ZCerberus

PLEASE wander OUT of the subforum!

I yelled at the History people for being scared to come in here and comment on all the MOCs, but it seems we are almost as bad about not wandering OUT of the subforum to comment on MOCs in the history forum at large. Maybe if we have posts out there with cool MOCs in our signature linking back to the Guilds they will click a picture every now and and again and FINALLY wander in here to see the wonder that is Historica.

I know it seems like it is 90% LotR out there, but we have the best MOC experts in here now, so let's head out there and spread the knowledge! Pretty please? Pretty, pretty please!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: fair point Z!

There are quite a lot of awesome LCC Mocs being posted in the main history forum now too

:classic:

Can we get one of you photoshop wizards to get a Guilds of Historica banner... a small one... to put in some signature to promote the subforum? Like the red vs blue ones in the pirates forum, but maybe half the length?

Good point Z :laugh: I try and stay active there as well, but have slacked a bit in the recent weeks :sadnew:

I try to browse through and comment a bit in the "historic themes" forum sometimes, but alas it is hard enough to keep up with the subforum...

I actually like the GoH banner Eccs designed, why not use that?

BTW, thanks for opening the other thread in the main forum in the first place, I suppose it did bring us some new members ...

As for commenting out there, sure that man, the non Lotr mocs do deserve more comments!

Banner wise, how come we don't have a custom banner for the Historica subform itself? We should have a banner that's got four sections which represent the look of each guild. Like the Mafia form has a banner, and it's Heroica subform has it's own unique banner. A bit off topic, but I think we should make our own subform banner.

Actually, I was planning to put my latest ship on display at my local LEGO dealer's. So maybe adding some sort of official display to the moc would be kinda cool

A banner would certainly be nice! And as far as wandering out of the subform, I usually navigate by the Active Topics... when go anywhere other than GoH (or my notifications for the major product threads that I'm interested in). It's true I don't comment to much in the Historical form, maybe I should look around there a bit more...

There are quite a lot of awesome LCC Mocs being posted in the main history forum now too

I totally agree to that :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: fair point Z!

:classic:

If I see its a LCC Moc, I do not comment for sure unless of course you are an active GoH member as well :tongue:

@ZC: Would it be ok to repost the Ch VI MOCs in separate threads in the main forum to draw some more attention here, or would it be to spam a bit too much?

If it is ok, it would be possible then to include more pictures per MOC as well :classic:

Well I already sort of did that. I think the mods would view yet another thread as just spam, even if it came from me.

I think when the next chapter begins we need to be more focused and see if we can bring in more History members.

I think the best way to do that is have a conflict centered on a single guild so new members can get in without needing to "catch-up". As cool as it is that our lands are already developed, it could be a fresh enough start to get new members.

I think the best way to do that is have a conflict centered on a single guild so new members can get in without needing to "catch-up". As cool as it is that our lands are already developed, it could be a fresh enough start to get new members.

I'm not sure I am following correctly. A single new guild? or as in there is a civil war brewing in Avalonia kind of conflict, where everyone has to take sides?

Or do you just mean a completely new badguy / conflict so that new people do not have to catch up on the Victor saga if they don't want to?

All guilds would still exist, but the conflict would center on just one guild and the story would not be one where the history of everything that occured before would be needed to partake.

I don't want to say "civil war" since that was somewhat specific to my CH VI story entry, and the story voting has not yet commenced.

As for the mechanics of how someone "takes a side"... well that is something we're still discussing.

Allow me to chime in. The entire reason why I rarely even skim through the normal History forum is because I cannot find anything but LOTR (keep in mind that I have nothing against the actual movies and books). Because of the sheer excess of MOCs and opinions, it is hard for me to find an excellent MOC in there (unless the user who posted the MOC has a very well known name. i.e. Mark of Falworth).

Remind me again, why isn't LOTR in Licensed Themes?

Edited by Penkid11

Remind me again, why isn't LOTR in Licensed Themes?

