commanderneyo

Star Wars Rebels

Total aside but still on the theme of rebels. I hope hasbro releases the rest of the crew for the Black Series during this last season. I need me my PVC versions of these characters! 

Also LEGO better get on the ball about getting us a Zeb and an updated Ezra >.> A Rebel Kallus would also roxxorz. 

The Black Series Thrawn and Tarkin look amazing! Technically Tarkin counts since he pops up in Rebels so much :tongue:Lego still needs to give us a Thrawn with a correct rank insignia.

Timothy Zahn has said he really wants to essentially write a new Thrawn Trilogy and he has a lot of the story conceptualized so im desperately hoping they dont kill off Thrawn in Rebels. 

Finally! Lots of good things here:

Spoiler

Krennic and Stadust get name drops! Interesting to see if they'll actually feature in it.

There seems to be a hint Ezra might turn to the Dark Side, it will certainly be an interesting season if he does.

On 16/04/2017 at 4:08 AM, Forresto said:

How are they going to set up Rukh's motivations in a season, flesh him out, and portray his betrayal of Thrawn. I dont know if I entirely buy that he will kill Thrawn in this timeline and in fact I hope he doesnt. It would be far more interesting if he was put in as a red herring to build tension and in the end something else defeats Thrawn.

Killing Thrawn in Rebels would be an abbysmal decision, especially financially.

Disney knows how much that character draws attention, and killing him in Rebels, a series that had a very limited success, that would be idiotic. 

Who knows what Thrawn was doing else during the galactic civil war now that the old EU is dead, both the galaxy and the Empire were very vast. 

On 9/3/2017 at 8:13 AM, RetroInferno said:

Killing Thrawn in Rebels would be an abbysmal decision, especially financially.

Disney knows how much that character draws attention, and killing him in Rebels, a series that had a very limited success, that would be idiotic. 

Who knows what Thrawn was doing else during the galactic civil war now that the old EU is dead, both the galaxy and the Empire were very vast. 

I keep hoping that if ever they make an in-between series for EPVI and VII that Thrawn features heavily in the formation of the First Order. 

The only thing that will keep Thrawn in the game this season is the fact that Timothy Zahn wants to write a new trilogy of books. Otherwise I don't think he would be long for this world through season 4.

I really hope he does not die in Rebels. I honestly hope his fate is a mystery and later shows up for the creation of the First Order or even going back to the Chiss ascendancy.

After having read the new Thrawn book a few months ago, I agree I'd love to see the character last as long as reasonably possible. I enjoy Rebels, but lets be honest it has only been a decent showing for Thrawn with a few blunders which seem almost out of character for him happening in a few episodes. He really needs to be explored more by Timothy Zahn, who knows how to handle the character while nuancing him into the new canon.

Another thing I have thought about. A lot of people have criticized Rebels compared to the Clone Wars. Since I enjoy both series I have found I don't really agree with the idea that Clone Wars was inherently better than Rebels is (I am more of an OT fan than the Prequels so in a way Rebel's classic designs strike my nostalgia nerve stronger than the Prequel ones did...). I think though the two things Clone Wars did better was 1) Strong story arcs (the three to four episode plot arcs that felt like mini Star Wars movies), and 2) a broad cast (i.e. not every episode was an Anakin-ObiWan-Ashoka adventure, many of the episodes focused on side characters). In response to that first criticism, Rebels is a little bit more about the slow burn... Most seasons have one overarching theme (Season 2 was "Find a new base for Phoenix Squad", Season 3 was "Launch liberation of Lothal, avoid Thrawn."). Clone Wars never carried those arcs over a season, so it felt more like a collection of vignette stories; yet each mini-arc was stronger as a result because it didn't have to fit the constraints of the season's "theme". That is why I think many stand alone Rebels episodes feel a little flat, they are part of a larger season length arc which means they have to link into that somehow; yet also need to "fill" up time in the journey. Rebels really is better enjoyed as a long arc, binge watching a season from start to finish. The only Rebels season I have seen completely is Season 2, and I enjoyed it greatly because I first saw it on DVD allowing me to burn through the whole thing in a few days. Clone Wars never had an arc that lasted longer than 4 or 5 episodes, (although I think behind the scenes information suggests that they were going to experiment with longer stories such as what Rebels is now doing, with the canceled arc which became the novel Dark Disciple scripted out for like 7 or 8 episodes!)

