Wow I've had that magic cube sitting on my shelf for half a year now, and I actually play around with it quite often.

I'm going to be building the nano one! It is the perfect size for your pocket!

Ditto! Just ordered some red pieces. haha

Here's a quick update on the Hot rod detailing. :laugh:

9022619473_ec83630ab5_c.jpg9024849104_cfc0c0b2ac_c.jpg

This is my first attempt to really detail a model, so thought I would try this before the Patria! hahaha

I think the bonnet is 1 or two stud too high,If yo look at the previous picture you can see the front lights are about half way up in height.

:grin: thanks for the comments guys. But I'm not sure, I'm basing the design of these pics. Keep in mind this is a wide angle lens so it is a bit distorted

004.jpg

I think the head lights on mine are a little too high, to be honest. Not sure how I will fix that!

Also the wheel dont help, I think I need to reduce the live axle by 2 studs and bring in the lights by half a stud each. :grin:

:blush:

for the front i would take these tires too

I tried, but those wheels don't fit in the new 42000 hubs. :hmpf_bad:

If I place them out wards it looks even more strange. :sceptic:

What other wheels are there that are thinner than 8070 wheels?

I'm thinking a complete resign when I have the time. I have RC motors coming so may want to put them in and make it much faster! :grin:

Edited by Doc_Brown

Your bonnet height is actually slightly low....

Just working off the picture, the proportions of the real grill are 8:5 and the grill height is about half the overall width... Your grill is about 8:6. Your lights are in the right place.

BUT.... The tyres (&wheels) are what is wrong... They need to be just a bit more than half as wide and half as high again... centred about where the top of your 3x3 liftarms are.

(Only my opinion) Dump the hubs and go with the 62.4x20 wheels and tyres, mounted 2 studs higher, then they will fit perfectly with what you have already done... The hotrod is potentially brilliant as it is so far... But not with those wheels.

:grin: thanks for the comments guys. But I'm not sure, I'm basing the design of these pics. Keep in mind this is a wide angle lens so it is a bit distorted

004.jpg

I think the head lights on mine are a little too high, to be honest. Not sure how I will fix that!

Also the wheel dont help, I think I need to reduce the live axle by 2 studs and bring in the lights by half a stud each. :grin:

looking at this i'd say that the proportions are good! :P go on !!

Another update! I have lowered the bonnet by 1 stud. Made the front axle narrower by 1 and completely redesigned it. Now it is smaller lighter and stronger! WIN WIN.

I think it looks much cleaner and less bulky too.

As for the wheels, still not decided as yet. I think 62.4 ones are too small as you can see below. But at least this new axle can support them, so the choice is available.

I think with grey rims the wider tire will look better.

This will be a tutor Hotrod, so I do think the wider tires will look good when the huge back is built. :grin:

9039257168_ca49a684ef_c.jpg9037032413_b1d55f274e_c.jpg

9037057667_cfd41dec74_c.jpg9039258006_fe0a8aa941_c.jpg

Your bonnet height is actually slightly low....

Just working off the picture, the proportions of the real grill are 8:5 and the grill height is about half the overall width... Your grill is about 8:6. Your lights are in the right place.

BUT.... The tyres (&wheels) are what is wrong... They need to be just a bit more than half as wide and half as high again... centred about where the top of your 3x3 liftarms are.

(Only my opinion) Dump the hubs and go with the 62.4x20 wheels and tyres, mounted 2 studs higher, then they will fit perfectly with what you have already done... The hotrod is potentially brilliant as it is so far... But not with those wheels.

Thanks very much for your comment, but unfortunately as you can see I have already altered the model before I read this! The tire I want doesn't exist in lego! :hmpf_bad:

The front suspension is very neat. Could you take a photo from the bottom of the car?

Looking great. I love the way you've got the bonnet to spread out as you move from the front to the back. Really nice. And love the suspension components...real low-rider.

Great start for a hotrod. I really like your second axle design.

Could you try with the tires from 42000? They are the same with, but a little bit taller, but they might be to tall...

-ED-

Edited by Nazgarot

How about the rare 68.8x24 wheels from the 5571. Now those would be perfect no doubt. Good luck getting them at a reasonable price though.

You're right... I was very wrong with the 62.4 x 20 idea.... Way too small....

What if....

(Just being pedantic about proportion...)

Thinking 1930's/40's/50's hot-rods.... You could get a decent looking result with Unimog wheels/tyres on the back and motor cycle wheel/tyres on the front....

Again, only my opinion, but if I was building this I would just try all I have till it 'looked right'... And for this I would probably be looking for something around 100mm OD for tyres. (Then again MC tyres have the wrong profile/tread... but they are 100mm.. Oh no!.... they are about 5mm bigger than the Unimog tyres..... These wheels still look hot-rod-ish standing on my table.)

Of course, if money is no object and you are not one of those who must use only pristine Lego bits without any flexibility, there are lots of third party options available discussed at great length on this forum already.

It is looking really good.... But, Really Good... So Far.

Edited by aqaz

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

How about the rare 68.8x24 wheels from the 5571. Now those would be perfect no doubt. Good luck getting them at a reasonable price though.

Ohhh that is a thought, will have a look see.

@aqaz That's funny, cos I was thinking the exact same thing. Tho I will stick it out with this model and the next one will be slightly larger with unimog for back and large bike for front.

after all I hav lots to learn. :grin:

Great minds think alike....

....'after all I hav lots to learn.' Haven't we all.... If you stop learning you may as well be dead.

For those that have not seen or do not know!

Yes I know its not technic, but perhaps its ok to show! :grin:

Edited by Doc_Brown

Yes I know its not technic, but perhaps its ok to show! :grin:

Just because it's your own MOC WIP thread, doesn't mean it's ok to go completely off-topic. The new movie is being discussed in the Culture and Multimedia forum.

Just got my first RC unit and controller with Motors! Very excited as I learn how to incorporate into my mocs. Here's what I have come up with so far. :grin:

9126807546_1f8d16b087_c.jpg9126806742_5581f406e4_c.jpg

Also a test for the body of a famous car? Have a guess! HAHA Yeeehhhhhaaaaa :tongue:

9126808142_7a71ec1c07_c.jpg