Dorayaki

Disney franchises selective?

Something about John Carter: the screenplay is an adaptation of a book titled A Princess of Mars, published in 1917. Another studio produced Princess of Mars in 2009, as a NR film, based on the same book. Given the source material, Disney may not have owned the rights to the merchandizing.

As for Wreck-It-Ralph: on the IMDb listings, under Company Credits, there are a host of other companies including Columbia Pictures Industries, Twentieth Century Fox (The Newman Scoring Stage), Skywalker Sound and Sony Scoring Stage. The movie is listed as written by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, though, so I may be wrong about the company overlaps being an impediment here.

We may get Frozen as a Disney Princesses set later on if the line continues, as it is "inspired by" the original Hans Christian Andersen story The Snow Queen. Snow White could happen as well.

Muppets Most Wanted (Muppets 2): I doubt we'll get anything based on the original Jim Henson characters. How would one make Kermit in Lego anyway?

I doubt Million Dollar Arm will be Lego either, as the target audience appears to be the adult baseball and cricket fans. If you want your fig to have a cricket bat, I suggest going to a Brickarms seller.

Saving Mr. Banks also seems to be an adult targeted film.

The Good Dinosaur I could see as a Duplo line. There exists already a host of Duplo dinosaurs that could be adapted, but I'd have to see some film art to be sure.

One movie (also listed as written by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures) I'd hope to see as a Lego License is Tomorrowland. It's slated for a 2015 release and is starring George Clooney. It is being directed (filming now by it's listing) by the director of The Incredibles, Brad Bird (who also has a screenplay writer credit). Clooney in Lego! I would be one fig closer to having my Ocean's trilogy crew. This is a long shot, as it also might not fit Lego's target audience.

Something about John Carter: the screenplay is an adaptation of a book titled A Princess of Mars, published in 1917. Another studio produced Princess of Mars in 2009, as a NR film, based on the same book. Given the source material, Disney may not have owned the rights to the merchandizing.

Princess of Mars is public domain now. There were no issues of merchandising rights or naming rights. The property is also commonly known as "John Carter, Warlord of Mars", which honestly would have served the movie much better than simply John Carter. I think I remember reading somewhere that Lego did in fact do a little bit of development work on some ships and sets for John Carter, but were not happy with the results and were not convinced it would be a worthwhile path to go down. (I'm not sure where but I could swear I have seen a picture of a developers scratch model of a martian flyer.)

If they do Wreck-it Ralph sets that would be cool, but there's one more thing that they cannot be featured due to licensing such as:

- Q Bert

- M. Bison

- Neff

- Zangief

- Clyde from Pacman

If they do Wreck-it Ralph sets that would be cool, but there's one more thing that they cannot be featured due to licensing such as:

- Q Bert

- M. Bison

- Neff

- Zangief

- Clyde from Pacman

That is probably a strong part of why TLG didn't go for a wir license at the time. It really is a confusing property to license and market.

Because Wreck-it Ralph is a Disney movie that focuses on video games.

Because while vary good movie, breaking it into a Lego theme has some marketing issues. What is the target audience for the toys? The wreck it Ralph game and characters? (Seems a good general fit), Heroes Duty? (Kinda like Galaxy Squad), Sugar Rush? (A girly themed cart racing theme?). Plus using any of the more classic video game characters is unlikely because of multiple licences. So they are left with a theme that would be all over the place in terms of who it is targeted at. Not a good recipe for success.

Muppets Most Wanted (Muppets 2): I doubt we'll get anything based on the original Jim Henson characters. How would one make Kermit in Lego anyway?

The Good Dinosaur I could see as a Duplo line. There exists already a host of Duplo dinosaurs that could be adapted, but I'd have to see some film art to be sure.

So far most Lego licenses are animaton or action, unless the Sherlock Holmes of BBC project get passed. I'm happy to see those non-action themes but they still have to be well-playable sets.

Many movie licenses are adaptions to existed novels, and Prince Of Persia is also a game licensed owned by Ubisoft. But the authorization could be different between the original owners.

Muppets could be regarded as an idependent license along with Marvel and Star Wars. I don't think it's difficut to make if TLC, who have made lots of newly-molded heads for othere themes, is also willing to do it for the muppets.

I think The Good Dinosaur has potential in both System and Duplo. I'm not sure why there are no System Planes so far. Maybe the films themesleves don't target at older film lovers like Cars did, or maybe TLC would do it later.

Edited by Dorayaki

When it comes to Kermit and the other muppets, I was thinking about scale. If the minifig represents human size, the muppets (most of them anyway) would be considerably smaller. Take some time to watch Muppets Take Manhattan and you'll see what I mean. The muppets live in our world and they interact with people.

The muppets would be possible in system scale if you consider the old monkey fig. But their development would mean new,complex molds.

If they do Wreck-it Ralph sets that would be cool, but there's one more thing that they cannot be featured. Because Wreck-it Ralph is a Disney movie that focuses on video games.

Have you ever heard of Toy Story? But that's not a good example either, because what it showed (if there isn't going to be another sequel in these years) is that the other licensed characters (ex, the Potatoes and Barbie couples) didn't show up in any set. I'm actually curious if Barbie got to be a Lego minifigure/doll in this chance before MegaBloks.

For Wreck-it Ralph sets, it could be easier because the licensed characters are not doing with the main storyline. The three games involved in this story are all parodies created by Disney. I don't think Zangief or Q Bert have to appear here even though I love them and I want to see them.

Disney imported licensed characters into the two films mostly because they have to make it look like the real world, while only putting original characters would be less convincing. But it creates some problems for the toy companies who are competitor of each other and they can hardly make toys based on the whole theme.