As for the second thing, Rebels I think has limited itself by sticking so closely to the Ghost Crew. There is a very interesting cast of side characters in the show, but the way Ezra and Co. get featured every episode kind of forces it to be written around them. I don't hate Ezra like some people on this forum do, but I get sick of seeing him almost every episode. I prefer episodes which break up the Ghost Crew a bit, i.e. a "Hera episode" or a "Kanan and Rex episode" almost more than I enjoy seeing the whole cast together. I wish the show had more time to mature and focus on other side characters. A solid episode focused on Maul  before his death would have been great, and I wish we could see more episodes focused on the other side characters. It is no wonder "Through Imperial Eyes" with Kallus was one of the most praised aspects of Season 3, since it was a full on focus on a side character which has not really been fully done since The Clone Wars.

To be honest, I think the tone of the series of what the crew was trying to make is very different from The Clone Wars, which is part of why some old Clone Wars fans rag on Rebels so much. Rebels IS supposed to be different, I don't think Lucasfilm wanted to control-c Clone Wars into the OT era, but instead take some of the best of Clone Wars and modify it with different story telling methods. I am very excited to hear what Lucasfilm Animation will announce after Rebels ends. Hopefully the next big series combines the best aspects of Rebels and Clone Wars into something very special.

I will start with a positive. I love the art style of rebels, the characters are all fantastic, and the voice acting is superb. Rebels has also created some of the coolest moments in SW and there are episodes that are really fantastic such as Through Imperial Eyes, any of the Maul episodes, or any episode dealing with the force. However those moments and episodes are in a lot of murk.

Rebels and even the Clone Wars (Although Rebels is far more guilty) committed a cardinal sin of writing and tried to elevate the skills of the heroes by making the antagonists unusually inept or dumb whilst still trying to elevate them as the ultimate enemy. The Empire in Rebels was never handled well outside of Thrawn, Tarkin, Yularen, and Vader. Every episode i'm rooting for the Empire because they, not the Rebels, seem like the real underdog of the show. I should not have been anxious a whole season that Thrawn was going to lose or die because of BS contrivances, thats not drama. 

Its bad enough the Ghost Crew had two people with the ability to use the force but they had to make Hera and Sabine godlike killing machines as well? The Ghost Crew are all fantastic interesting characters made boring because they just seem to mow through opposition with barely any effort. I know they get their butts kicked more then I let on but it doesnt feel like it most times. Its the superman effect, I find superman to be one of the most boring characters written because he's just so uber powerful. 

Edited by Forresto

It bothers me that there are just wolves. Just wolves. Yeah, they're big. But they're still just wolves.

Star Wars doesn't really show us Earth-like creatures. There's birds that are usually too small to make the details out of. There's references. But everything is pretty alien.

The Rebels is like "lets do Dire Wolves from Game of Thrones. YEAH! Wolves are COOL!"

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Star_Wars_Rebels_Fourth_And_Final_Season_Schedule_Changes_175848.asp

Well I think this is a sign that the powers at be what the series done and over with. It really is a shame. Look I have my complaints about the show but I really do enjoy it at the end of the day (as long as they don't kill Thrawn).

Here is my only confusion as to the story of this season. How are they going to liberate Mandalore and Lothal from the Empire without the Empire just coming in and slagging the surface clean? The Rebel fleet can't hold territory because its been confirmed that Scarif is the Rebellion's first victory.

