Sign in to follow this  
CMP

Heroica RPG - Quest #69: The Hook on the Other Hand

Sylph found the man face-down on the floor, a clean, deep cut across the front of his throat, from which blood blossomed onto the floor.

'Strange girl, I wonder...' Nessa thought as the heroes walked up the stairs and entered the mentor's room. "What a mess. Ok, I will search the chest for any clues."

'Strange girl, I wonder...' Nessa thought as the heroes walked up the stairs and entered the mentor's room. "What a mess. Ok, I will search the chest for any clues."

Nessa dug through the chest (which appeared to have been knocked over) and found a few drinks.

heroica-mead.jpg Mead - Causes the encouraged-effect, doubling the target's attack power for the duration of one battle.

heroica-mulledwine.jpg Mulled Wine - Causes the inspired-effect, doubling the target's current and maximum health for the duration of one battle.

Party leader, how will the loot be divided?

Sylph then inspected the Ax that seemed to be cast onto the bed,

The axe is small and dual-headed. Along the haft were distinctly Norse etchings, and there didn't seem to be any blood on the weapon.

The axe is small and dual-headed. Along the haft were distinctly Norse etchings, and there didn't seem to be any blood on the weapon.

Any indication as to WP? :innocent2:

Sylph noticed the Norse markings. "Was this your Mentor's ax?" He asked of Sofia. He returned to the neck wound and tried to determine if he could tell what weapon he knew of would likely have caused the wound. Did it appear sliced or hacked? Did it look like there'd been much of a struggle?

Any indication as to WP? :innocent2:

Sylph noticed the Norse markings. "Was this your Mentor's ax?" He asked of Sofia. He returned to the neck wound and tried to determine if he could tell what weapon he knew of would likely have caused the wound. Did it appear sliced or hacked? Did it look like there'd been much of a struggle?

heroica-twinaxe.jpg Twin Axe - WP: 5, dual-strike, axe.

Sofia looked back inside at the weapon.

8742461935_848c6bf4c7_t.jpg

"Yes, that was his. He always had it in his office, but I didn't know he took it with him..."

The skin is split evenly around the opening. It begins on the right side of his neck as a perfect line, but seems to curve to its end on the left, and becomes more shallow in that area.

Edited by CallMePie

The mercenary turned his head slowly towards Dreyrugr. What at first seemed some sort of mask actually seemed to comprise his head naturally, covered in blood red scales of some sort.

8742461929_981dfe702c_t.jpg

"A writer...really," he stated in a cool, monotone voice. "You seem a surprisingly well-armed writer, then, my friend."

8743578912_55a6809fb6_t.jpg

"HAH! Do not try and fool me aglhrghn, anyone with half a wit can figure out you're not. What is it, then? Assassin? Sellsword?" accused the strange orange being, her voice loud and gurgling.

8742461929_981dfe702c_t.jpg

"Hero...?" suggested the strange mercenary, quietly and astutely.

"Hero eh? No, the thought crossed my mind at a point. My grandfather was a general in the orcish war and insisted on training me. I hated it at first but after some bandits attacked our village and it ended up being useful. Ever since then I've traveled 'well armed' as you put it. But I've had to leave my village due to some personal reasons and it was only recently. I guess I can't brag about being a writer, since it was only recently but it's not my forte so I'm looking for some experiences to write about. I guess you're not up to speaking about them even if you had some to talk about. Sorry for interupting. Good day to you."

Not the best lie but that was shot down in an instant. I'm not sure what they are but they seem interesting.

Dreryrugr noticed his fellow heroes had already gone upstairs and figured no one would connect it to him if he left now so Dreyrugr goes up the stairs.

Erik searched the satchel on the chest.

Erik finds a leather-bound notebook, the front embroidered with gold threads. He opens it to examine its contents, and finds most of the pages detailing various trade agreements and day-to-day activities. The two most recent are also the most relevant.

8811103342_0395b5cc11_o.jpg8800518867_0acf2540b7_z.jpg

"So who wants a drink? Who is adverse to such things? Erik, I think it makes sense for you to take this mead, I heard you asking for a drink downstairs, and I know you're into this sort of brew. Mulled wine, anyone? Ranger? Demon?"

I smirk, wondering what sort of effect the mulled wine would have on the vampire. Half his health? Hopefully.

"Hmm, druid, what can you determine about the wound? Could that axe have done it? The axe doesn't appear to have any blood on it, so if it the working of the axe, then whoever did the deed had time to clean the blade and somehow thought that doing so would protect him or her and confuse matters. If it is not the axe that dealt the wound, then likely the victim saw the assassin and was trying to defend himself. It certainly appears as if there has been a struggle."

Edited by Palathadric

"Druid, since you will the healer among us due to the extraordinary talent of doing so in your field, I would advise that perhaps you give that hide to Erik. You can then use my Robe of the Archmagi to protect you from being sealed. What say you? Also, if you'll be using those scrolls, perhaps you should equip those glasses of yours and hand the hood to Erik since his artifacts don't seem too powerful, but it's up to you."

"Thanks for the mead."

Erik shows the two notebook entries to the rest of the party.

"Also, I heard the orange lady and the guy who was at the bar got in a fight. Probably isn't relevant though- I believe it was just Mr Dreadlocks being a bit of a womaniser."