What is the target audience for the toys? The wreck it Ralph game and characters? (Seems a good general fit), Heroes Duty? (Kinda like Galaxy Squad), Sugar Rush? (A girly themed cart racing theme?). So they are left with a theme that would be all over the place in terms of who it is targeted at. Not a good recipe for success.

I don't think that's a case. Both Toy Story and the upcoming Lego Movie prove that mixing targeted markets in a theme works. Those who love the stoy would buy all, and each subtheme is also able to attract different fans at the same time.

Edited by Dorayaki

When it comes to Kermit and the other muppets, I was thinking about scale. If the minifig represents human size, the muppets (most of them anyway) would be considerably smaller. Take some time to watch Muppets Take Manhattan and you'll see what I mean. The muppets live in our world and they interact with people.

So the Toy Story minifigures should had been much different than what we have, not to think about the green army :tongue: . I don't think that's the case. If we need to make human characters at the same time, we can simply include them in a different set. Unless you really want to see a human minifigure playing muppets.

Would love some TRON sets

I'd say something like

Lightbike Battle

Sam Flynn

Clu 2

2x Lightcycles

1x Miniature arena

2x Lightwalls

Clu's Coup

Clu

Tron (Black)

Kevin Flynn (Jacket)

2x Black Guards

1x Iso building

MCP Takedown

Kevin Flynn (Classic)

Tron (Classic)

Sark

1x Buildable MCP

1x Platform

Beck VS Cyrus: The Energy Collector

Beck (Black)

Cyrus

1x Energy Collector

Lightjet Pursuit

Sam Flynn

Kevin Flynn (Black)

Quorra

Clu 2

Rinzler

3x Lightjets

Portal Escape

Sam Flynn

Quorra

Kevin Flynn (Black)

Clu

1x Bridge

1x Portal

Would love some TRON sets

Uhmm... I'm not very familiar with this franchise, It wouldn't target at young customers, or it doesn't show too many building ideas, though perhaps it's more original than Lone Ranger.

Uhmm... I'm not very familiar with this franchise, It wouldn't target at young customers, or it doesn't show too many building ideas, though perhaps it's more original than Lone Ranger.

They would if they did some on Uprising, it is the Firefly of animated shows cancelled too quickly

Princess of Mars is public domain now. There were no issues of merchandising rights or naming rights. The property is also commonly known as "John Carter, Warlord of Mars", which honestly would have served the movie much better than simply John Carter. I think I remember reading somewhere that Lego did in fact do a little bit of development work on some ships and sets for John Carter, but were not happy with the results and were not convinced it would be a worthwhile path to go down. (I'm not sure where but I could swear I have seen a picture of a developers scratch model of a martian flyer.)

I would have loved a John Carter line. I liked the film, and we could have had some great monster moulds.

:classic:

Now the Malfeficent deadline is approaching in the next month, but unfortunately it seems like that TLC isn't going to make sets based on the movie, though it can still be in future TLC line as princess relevent prodcuts.

I would love those Tron sets as well. Maybe when TR3N comes out.

A few of their films can fit under the Princess line in the future. Let's hope so...

I would love those Tron sets as well. Maybe when TR3N comes out.

If it ever comes out! TR3N is the Justice League of Disney films, always talked about but never released. They should just put out some stuff from Uprising, at least then we'll get our chance of a brick-built Grid

If it ever comes out! TR3N is the Justice League of Disney films, always talked about but never released. They should just put out some stuff from Uprising, at least then we'll get our chance of a brick-built Grid

The problem with Tron is the last movie REALLY stunk on the toy shelves. They had tons of overblown light up Tron toys. Light cycles, really ugly creepy action figures with weird back projected faces, etc. they all got dumped at feel discount. You can still find tons of them in $1 stores worldwide. Lego is not gonna jump on that subject without some clear unequivocal change in demand.

You can still find tons of them in $1 stores worldwide. Lego is not gonna jump on that subject without some clear unequivocal change in demand.

FRICKING WHERE! I NEED TO FINISH THE COLLECTION!

And anyway, a lot of those toys are crap, but they make good play-things for kids. My cousin's kid adores Uprising and even has the Rinzler and Sam figures, the problem is the quality of the toy, not that people don't want them, they do

Seems like Disney has a phobia of putting its mainline classic characters in proper minifig/system form. Mickey - Fabuland/Duplo Winnie the Pooh - Duplo (twice) Disney Princess - Friends/Duplo Peter Pan (Jake and the Neverland Pirates) - Duplo

Seems like Disney has a phobia of putting its mainline classic characters in proper minifig/system form. Mickey - Fabuland/Duplo Winnie the Pooh - Duplo (twice) Disney Princess - Friends/Duplo Peter Pan (Jake and the Neverland Pirates) - Duplo

I agree! :laugh: I just hope it happens someday.

I actually prefer the Friends scale for the princesses. One thing I did not like about the Duplo princesses was their shape was fat, and the animated versions of these princesses are not supposed to be fat. Minifig scale would do the same thing.

I would like to see the classic Disney characters (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, etc ...) done in minifig scale, but with the oversized heads. This might be why Fabuland scale worked well for Mickey, Fabuland has the oversized heads.

It's not a Phobia. It is actual planning of market segments and age ranges. At what Age ranges will kids seek and play with toys based on Mickie or Pooh? Duplo is designed to cover those ranges. AFOLs do not factor much into this sort of equation, except in rare special cases. I can see them doing something like a D2C captain Hook's Jolly Roger Pirate ship as a big AFOL bait 2000+ piece set. But not a whole minifig based system scale Peter Pan theme. The target audience does not match up with the product.