Edited by Forresto

1 hour ago, Forresto said:

Here is my only confusion as to the story of this season. How are they going to liberate Mandalore and Lothal from the Empire without the Empire just coming in and slagging the surface clean? The Rebel fleet can't hold territory because its been confirmed that Scarif is the Rebellion's first victory.

What if neither side gain Lothal? So technically it wouldn't be a Rebellion or an Imperial Victory. Maybe the Rebels drive out the Imperials but sacrifice themselves and a lot of the fleet in the process. And the Lothal Population are free of Imperial control, but cannot rely on the rebellion to help them again and have to fend for themselves? 

So ina away, even though Lothal is free, the rebels can't protect them any more.

There is no scenario that makes sense with them being free.

The Empire at this point basically completely dominates the Rebels according to all other sources. It's canon that there's basically been no victories before this (Rebels already goes against this a lot...). If the Empire lost a planet it would just swarm it with it's far superior forces and install military rule completely. The Rebels are in no position during this time frame to free and hold any planet, or even make a draw happen. They can just continue being rebellious and at most make a planet costly to keep and destabilize the Empire there (though they'd still be in control).

But Rebels is stupid. I'm sure they'll do something stupid that makes no sense with previous canon. 

On 9/16/2017 at 6:25 PM, BrickG said:

There is no scenario that makes sense with them being free.

The Empire at this point basically completely dominates the Rebels according to all other sources. It's canon that there's basically been no victories before this (Rebels already goes against this a lot...). If the Empire lost a planet it would just swarm it with it's far superior forces and install military rule completely. The Rebels are in no position during this time frame to free and hold any planet, or even make a draw happen. They can just continue being rebellious and at most make a planet costly to keep and destabilize the Empire there (though they'd still be in control).

But Rebels is stupid. I'm sure they'll do something stupid that makes no sense with previous canon. 

But this has always happened with Star Wars side material. Legends was no better at keeping anything straight with the films and would often have material contradict other material. It is a huge shame that Disney did not stick to avoid these conundrums but it is also hard to make stand alone stories that have the protagonists lose all the way to the end >.> 

Spoiler

You really sure you wanna do that bub?

Spoiler

I warned ya

Spoiler
To be entirely honest I'am a little disappointed, I don't really know why it just felt predictable and a little outlandish like the clunkier than usual dialogue or Erza being trusted with a jet pack but especially the storm trooper armour adjustment not only had it been foreshadowed a bit too heavy-handedly but it made no sense what so ever and then Sabine just gave away the dark sabre -I thought that that was supposed to be building up to something, not to say it didn't have its high points with the unification of the clans and I mean who doesn't like Kanera. I just hope that it will get better as the season continues. Please don't get too riled up this is just my thoughts and opinions.

23 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:
  Hide contents

You really sure you wanna do that bub?

Hide contents

I warned ya

Hide contents
To be entirely honest I'am a little disappointed, I don't really know why it just felt predictable and a little outlandish like the clunkier than usual dialogue or Erza being trusted with a jet pack but especially the storm trooper armour adjustment not only had it been foreshadowed a bit too heavy-handedly but it made no sense what so ever and then Sabine just gave away the dark sabre -I thought that that was supposed to be building up to something, not to say it didn't have its high points with the unification of the clans and I mean who doesn't like Kanera. I just hope that it will get better as the season continues. Please don't get too riled up this is just my thoughts and opinions.

No I agree completely and I am a Rebels fan. These first two episodes this season were weak! I really hope it is not a sign of things to come. Specially since these first two really encapsulate a lot of the gripes people have had with this series all along. 1. Predictable plot. 2. Clumsily executed Rebel plan, that always works. 3. No consequences for anyone, really. 4. Flat characterization and left-field plot movement. 

Here is hoping it improves quickly. 

Although I loved seeing some Mandalore stuff, I have to agree with how predictable these first two episodes were. An odd, forced Kanera moment, but hey I'm content with the results of this episode

Spoiler

That being a Sabine without the burden of the Dark Saber, so she can stay with the Rebels, and Bo-Katan becoming Empire-less Mandalore's leader.