"Erik, you may as well keep the Twin Axe for now as well, since none of the rest of us can use it. Inspect it carefully to see if it appears to have been used recently. Again asking, who would like the Mulled Wine? Would anyone refuse it if were offered them?"

I read through the notebook entries.

Hmm, it seems like our victim was in the middle of a Shadeaux and Hinckwell confrontation. Likely enough that has something to do with the murder, but possibly not."

I turn to Sofia, "What kind of business was Rorik involved in? What did he trade? I suppose you did not attend his business meetings, did you?"

"Druid, since you will the healer among us due to the extraordinary talent of doing so in your field, I would advise that perhaps you give that hide to Erik. You can then use my Robe of the Archmagi to protect you from being sealed. What say you? Also, if you'll be using those scrolls, perhaps you should equip those glasses of yours and hand the hood to Erik since his artifacts don't seem too powerful, but it's up to you."

"Capital idea." stated Sylph looking up from the wound. "It's a clean, deep cut. Probably slicing. Started at the Right, shallower at the left. I'd say dagger, but I could be wrong. We're looking for a blade though, or something similar. It's not the ax. I like your plan. I was thinking of loosing this hide. It's best in the hands of a heavy hitter. If you give me your robe, I'll give Erik my hood too. You might ask him for his current armour in its place. As a paladin, you'll be doing more hitting than healing. That's my specialty." chuckled Sylph softly.

Sylph handed Erik his Hide and Hood, and accepted Pretzel's Robe of the Archmage. He slid it on, feeling the power of the robe. "Ah. This is quite suitable. I may have to aquire one. You seem well endowed in terms of equiptment yourself. Perhaps you can wear your tricorn hat to make-up for the loss of this robe?" Sylph equipped his goggles. Hearing the contents of the letters, Sylph grew contemplative. "Lovely. Politics. Well, this is interesting. It would appear that his last meeting was with the Hinckwells, so that may have something to do with his death... That may be a good place to start investigating... Let's see. I'm going to check the window. That seems to me the second best way to get into this room." Sylph walked over to the window and attempted to discern whether it could function as an entrance to the room.

Edited by Dannylonglegs

I turn to Sofia, "What kind of business was Rorik involved in? What did he trade? I suppose you did not attend his business meetings, did you?"

8742461935_848c6bf4c7_t.jpg

"Lots of generic goods, like clothes and food. I attended a few of his meetings, but usually only to watch and learn."

"Let's see. I'm going to check the window. That seems to me the second best way to get into this room." Sylph walked over to the window and attempted to discern whether it could function as an entrance to the room.

Sylph examines the window. The windowsill juts out towards the street, and is made of stone. There doesn't appear to be any way to climb up to it or down from it, but the building across the street is fairly tall, though it would take a very skilled acrobat to make the jump. He takes sudden notice of a scrap of deep blue fabric caught in a loose stone in the windowsill.

"BOO", Nessa said as she looked under the pillows.

Nessa finds nothing but a ragged cut underneath the pillow.

"Thanks for the mead."

Erik shows the two notebook entries to the rest of the party.

"Also, I heard the orange lady and the guy who was at the bar got in a fight. Probably isn't relevant though- I believe it was just Mr Dreadlocks being a bit of a womaniser."

"His name is Natnail. He's a mercenary. Says he's defeated a hero before. He's not 'on the job' right now, but he indicated he may be doing other things. I gave him a bottle of rum at the bar just now, masquarading as an amnesiac. THere's truly a surpising number of them, wouldn't you say"

Sylph noticed the fabric.

"Blue fabric. I think we may be looking for an acrobatic killer."

Sylph went to inspect the toppled table.

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Sylph went to inspect the toppled table.

There's a smear of blood along the edge of the table, and one of its legs has snapped off.

Sylph checked to see what the 'wooden' item near the corpse's arm was. After doing that, he searched under the covers for anything strange.

Sylph checked to see what the 'wooden' item near the corpse's arm was. After doing that, he searched under the covers for anything strange.

The wooden item seemed to be a torch that fell from the table. He found nothing under the bed's covers.

"Perhaps our acrobatic killer is not that skilled. It could be his... or her blood on the table. The wound of Rorik must have killed him at once. So he hadn't a chance to smash the table. Wait a minute." Nessa searched the corpse for any other wounds than the obvious one.

"Hmm. Nothing." mumbled Sylph. He tried to discern when the torch was last lit. He then inspected the body again, checking for posessions or the like. "Monk Pretzel, I think the Black Knight should get the mulled wine. He'll get the most milage from it. Also, when we fight, keep him in front of me, so that we get the most from his wounds."

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Nessa searched the corpse for any other wounds than the obvious one.

Nessa found some of Rorik's ribs seemed to be cracked.

He tried to discern when the torch was last lit. He then inspected the body again, checking for posessions or the like. "Monk Pretzel, I think the Black Knight should get the mulled wine. He'll get the most milage from it."

The torch isn't warm at all, so it hasn't been lit for a while. He can find no possessions on Rorik.

"Did you find any other wounds, Nessa?" asked Sylph, standing up from the body and looking around the room for anything they might have missed.