Good point, I've actually wondered myself how LotR is "history"...but then again I suppose it is as much "history" as the fictive land of Historica :wink:

I also think the number of MOCs and comments in the forum makes it hard to keep up...and more often than not I find myself disappointed by promising titles only to see cellphone quality pictures of some minifigs.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is excellent that even young builders and/or builders with small collections can post and get feedback and improve...it's just hard for me to feel enthusiastic about browsing the threads out there compared to in here where most threads live up to or exceed my expectations :classic:

Well at the time LotR first came about, it seemed like it would be replacing castle, at least for a time. That clearly was not entirely true.

The Pirates forum, for example, had PotC because it was also viewed as a "replacement" for pirates.

There was a time when I thought history would also be getting Lone Ranger as a replacement for Wild West, but the licensed guys wanted it.

I have tried to get LotR segregated from History in various ways, but to no avail. I also tried various methods of trying to get more traffic in here from History and for us to travel into the history forum at large, but those have also been shot down.

I think at this point those are all dead issues and I am not going to be able to get anything through.

All guilds would still exist, but the conflict would center on just one guild and the story would not be one where the history of everything that occured before would be needed to partake.

I don't want to say "civil war" since that was somewhat specific to my CH VI story entry, and the story voting has not yet commenced.

As for the mechanics of how someone "takes a side"... well that is something we're still discussing.

Yes I would agree that that is a good way to approach it, at least make it "clean" enough that newcomers don't need to take History of Historica 101. (hmmmm.... sounds like a good post...)

However, since you are in the loop, who all is running the show next chapter? With guild-leaders missing in action most of the time, would it not be best to bring in a few others? Is there anybody representing Kaliphlin or Nocturnus? Not saying you all don't have it handled, but I have always felt that this project is a little big for four/five people to run. That is why I suggested assistant leaders in my proposed constitution for the project. I agree there needs to be a little secrecy in how things are scored and what not, but it would be nice to know who is pulling the strings :classic:

Well at the time LotR first came about, it seemed like it would be replacing castle, at least for a time. That clearly was not entirely true.

The Pirates forum, for example, had PotC because it was also viewed as a "replacement" for pirates.

There was a time when I thought history would also be getting Lone Ranger as a replacement for Wild West, but the licensed guys wanted it.

I have tried to get LotR segregated from History in various ways, but to no avail. I also tried various methods of trying to get more traffic in here from History and for us to travel into the history forum at large, but those have also been shot down.

I think at this point those are all dead issues and I am not going to be able to get anything through.

I think we definitely need to thank you for your promotion efforts ZC. It definitely seems frustrating, and we are glad we have you.

It seems that GoH gets quite a few views. Not sure how much of it is repetitive viewing though. Now that Z has the "Please wander into the subforums" post stikied, I think pretty much everything has been done that can be done to promote GoH. Its now just a matter of time. And perseverence. It usually takes a good two years for any project to really take off and now that the challenges are over and people begin to realize that this thing is here for good, I think we will be getting more interest.

Also the LoTR thing in the Historic forum may work out to our advantage as generic castle fans may get tired of the mass of LoTR mocs and move over here once they realize what GoH is. I do agree with Z however that we do need to post in the other forums more often. I actually was thinking about how worthless my banner is as I hardly ever post outside of GoH. :blush: I just really don't have enough motivation and time to be stalking the other forums other than new products which often times is easier to find on Brickset.

can we not add some sort of subtitle to the link towards this forum so people do not confuse it anymore?

Not that I could... But what would you recommend the subforum be called or subtitled?

well I don't know yet, but I thought of this because the "pirate mocs" subforum also has a subtitle and so does the "wattoos junkyard" one. So maybe something like this: "post your historic mocs in a truely fantastic world" or "taking historic mocing to the next level". I really think we should advertise the idea of how much you can gain as a builder by joining the guilds, which actually is a proven fact

Edited by kabel

I'm wandering into the history forum now and than, but I can imagine it's hard to comment on yet another lotr-moc. So it's a bit frustrated that it took over the forum and that it isn't getting a sub-forum. On the other hand indeed a great opportunity to guide the history moccers towards the guilds. The problem is that not everyone likes to build in/for a community.

And about the banner, feel free to use mine. But if someone could make a prettier one that be nice too!

Not that I could... But what would you recommend the subforum be called or subtitled?

Guilds of Historica: Moccer's playground.