to see what the measured top speed of that beast is though!

Hmmph, only 15.3 kph!

Looks like I win then :grin:

I think his is still WAYYY cooler than mine though.

Edited by 1nxtmonster

This got blazing speed!

When I get my buggy motors I'll challenge this >:D

Edited by SNIPE

Urggh, WHY did I spend all my money on lego and NOT get RC motors?? haha

Great car! Very fast! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

quick question, with an axle and axle connector coming directly out of the motor, can you with your fingers stop it spinning?

Now add a body to it and see how fast it goes!

Very good point. WIth a body, it will be heavier, and thus slower.

Very good point. WIth a body, it will be heavier, and thus slower.

ALso if you look at Sariel's drifting video, you see that the tire touches the "body", might not be much, but every loss of momentum is a loss ;-)

Your speed is nearly at the calculated limit of 18 kph with your setup

Could you gear it up 1:2 with a 24t and a 12t gear, or would that be too much even for the rc motor?

Could you gear it up 1:2 with a 24t and a 12t gear, or would that be too much even for the rc motor?

I might try, but I like the acceleration this thing has how it is; adding that gearing might give it more top speed, but it would be hard to achieve this speed without long runway.

Urggh, WHY did I spend all my money on lego and NOT get RC motors?? haha

Great car! Very fast! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

quick question, with an axle and axle connector coming directly out of the motor, can you with your fingers stop it spinning?

This thread made me ask the same question, then I went on bricklink and realized that RC motors are ~$50USD/ea in the USA :(

This thread made me ask the same question, then I went on bricklink and realized that RC motors are ~$50USD/ea in the USA :(

Keep a close eye on them. Sometimes people sell them for as little as $30USD!

Yes I'm lucky to have 2 buggy motors at the moment, saw some going for 30-40 USD on bricklink some time ago but they disappeared a week after seeing them :wink: apparently people are on the prowl for them. Back on topic, today I made a rebuild from my memory-one of my favorite RC MOCs I made last year, and this one might just be better :sweet: It's a bit longer and wider than the car in this topic, has RWD via fast output of one buggy motor and 20/28(diff), servo steering, all-wheel suspension, my 10 volt battery pack and some 'small racing wheels' with street tires, it has wonderful performance outside and absorbs all bumps/jumps, and after a splash through a puddle it turns into a drift car :laugh: might make a topic with pics tomorrow...

Interesting! I have about 3 unfinished cars on my desk...I need more servos :sceptic:

I know what you mean! I had to rip apart the reaper just to continue with my projects. heheheh

Yes I'm lucky to have 2 buggy motors at the moment, saw some going for 30-40 USD on bricklink some time ago but they disappeared a week after seeing them :wink: apparently people are on the prowl for them. Back on topic, today I made a rebuild from my memory-one of my favorite RC MOCs I made last year, and this one might just be better :sweet: It's a bit longer and wider than the car in this topic, has RWD via fast output of one buggy motor and 20/28(diff), servo steering, all-wheel suspension, my 10 volt battery pack and some 'small racing wheels' with street tires, it has wonderful performance outside and absorbs all bumps/jumps, and after a splash through a puddle it turns into a drift car :laugh: might make a topic with pics tomorrow...

Look forward to seeing that one too!

I have an idea! I just looked at my "real" RC car and wondered if you rip it apart and use all its components with 100%lego chassis, how fast can lego gooooo? :tongue:

I would say it would be safe upto 30kph after that I'm sure it would break apart. :devil:

I know what you mean! I had to rip apart the reaper just to continue with my projects. heheheh

Look forward to seeing that one too!

I have an idea! I just looked at my "real" RC car and wondered if you rip it apart and use all its components with 100%lego chassis, how fast can lego gooooo? :tongue:

I would say it would be safe upto 30kph after that I'm sure it would break apart. :devil:

at that point you would run into the limits of plastic-for example axles (without lubricant) heating up and getting shaved away/melted/twisted, and gears breaking, because chassis can be made strong, but of course not metal strong :tongue: even with the buggy motors after prolonged use plastic wear is noticeable. Edited by z3_2drive

It would be so nice having lego made of aluminium and powered by fuel engines XD far far away from toys lol

Tomorrow I'd tryout a 100% LEGO build free run prototype with a estimated speed of 27Km/H

Wow, that sounds really really fast! I hope you take a video!!

Tomorrow I'd tryout a 100% LEGO build free run prototype with a estimated speed of 27Km/H

II can't believe you can go up to 27 kph, but you can try it...

ps: please modify your public profile, catalonia is not a country... You can create confusion between EB readers. Catalonia is only a region inside Spain

Edited by Sheepo