Sign in to follow this  
reibuehl

Quick connect/disconnect of pneumatic hoses?

Hi all,

I have the 8110 Unimog U400 and noticed already during the building that the pneumatic hoses fix extremely tight onto the switches and connectors. I hardly could mount them. Is there a way to connect/diconnect them quick and easy e.g. for removing the crane? Maybe even a connector?

Any ideas?

Best regards,

Reiner.

@ reibuehl: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: You could place the pneumatic hoses in a tub of hot water (to lube them and expand them slightly). The water will eventually evaporate, but you will be able to slip the hoses onto the pneumatic connectors easier.

I think that if they are used a lot, they will gain more elasticity. I bought some new and heavily used hoses both from 8110 and the used ones are definitely easier to attach.

Don't store your hoses mounted on parts. The ends get stretched out too much and they will pop off too easily. I have some hoses that look like trumpets becasue of this. They are easier to mount, but it is not worth it.

I do not know how to make new hoses easier to mount.

v/r

Andy

I used this method before my dark ages (the hoses where a lot stiffer with less flex back then):

1. Leave hoses mounted on parts til they get stretched (this will not be as easy with newer hoses, but maybe some kind of heat treatment like dipping them in hot oil can help) til they became loose.

2. Find a soft metal tube (like copper or brass) that fits tightly outside the hose when it is connected.

3. Cut an grind a few "sleeves" of the tube, and use this to lock the hose in place.

4. You have a solid hose connection that is very easy to connect/disconnect. Just pull back the "sleeves" and the hose comes of easily.

I haven't tried this with newer hoses, and this was back in the early nineties, so I don't know if it will work with modern hoses and connectors.

-ED-

Hi, Twisting on and twisting off the pneumatic hose works fine for me. friction creates heat :classic:

Edited by Boxerlego

Thanks for all the hints. I will try it with heat then. It might be the best idea then to not play too much with the connections once they are in place.

I was hoping that somebody has found something non-LEGO that could be mis-used as a quick release hose coupling :classic:

I purchased some 3rd party pneumatic hoses from ebay. And I must say, that they are much better in regards of attaching them to the in/outlets of pneumatic devices. So far, I didn't even have problems with them popping off due to high pressure, though I would assume they are easier prone to leaking than the original ones.

They are much more like the old hoses that I have and I can cut them in the lengthes that I need. So for all my MOCs I will keep the original hoses separately and just use the 3rd party hoses.

And they are available in blue, black, grey and transparent.

Edited by Balrog

@Balrog: Do you have by chance still a link to the Ebay seller where you got the 3rd party hoses?

i always just give the end a quick roll around in my mouth before twisting it onto the nipple of the component, works well on the old and new style hoses

What about using these:

99021.jpg?2

The hose is very easily placed onto this and it also gives a 'tidy look'. :classic:

Like the others say,a small dab of lube should help joining hose to fittings.