Sign in to follow this  
CMP

Heroica RPG - Quest #69: The Hook on the Other Hand

Once the bards song ends, Erik interrupts. "What wonderful music, Sir! Very Inspiring! I'll just warn you now, our conversation may be interrupted, as I'll have to leave as soon as a companion of mine arrives. But how profitable is it, playing music here? Might be dangerous, too, I suppose, with the shady sorts of characters around this area?"

Once the bards song ends, Erik interrupts. "What wonderful music, Sir! Very Inspiring! I'll just warn you now, our conversation may be interrupted, as I'll have to leave as soon as a companion of mine arrives. But how profitable is it, playing music here? Might be dangerous, too, I suppose, with the shady sorts of characters around this area?"

The bard sighs once he's done playing.

8742462197_a64930c7ae_t.jpg

"Not very profitable, unfortunately. I just don't think people appreciate my music as much as you. And yes, it can get more violent than you might think."

He looked left and right, nodding towards the unsavory man Sylph was speaking to and the orange woman in succession, lowering his voice to a whisper.

"Those two got into a fight that almost leveled the bar the other day!"

Dreyrugr shrugged. Surely there was something to find out before we even see the scene of the crime. Stuiped early morning, I can't think. Maybe I'm rushing it too much. Guess I'll talk around before that annoying monk arrives.

Dreyrugr walks over to the one who looked like a mercenary and the orange being. Dreyrugr took the usual monotone out of his voice and added expression to his face. "Hello there, do tell has anything interesting happened recently? I'm a writer and I'm looking for interesting events to base my stories on and I thought this would be just the place. Anything that made an impression in your mind."

I arrive at the inn fashionably late. I approach our employer.

"Greetings my lady. It seems I'm not the first one here." I nod towards Sylph and Erik. "So quite a troublesome business, eh? Was your mentor slain in this very inn? Are all these folk here regulars?"

I look towards the left side of the room.

"I wonder if good fortune may be on our side. Three suspicious individuals holding low conversation together. One of them appears to be a vampire as well. Where did you say your mentor was cut? In the neck possibly? Could it have looked like a bite more than a slice? That's how vampires kill their prey."

I spy Sylph by the bar.

"Greetings once again, Druid, I see you have gotten here before me. I'd watch out for these drinks if I were you. Don't know what they could carry in an unsavory place such as this. I don't believe you have told me your name, and if you did I must have forgotten it. I see Erik over there by the bard. Have any of the others arrived? I believe we were supposed to be a party of five in all."

The weremutt handed over a sealed bottle of Rum to Sylph, scooping up the 7 coins as well as the single coin as a tip.

8743579058_47937cee2d_t.jpg

"Thankssir," he growled.

8742461975_df80a3ba03_t.jpg

"Don't think so, unless ye' got a lady under that armor with ye'," the man slurred.

Sylph accepted the bottle.

"No. I know I've seen you before." Stated Sylph as if trying hard to remember something. "You see, I recently lost most of my long term memory in a freak shipping accident. I'm trying to make sense of my past now, and it's hard. Not to mention, my face was completely disfigured." Sylph stated naturally with the gruff male voice. "Rum?" he offered, gesturing to the bottle he recently acquired. "Where do you work? What's your name?"

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Nessa left Sofia and approached the solitary girl behind the bagpiper. "Hello, you. My name is Nessa and I come from Heroica. What are you doing here apart from sitting?"

OOC: I like the Pie'd way of stats :sweet: although I miss the plain power but who cares :wink:

Edited by herrJJ

Dreyrugr walks over to the one who looked like a mercenary and the orange being. Dreyrugr took the usual monotone out of his voice and added expression to his face. "Hello there, do tell has anything interesting happened recently? I'm a writer and I'm looking for interesting events to base my stories on and I thought this would be just the place. Anything that made an impression in your mind."

The mercenary turned his head slowly towards Dreyrugr. What at first seemed some sort of mask actually seemed to comprise his head naturally, covered in blood red scales of some sort.

8742461929_981dfe702c_t.jpg

"A writer...really," he stated in a cool, monotone voice. "You seem a surprisingly well-armed writer, then, my friend."

8743578912_55a6809fb6_t.jpg

"HAH! Do not try and fool me aglhrghn, anyone with half a wit can figure out you're not. What is it, then? Assassin? Sellsword?" accused the strange orange being, her voice loud and gurgling.

8742461929_981dfe702c_t.jpg

"Hero...?" suggested the strange mercenary, quietly and astutely.

"Sounds nasty!"Erik said sympathetically. "Any idea what it was about?"

8742462197_a64930c7ae_t.jpg

"You didn't hear it from me, friend, but the one at the bar isn't the most reputable fellow when it comes to the ladies. I can only assume what he said, but when all was said and done....well, that gap in the wall behind the counter speaks for itself. It was a window before that fight happened, you know. I'm Boris, by the way, Boris Brottin."

