Name: Gold Getaway

Theme: Castle

Year of Release: 2013

Pieces: 199

Minifigures: 3

Price: $19.99 USD

Links: Flickr image gallery Bricklink Brickset

8845758316_2cb2701cb6_c.jpg

Like my last review of the smallest set in this Castle line, 70400 Forest Ambush, these images have been provided by my brother who has obtained these sets prior to their official release and been granted permission to review them. This is the second smallest set and the largest vehicle-based model. On the subject of its box art, I thought it was funny that the green frog placed on top of the guard booth in the instructions can be seen tumbling out of the chest on the back of the wagon.

8845770980_c3e5d323c0_c.jpg

The figures include one Red Dragon (the name I've given this faction) with a head that is new to this 2013 product line and two Crownies with the two perhaps most frequently used (even overused?) old heads of all the historical themes. The Red Dragon fig has the lamellar-style torso print and the Crownie swordsman the cuirass design, both appearing in the smaller set, while the poleaxe fig wears a tunic not appearing in that set (but like the one you'd expect to be hypothetically under the cuirass) and a belt with a shoulder sash.

8845184693_842b23cfbb_c.jpg

Also unlike the smallest set in this line, none of these heads are double-sided/printed with alternate exp<b></b>ressions on the back. There is however nice back printing on the torsos like in all the sets in the line.

8845163775_7847a80a19_c.jpg

The Red Dragon paddywagon/Black Maria might look a bit odd with the red 1x1 "cheese" slopes on the top, but it seems that all the faction's vehicles carry this motif in mimesis of draconic osteoderms (those spikes down the spine). The roof, mostly a single 4x6 plate, is made to easily pop off as it's only attached at the front (the red tile at the back is a 2x4 supporting the back of the roof). As a more obvious playability feature, there's a Technic axle on the opposite side of the carriage, which, when pushed in, ejects the end of the chain attached to a flick-fire missile base.

8845189643_6cf374f46d.jpg8845807842_672019a6ff.jpg

The harness has a degree of rotation which allows the horse to freely rear while hitched. The new champron (the barding over the bridle on the horse's head) strangely has a much tighter fit than any of the old ones were on the old horses - neither fit interchangeably - and its texture is ever more detailed. On this side of the carriage you can see there's a Technic half pin like the one that connects the other end of the chain on the opposite side, but this one strangely connects nothing. The panel of bars on this side doesn't open like the door on the left side, hence the flame on the torch can be positioned parallel to the cab without the need for clearance of a door swinging open as on the left.

8853127177_7046642b0f_c.jpg

The chest on the back of the carriage holds six 1x1 round "coin" tiles and the three jewels that someone's got to use for that medieval traffic light.

8845800750_ba73132b51_c.jpg

There's not much to say about this small ruinous structure other than there is indeed a clip brick on the other side visible on the box art.

8845131253_9100e7c4c1_c.jpg

The ballista is built with the Crownie colors and doesn't fit with the Red Dragon horse, that is, the wheels are suspended unfavorably above the hooves when the "trail" on the artillery carriage is mounted on the horse's midsection.

8853928739_028d56b06c_c.jpg

Parts of interest include this newer bracket element at the center of the siege engine, the carriage wheels in this unique metallic color (Bricklink calls it Pearl Dark Gray), and the 1x1 round tile with the padlock print.

8845758844_f5a1dd7823_c.jpg

The supplemental 1x2 black brick and plate for the horse accompanies the extra pieces, mostly 1x1s and weapon/accessory pieces and a Technic pin as is typical.

8853837427_158eaac069_c.jpg

A typified opinion on the ratings for the set:

Design: 3/5 - The wagon is solidly built and has a pleasant color theme that doesn't look too outrageously unrealistic. On the other hand, the Crownie's building ruin is rather disappointing, and the flick-fire ballista looks bulky and rather colorful.

Build: 5/5 - The set has few large pieces, and although the build wasn't challenging, it wasn't very repetitive either.

Playability: 4/5 - The set name and box art imply that the Red Dragons are trying to steal the treasure. Although the Red Dragon vehicle is a prison wagon, the box art doesn't suggest it anywhere that the cell hold one of the enemy Crown soldiers. However the chain ejection mechanism is simple but elegant.

Parts: 5/5 - Even though few parts are relatively new, the new style horse and champron barding as well as all of the new prints on the minifigure heads and torsos are most satisfying.

