Guss

Medieval Caravelle.

I everyone, it's been a while ^^

I did a little caravelle for an exhibition, and I wanted to show it to you.

So first, let me present you the exhibition, click here to see it :

8869375453_c9d9f9f90a_z.jpg

I did the coastal village, the brillant castle you'll see on some photo has been built by Laurent T, another member of freelug

Srsly though, this fortified village is epic

http://photos.freelug.org/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=187028&g2_serialNumber=2

ok the forum don't want me to post pictures with that extension, when it works well on other forums. this gallery is srsly lame, screw freelug :D

Anyway, for this exhibition I quickly built a caravelle that I really liked, so here are some pictures of it :

8879858946_baee82f2d8_z.jpg

If you don't like it I officially hate you.

Also, I thought I really should show you Laurent's part of the layout , as it was really outstanding, so there ya go :

8899813271_910b82d36f_c.jpg

Image is a link to his freelug's gallery.

Edited by Guss

interesting to see another take on the same kind of ship, although I'd say your ship looks more like a carrack :wink:

thanks pif500 ^^ I actually used the hull part upside down in 2 previous mocs , an airship and a submarine. I like this combo.

Kabel : could you please provide me a link to your take on a caravelle ? I can see the miniature on your signature but it's not a link to the whole model^^

actually I based mine on the memory I have of my childhood when I live near a port where some medieval ships used to stay for a while before going elsewhere. So I think yours must be more accurate, as I did mine without any research in a rush.

I think I like it, but it is a bit hard to pick-up the detail with all the black in the background!

@guss: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=522918

I actually based mine on the revell santa maria model, and some other drawing, however, my front mast is not as accurate as yours

my ship is actually part of the GoH challenge six:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81255

there is also a wip topic in the pirates forum, as I wanted some feedback from the ship builders

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79704

Beautiful ship. :wub: . Love the shaping. Great layout! Amazing work! :sweet:

Soccerkid6 : thanks ^^ the sails are from the imperial flagship, everything on this ship, string included, are official lego parts, no cut, nothing. I used to use custom strings and sails but now I tend to build with unmodified Lego parts only, it makes building a ship really challenging.

Zcerberus : I like my black background :P in the diorama folder you have some picture of it on the diorama, without black background^^

tedbeard : thanks ^^ my first plan was to make it entirely reddish brown, but I realised it would look boring. so I added a color.

Kabel : mine wasn't supposed to be historically accurate, it's kind of ok, but if you look at it stern, there is a HUGE WINDOW that couldn't exist in medieval time on a ship. But it was for a medieval-fantastic diorama so that's ok.

Yours looks really nice, you worked hard to make a nice shape with shifted bricks, and the result is really cool. There is just one thing that bother me on most model I see, the masts are straight, I saw some medieval ships in real life as I said, and only a few had straight masts (maybe it's something about the Mediterranean ships I don't know ) , most had the front and read masts slightly tilted, I exaggerated it on mine, but they still are. (talking about ships that were around before the pirate era. )

I mean like this one :

caravelle-282220.jpg

Ok I REALLY REALLY exaggerated it, but I like tilted mast, surely because I have a tilted mind :D

Infernum : thanks for the ship, and thanks for the layout, I'll tell the others you like it ^^

I thought I really should show you Laurent's part of the layout , as it was really outstanding, so there ya go :

8899813271_910b82d36f_c.jpg

Image is a link to his freelug's gallery.

really cool! I like the unique bow, never seen it before, has a cool look to it!

you should join guilds of historica!

@Guss: I totally understand what you mean, I was about to tilt the front mast too, but didn't like the way it looked. That's why mine is straight. Anyway, more medevial ships are needed!

btw, following the picture you have just posted, about a year ago I build something on small prefabs as my first take on a caravelle:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=504803

Edited by kabel

Legonardo : thanks a lot mate, but I don't think I should join one of the guilds, I don't have enough time to get involved in something like that, the port and the caravelle are my only MOCS of this year and I had to take some days off my job to complete them.

Kabel : TILT THAT MAST NOW ! :D I like your little caravelle, looks simple but cool , and I wish I had these old hulls :/

Nice ship!! I really like how you did the bow ! (I always hate that part :laugh: )

I also like the dark red influence you silently put on some places!

Really cool how it bends in on itself. Nice piece of medieval shipbuilding!

Great display you all had!

thanks Damaximus ^^ I thought it needed some more colors so I put some dark red :D

proraptor ; thanks ^^

Skaforhire : thank you ^^ and thanks for all of us :D