"Greetings my lady. It seems I'm not the first one here." I nod towards Sylph and Erik. "So quite a troublesome business, eh? Was your mentor slain in this very inn? Are all these folk here regulars?"

8742461935_848c6bf4c7_t.jpg

"Yes, right in his room upstairs...I'm afraid I don't pay much attention to the bar patrons, but I'm sure the bartender does, if you want to find out."

"I wonder if good fortune may be on our side. Three suspicious individuals holding low conversation together. One of them appears to be a vampire as well. Where did you say your mentor was cut? In the neck possibly? Could it have looked like a bite more than a slice? That's how vampires kill their prey."

Sofia blinks, and raises her eyebrow.

"I can't speak for the other two, but the vampire is actually in your party...his name is Dreyrugr, I believe."

"No. I know I've seen you before." Stated Sylph as if trying hard to remember something. "You see, I recently lost most of my long term memory in a freak shipping accident. I'm trying to make sense of my past now, and it's hard. Not to mention, my face was completely disfigured." Sylph stated naturally with the gruff male voice. "Rum?" he offered, gesturing to the bottle he recently acquired. "Where do you work? What's your name?"

" 'Fraid I don't recall," remarked the man, snatching the rum without a second thought and downing it. "Name's Natnail, best damn sellsword in Eubric, and don't ye' forget it."

Nessa left Sofia and approached the solitary girl behind the bagpiper. "Hello, you. My name is Nessa and I come from Heroica. What are you doing here apart from sitting?"

The hooded girl looked up at Nessa. She looked fairly young considering she was alone in a bar.

8742462111_1c63507064_t.jpg

"Nothing much. You?"

Edited by CallMePie

" 'Fraid I don't recall," remarked the man, snatching the rum without a second thought and downing it. "Name's Natnail, best damn sellsword in Eubric, and don't ye' forget it."

"I'm Ambro... I was a low-caliber sellsword myself... 'till I took a hook to the head... I thought I'd seen you before. What's a well-known merc like yourself doing in a bar like this?"

Edited by Dannylonglegs

"I'm Ambro... I was a low-caliber sellsword myself... 'till I took a hook to the head... I thought I'd seen you before. What a well-known merc likeyourself doing in a bar like this?"

"Been here as long as I can remember. Drinks, women, barfights. Everythin' I need."

"Been here as long as I can remember. Drinks, women, barfights. Everythin' I need."

Sylph grunted slightly, and rubbed his helmet. "Business must be good then? Drinks, women... all the things money can buy? What's the secret to your success?"

"Yes, right in his room upstairs...I'm afraid I don't pay much attention to the bar patrons, but I'm sure the bartender does, if you want to find out."

"I can't speak for the other two, but the vampire is actually in your party...his name is Dreyrugr, I believe."

"Of course he is," I growl a little under my breath.

I should have known. :wall:This is already looking like it will be more of a problem than my last time leading a party.

"So, your mentor was a merchant of some kind? Did he live here in Eubric or was he only here on a business trip? Where did you meet him originally, and how long have you been working with him?"

I scan the area. Not any of the people around me look like people I would like to converse with. The bard seemed decent enough, but Erik seemed to be managing him well.

"This place doesn't seem of the highest repute. I would assume that your mentor was relatively wealthy, why did he choose to dwell in such a place as this?"

The hooded girl looked up at Nessa. She looked fairly young considering she was alone in a bar.

"Nothing much. You?"

"Why so mysterious? Fine then, as I told you I am a quite famous hero from Heroica *cough* and I am here to solve the riddle of a murder! You don't happen to know anything about it, do you? Since when are you here in the inn? I hope you understand why I have to know what you've been doing in the last time. By the way how old are you? Shouldn't you be with somebody in your age?" She was self-confident. Perhaps a little bit too much. 'Nessa, you are doing it again!'

Edited by herrJJ

"Good to meet you, Boris. I'm Erik Tyrvarr." Glancing around the room, Erik noticed Monk Pretzel had arrived.

He'd seen Sylph in the hall, and the vampire and ranger he'd seen talking to Sofia. That probably meant everyone was here.

Erik excused himself and headed for the stairs, though only going far enough to be out of sight from the rest of the bar's patrons. He waited patiently for the rest of the heroes to wrap up their conversations and head up as well.

Sylph grunted slightly, and rubbed his helmet. "Business must be good then? Drinks, women... all the things money can buy? What's the secret to your success?"

"Secret to my success is bein' the toughest guy on the block. Word gets around when ye' can put down a hero without anythin' more than a sword and a drink, haha."

"So, your mentor was a merchant of some kind? Did he live here in Eubric or was he only here on a business trip? Where did you meet him originally, and how long have you been working with him?"