Price: 4/5 - $20 for this set does seem a bit high, even though the horse and three minifigures contribute to that. The price to piece ratio is a fair ten cents per piece.

Overall: 4/5 - It's a good set with ample playability and detailed figures. The play features and overall design seem well thought out. I would recommend this set to castle builders.

The carriage is okay, the other thing is... well, pointless.

The price seems a bit off, compared to the similar priced sets from Kingdoms. Far off, actually - even though it has a slightly higher piece count, it just doesn't seem as substantial...

Good, clear review, plus lovely photos yet again. I think this set to be a little lacklustre, I'll probably just get a solitary one for the horse and some of the pieces (padlock).

Good review. I really like this set; it's a very unique carriage design. The ballista doesn't look as bad as I was expecting either. The small outpost doesn't make a whole lot of sense other than as a hiding place for additional playability. However, it has some nice parts and is built in a way that gives it a varied texture, so it doesn't feel too simplistic. Is it me, or are the bars connecting the horse to the carriage smaller on the box art than in the actual set? Kind of odd, but the classic longer ones make more sense.

Is it me, or are the bars connecting the horse to the carriage smaller on the box art than in the actual set? Kind of odd, but the classic longer ones make more sense.

I think it's the same part, the technic ski-pole, but I think that they've used a bit of artistic license on the box and shrunk them to get everything to fit. I'm fairly certain that the box art is rendered and composited rather than being photographed and then composited so they can do these little tricks. Another hint is that the shadows between the balista and the carriage are in different directions... Gone are the days when it all had to be set up precisely and photographed extremely carefully.

I think it's the same part, the technic ski-pole, but I think that they've used a bit of artistic license on the box and shrunk them to get everything to fit. I'm fairly certain that the box art is rendered and composited rather than being photographed and then composited so they can do these little tricks. Another hint is that the shadows between the balista and the carriage are in different directions... Gone are the days when it all had to be set up precisely and photographed extremely carefully.

Actually, I'm still pretty sure that the box art is a photograph in this case. A high-resolution image shows some very realistic imperfections like the molding marks on the inside of the horse's rear legs. It's not impossible that they might have photoshopped it to make the parts appear smaller, though. It just seems like a somewhat curious design decision.

Of course, it's understandable why they might have done this. In addition to having the "actual size" callout on the top of every box, TLG has a fondness for having at least one of the main product images on a box be close to actual size. I first noticed this with some BIONICLE and Hero Factory boxes, where in some cases this meant having the figure in a very "closed" pose (with parts of their body overlapping) or even cropping the main image at the knees or shins to fit the figure on their package (a smaller image on the back would show the figure in its entirety). This is one reason I was somewhat uneasy with TLG's decision to cut down on their box sizes: I was worried that it might mean not having this characteristic on as many sets. Thankfully, this set seems to show that TLG is willing to "cheat" a bit with their product images to maintain reasonably-sized images of their products on the front of boxes.

Built this last night-- the carriage is a really solid design. I'm tempted to get another simply because the 'prison carriage' has its limits... Sure, it's great for nabbing the princess to take back to Dragon Mountain, but what if the evil wizard has places to be? Doesn't make sense to lock up who is apparently the head honcho of the entire Red Dragon faction!

Another incentive for a second purchase is the man-at-arms with the split white/blue tunic (pictured at far right above). I've got this thing about having an even number of guards, call it symmetry or whatever. As it stands, if one were to pick up the entire theme ey would end up with 3 of these guys. Might have to pick up a second once they go on sale before Christmas.

Very nice review! OK set. :classic:

I think this is one of my favorite Carriages I've seen by Lego (second only to the Red Lion King's Carriage from the last theme.) I really like how they've designed the harness to fit with the new horse and its new ability to rear up.

As far as pieces go, I'm pleased with the selection in this set, especially the new horse armour piece. I also love the Tunic-wearing knight. (I wish it didn't have the crown belt, but that's not too offensive, and if I want it gone, I can just flip the figure's torso... but then I guess I'd lose the buckle...)

All that said, I don't think I will buy this, because everything I want from this set, I can get (with more) from the Gatehouse raid, which also has the black bucket helm, the beautiful red Horse barding, the tunic knight, the dragon chest plate, etc...

Thanks for the review!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Your pictures are so vibrant the colours almost sting my tired eyes.

The only thing this set does for me introducing the horse helmet in a small set so that BL prices will be not too high. Painting will be necessary though, the red is unbearable.