Now it's out of the way, we can focus on the Rebels as a hole again.

I didn't mind those episodes and I usually find most Mandalore stuff a bit dull and fan servicey. The action was top notch including the chase sequence in Episode 1 and the battles on the Star Destroyer in Episode 2. Sure it was entirely predictable and the Empire looked as useless as ever, but I think sometimes we forget that this is a kid's series.

On 18/10/2017 at 2:24 AM, TeufelHund said:

I didn't mind those episodes and I usually find most Mandalore stuff a bit dull and fan servicey. The action was top notch including the chase sequence in Episode 1 and the battles on the Star Destroyer in Episode 2. Sure it was entirely predictable and the Empire looked as useless as ever, but I think sometimes we forget that this is a kid's series.

Clone Wars managed to appeal to both kids and adults, and there's so much ''fan service'' for old time fans that's it's hard to believe Rebels is solely aiming at kids. 

I blame poor story telling and low budget.

And is there anything Sabine can't do? Weapon engineer, jedi, super soldier, mechanic, pilot, artist? It's such a bore...

I also watched the two episodes and bursted lauhging out loud at the conclusion, it's pathetic!

Edited by RetroInferno

"Ahhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhh!"

-Vocalization of my reaction to the first two episodes...

I usually give Rebels a lot of credit, half hour show aimed mostly at kids so expect broad strokes, but these episodes go way below Rebels level quality. It feels as if these episodes were necessary to close an arc but the writers didnt know how they wanted to finish it. Honestly I don't usually criticize writing on TV, it makes me feel real pompous, but the Rebels writers are extremely inconsistent. Either you get incredible Thrawn dialogue or you get Sabine Deus Ex. 

Also can they please stop destroying Star Destroyers? They start to diminish how powerful they are when they show them blown up so lamely.

4 hours ago, Forresto said:

Also can they please stop destroying Star Destroyers? They start to diminish how powerful they are when they show them blown up so lamely.

At least there was actually an explosion on board and Hera didn't do it remotely with radio waves...

Just now, TeufelHund said:

At least there was actually an explosion on board and Hera didn't do it remotely with radio waves...

I totally forgot about that! 

I also like how The AT-DP started trying to crush the mandalorians with their feets because their lasers are bound to do nothing. 

Something I'd also like to point out is how inconsistent mandalorian rockets are. Like at the beginning, the Imperials ''knock out'' Sabine and they surrender to the two AT-DP because they are suddenly a threat now; notice how the previous rockets in the battle only shook them. Now comes Bo-Katan and her two friends and BAM, both AT-DPs are taken out by a rocket.

Also jet-packs able to match speed with TIE fighters and being able to punch a TIE fighter hatch with a single punch :grin:

15 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

I totally forgot about that! 

I also like how The AT-DP started trying to crush the mandalorians with their feets because their lasers are bound to do nothing. 

Something I'd also like to point out is how inconsistent mandalorian rockets are. Like at the beginning, the Imperials ''knock out'' Sabine and they surrender to the two AT-DP because they are suddenly a threat now; notice how the previous rockets in the battle only shook them. Now comes Bo-Katan and her two friends and BAM, both AT-DPs are taken out by a rocket.

Also jet-packs able to match speed with TIE fighters and being able to punch a TIE fighter hatch with a single punch :grin:

Especially considering Mando rockets can pierce Imperial hulls such as the interdictor at the Battle of Atollon last season.

15 hours ago, TeufelHund said:

I must've selectively forgot about that...

Still I have a lot of hope for the next two episodes, especially with Saw Gerrera involved!

To me this episode was a lot better than the premiere, it was a lot less predictable and the ties to rogue one worked well.

17 hours ago, TeufelHund said:

That was only a modified Gozanti to be fair.

Ok so EP 3 and 4 are bringing it back around to connect to Rogue One, which is cool. 

It is a step up from the first two episodes, but not by much. They actually managed to make episodes with Saw feel like filler (; . ;)