I scan the area. Not any of the people around me look like people I would like to converse with. The bard seemed decent enough, but Erik seemed to be managing him well.

"This place doesn't seem of the highest repute. I would assume that your mentor was relatively wealthy, why did he choose to dwell in such a place as this?"

"Yes, he was a merchant, his name was Rorik. He operated out of Vartland, we were only here on a business trip. We met around a decade ago. I was barely out of my teens and working in one of the taverns in one of the ports...not such a promising future. We struck up a conversation about the prices of mead, and I guess he saw my talent at figuring out how economics worked, because next thing I knew, he was dragging my around the entire continent to show me how the business worked. Just about anything of value I've done I owe to him..."

She sighs, staring at a wall for a few moments, deep in thought, before turning back to Pretzel.

"He didn't like to flaunt his wealth. I don't know if it was being a norseman or just how he was. He preferred a good, strong ale over any of the luxuries a more expensive inn could offer."

"Why so mysterious? Fine then, as I told you I am a quite famous hero from Heroica *cough* and I am here to solve the riddle of a murder! You don't happen to know anything about it, do you? Since when are you here in the inn? I hope you understand why I have to know what you've been doing in the last time. By the way how old are you? Shouldn't you be with somebody in your age?" She was self-confident. Perhaps a little bit too much. 'Nessa, you are doing it again!'

The girl crossed her arms, looking either indignant or annoyed.

"I've never heard of you. I don't know nothing about any murders, and the only reason I'm here is to get off the streets for a while. My age is no concern of yours, either. You're an elf, you're probably, what, a couple thousand years old?" snapped the girl.

"Secret to my success is bein' the toughest guy on the block. Word gets around when ye' can put down a hero without anythin' more than a sword and a drink, haha."

"Huh." Stated Sylph, sounding impressed. "You took down one of those Heroica sellswords. Not bad. How's business been recently? Are you on a job right now?"

"Huh." Stated Sylph, sounding impressed. "You took down one of those Heroica sellswords. Not bad. How's business been recently? Are you on a job right now?"

"Business is fine, but do it look like I'm on a job? Naw, I've got more important things to do...Quillius! Another rum!" he shouted to the bartender, who growled but complied.

"Business is fine, but do it look like I'm on a job? Naw, I've got more important things to do...Quillius! Another rum!" he shouted to the bartender, who growled but complied.

"Oh really?" Stated Sylph, surprised. "What could be more important than getting payed?"

Sofia notes that Erik was waiting by the stairwell.

"Indeed, I suppose we should get on with this investigation....you can of course all come back down afterward to speak with the patrons when you're done, but could we head up there?"

"Oh really?" Stated Sylph, surprised. "What could be more important than getting payed?"

Natnail just took a deep swig of the bottle that was handed to him in response.

"Actually I am..." Nessa waited with her answer. "I am sorry if I insulted you. I did not meant to do so. Calm down, young lad. What is your name? I don't want to bring you into trouble. I just want to find a murderer. Could you please help me finding him? I will give you some time now to think about what I have said." Nessa turned around and headed towards the stairs tossing one gold into the tip glass of the bagpiper as she passed.

Edited by herrJJ

Sofia notes that Erik was waiting by the stairwell.

"Indeed, I suppose we should get on with this investigation....you can of course all come back down afterward to speak with the patrons when you're done, but could we head up there?"

Natnail just took a deep swig of the bottle that was handed to him in response.

Sylph, seeing he wouldn't get much more out of the man at the moment, stepped off the stool. "Well, Natnail, I'm going to go to my room now. It's been a pleasure." He walked over to the stairs and walked up out of the sellsword's line of sight, waiting for the heros at the top, making no indication he was involved with the crew forming at the base of the stairs.

Edited by Dannylonglegs

"Well, I suppose we should be on our way up then."

"Actually I am..." Nessa waited with her answer. "I am sorry if I insulted you. I did not meant to do so. Calm down, young lad. What is your name? I don't want to bring you into trouble. I just want to find a murderer. Could you please help me finding him? I will give you some time now to think about what I have said." Nessa turned around and headed towards the stairs tossing one gold into the tip glass of the bagpiper as she passed.

"Young lad?! You raggedy old point-ears...go find your own murderer!"

She stood up, purposefully bumping into Nessa as she left the bar.

Monk Pretzel then lead the heroes into the inn as Sofia showed them the way upstairs. She arrives at a room down the hall, and unlocks it, pushing the door open and averting her eyes from the scene inside.

8810075562_1776462c88_c.jpg

"...H-Here we are."

Edited by CallMePie

"Huh." managed Sylph, puzzling over the scene. "So, that Ax looks like it could be the murder weapon. I suppose we should investigate that and the body. Also, it seems the window is open. Curious."

Sylph walked over to the body and inspected it.