zux

Seeking for good Technic set/sets with pneumatics

Hi EB members,

I'm LEGO fan since early 90s and have came back from my Dark age recently with 8297 set. I like it because of nice technical-mechanical base (independent suspension, fake motor connected to back wheels, differentials) this model has. I know this model is now old and most of you aren't interested in it but I'm actually it process of modification with more features (didn't see such mod before).

I still have several Technic and Model Team sets from before the Dark age time, however these were before studless era came in, so 8297 was pretty new and fun to build. I've continued on my new collection with 9398 Crawler which has nice PF features and 8475 with Radio control and buggy motors :blush:

Since I was a kid at the time I started my LEGO collection I couldn't afford any of big sets, especially Technic ones, so I hope I could get those 8880, 8466 and others later :classic:

As you may see my recent sets having new features I didn't have before. One thing I believe I'm missing - pneumatics. This is very new and unknown to me and I'd like to explore this LEGO feature too. I wish you guys to suggest me the best set to get acquainted with pneumatics and enjoy it.

There are two sets I found and interested:

8462 Tow Truck (1998 year set)

8110 Unimog - prices decreased so it is possible find a good deal on MISB set, not sure if it has cool pneumatic features.

Any ideas are welcome.

The two best pneumatic sets are 8868 and 8455 without question. However, they are both pretty hard to get since they have been long out of production. It is worth it though. If you want to understand the original single acting pneumatic system, I'd recommend 8851.

Agreed with Blakbird, you cannot go wrong with either of those! :thumbup:

If you live in, say, Germany, from what I understand they both come up reasonably priced on e-bay from time to time :classic:

If you are getting in to the studless way of building, I would recommend the 8455 over the 8868. Also, for the sheer number of pneumatic parts (10 cylinders, 2 pumps, lots of T-joints, valves and tubing), it really is a gold mine for the pneumatic enthusiast!

The 8110 Unimog is also a great set just for the other parts as well!

However, if you just want pneumatic pieces, bricklink is defiantely the way to go, especially when it comes to price. :blush:

Either mentioned set will suit you well,as already mentioned 8455 is all stud less as is the 8110, if you go for 8868 you will be stocking up on precarious ages parts, great fun to play with mind

You could get 8868 for very reasonble price (even as low as 40-50euro) on ebay.de. One was selling at our LUG exhibition for 90 and did not get sold. Building experianece is very good on this set, but I could understand that som people wil find it oudated. 8455 on the other side is modern build (even if its 10 year old) but prices are higher.

8110 is of course best choice, but price is high even with discounts.

I "won" an 8455 on eBay for £67 which is not too bad - worth waiting for an auction to come up as the Buy-it-now pricing can be quite ambitious. On the other hand, if you can't wait....

8455 is the mother of all pneumatic sets with 8868 being probably the most coverted. But time is running short for 8110. The previous sets I mentioned have more pneumatics than 8110 however 8110 still has a motor compressor, two large cylinders, one small cylinder, three valves and two pnematic power take-off pieces and is a fantastic set all round so I'de get that whilst you still can direct from Lego for a good price.

Edit, forgot to mention non of the above sets have an airtank. The big blue tow truck from 1998 has two, something to consider perhaps.

Edited by allanp

Thanks all for your thoughts!

So if I got it right about 8110 - grab while you still can, because of parts, wheels, suspension parts and of course pneumatics?

I'm comfortable with old, pre-studless beam era, sets, but 8868 is just a set, nothing much exiting about it to me. Great guys you've mentioned 8455, I'll be keeping an eye on this!

And what about 8462? It is nice looking blue truck to me, with cool wheels and some pneumatics too. Is it something wrong with it since none of you commented on it?

Edit, forgot to mention non of the above sets have an airtank. The big blue tow truck from 1998 has two, something to consider perhaps.

What is so special about airtank?

8462 is the "big blue tow truck from 1998" mentioned by allanp.

I've got it and 8455 and much prefer 8455. The blue tow truck does have the air tanks, but the pneumatics are just ordinary, and the build is too. 8455 is much more fun to build and to play with.

I've also got 8110, but by the time I bought it, the winter was over (well, supposed to be), so I'm saving it till it gets cold and I need to sit in front of the fire and play, so can't comment on it. Although I love the idea of the compressor instead of having to pump pump pump.

Whatever you get, I'm sure you will have fun building and learning from, and playing with.

The air tanks save you having to pump everytime you want to operate a valve as they store air. You still have to pump as many times, but you can do lots of pumping and then lots of playing, as opposed to pump play, pump play, pump play.

Edited by Chilly

I converted 8455 to take air from 8110s PTO. It works really fine and you can finally operate pneumatics properly.

I converted 8455 to take air from 8110s PTO. It works really fine and you can finally operate pneumatics properly.

I'll have to try that - makes a mental note :sadnew:

I think controlling of the crane is done better in 8868 than 8110, but the latter is still available at the moment.

The 8459 Front End Loader has been re-released twice, as 8439 and 8464. It might be not too difficult to get one.

It is also worth to not that the 8455 can easily be modified to have an airtank if that is something you want :thumbup:

You just remove the fake inline-3 engine, and but the tank in its place! :classic:

Hello zux,

Nice to see someone else from Baltics here and someone who is back from dark age as well. :classic: I wrote you a Direct Message in case you didn't notice that.

Regarding pneumatics question - I would suggest 8110, due to it's size and good deals for it at this point.

The two best pneumatic sets are 8868 and 8455 without question. However, they are both pretty hard to get since they have been long out of production. It is worth it though. If you want to understand the original single acting pneumatic system, I'd recommend 8851.

for 8851: or you built it with the more modern (and IMHO much better) currently used pneumatic-system using this great instructions: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79484

Works perfectly and results in a very good pneumatic excavator.

I "won" an 8455 on eBay for £67 which is not too bad - worth waiting for an auction to come up as the Buy-it-now pricing can be quite ambitious. On the other hand, if you can't wait....

Because I wan not that lucky, I've decided to make my own - only color scheme is compatible with 2008 and above ind for me it is the best pnaumatic set ever done

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=497487