commanderneyo

Star Wars Rebels

This is the Rebels thread, not the general Star Wars thread, but on the Knights of Ren:

I initially thought that the KoR were a group that Kylo joined. But that begs the question: who/ what is Ren? I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Kylo being the titular "Ren". This goes along nicely with Snoke calling Kylo the "master" of the KoR. And if they were some random dark side cult, then how did they fall under the banner of the First Order? They would have had to be brought in by Snoke, making Snoke the "master" of the KoR. Or maybe there could be a fusion of the "group he joined" and "his group" theories? Maybe when Ben was seduced by Snoke (that sounds so weird), Snoke was like, "Here's this preexisting dark side group that will follow you and even name themselves after you." But still, that's all just speculation. I'm open to all possibilities.

Today's episode was very interesting. So apparently the Empire wiped out all of the geonosians on geonosis. Very cool lizard animals in a ice moon. I wonder if this means geonosians are extinct or their are some on other planets.

Can I just say The Honourable Ones was one of, if not the best episode of Rebels to date?

I have always hated Kalus. He was always the shoe-in, wanna-be bad dude who plays by the book. They never developed him, and I never batted an eye for him.

Finally. Finally they gave him the chance to develop him, and I actually care about him now!

It took one measly episode to change my look on him. I can't say this episode was the best, but it certainly left a mark, and opened tons of doors for the story to go through in the future.

Kallus being my favorite Star Wars character (60% for the beard, 40% for Oyelowo's voice work :grin: ), I was really excited for this episode and it in no way was I disappointed. I thought the beginning was very good and the hints about what happened to the Geonosians (and their connection to the Death Star) was neat, especially as it was viewed through the eyes of characters who knew nothing of what actually happened (Kallus included). It really added a foreboding sense to the episode as the actual situation was way worse than the Ghost crew could ever imagine.

Everything with Zeb and Kallus was great, especially their conversations. I liked that Kallus' personality/attitude flip-flopped once he was out of his element and incredibly injured (those constant pain-screams were intense), which made him contrast with the surprisingly clam and level headed Zeb. Plus he kept the meteor at the end (although didn't ask for crutches which was weird). I'm not sure if this means Kallus is headed for redemption. I actually think I want him to retain his evilness, even if he does become a bit flakey about it.

In rebels recon the one guy said their would be a episode that they will venture more about what happened to the geonosians. I'm very interested about how the Empire could wipe out all of the geonosians.

Kallus suggested that the Geonosians aren't dead, but that they left. Not sure if it's what he wants to believe, or what actually happened.

I was really surprised that we got some slight redemption of Kallus' character, though.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Those SW fans who haven't given this show even a glance, decrying it as 'just a kids' show', have REALLY missed out.

This is the Rebels thread, not the general Star Wars thread, but on the Knights of Ren:

I initially thought that the KoR were a group that Kylo joined. But that begs the question: who/ what is Ren? I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Kylo being the titular "Ren". This goes along nicely with Snoke calling Kylo the "master" of the KoR. And if they were some random dark side cult, then how did they fall under the banner of the First Order? They would have had to be brought in by Snoke, making Snoke the "master" of the KoR. Or maybe there could be a fusion of the "group he joined" and "his group" theories? Maybe when Ben was seduced by Snoke (that sounds so weird), Snoke was like, "Here's this preexisting dark side group that will follow you and even name themselves after you." But still, that's all just speculation. I'm open to all possibilities.

Well, Snoke calls him "Master of the Knights of Ren" as in "a" Master, not "the" Master, just like a Jedi Master or a Sith Lord :wink: We don't know who or what the term "Ren" actually refers to, but it seems to be a title, just like "Darth" (except it's used as a last name, implying that the Knights of Ren might consider themselves a family of sorts). We also don't know how the Sith and the Knights of Ren are related (especially since Kylo is such a Vader-fanboy, it'd make more sense for him to want to become a Sith instead of joining a different dark side order, but I digress). Personally, I think the Knights of Ren might have a relation to the Inquisitors, given how they call themselves brothers and sisters (tying them to the aforementioned use of family-related terminology) and both groups consist of exactly seven members :wink:

B2T: The sterilisation of Geonosis has also been mentioned in one of the recent Darth Vader comics and apparently only one (infertile) Geonosian queen survived the whole ordeal, so I guess the Geonosians won't reappear any time soon. And I agree with the consens, the latest episode was one of the best the show had to offer thus far :thumbup:

Thats to imply the Geonosians were isolated to one planet which i doubt. Still this is a mjaor plot development. I love the Geonosians so im kindve sad to see them go but If they keep up these mature adult themes such as genocide I may give them a second chance and watch the show.

Edited by Forresto

Firstly, I am obviously in the minority because I found the last episode to be disappointing. I'm not sure if the trope has a name, but I've seen it more than I want to. I was all intrigued by this investigation into what happened on Geonosis, and instead I got lumped with a "misunderstood arch-enemy" bonding session for the rest of the show. Okay so it means that maybe Kallus is on a path to leaving the Imperials, or who knows, and that is interesting, but that doesn't make the episode itself interesting to me.

So what happened on Geonosis? Well we know they were involved in creating battle droids, designing the Death Star, and that Palpatine doesn't like non-humans. Maybe he wanted to wipe them out to keep them quiet, and because they were beyond their usefulness to him. We already see in Rebels that the Empire is pretty much human or nothing.

It sounds to me like the most interesting part of the episode was the Geonosis part and that was barely covered.

I also despise the idea of Kallus suddenly turning "good" and leaving the Empire. That would make it seem like noone in the empire thinks what their doing is good. Heck even the Nazis thought they were right and doing a good thing even if it was truly evil. Maybe seeing Zeb as an equal or respecting Zeb as another individual, a momentary glance into eachothers "humanity" but suddenly changing sides no I cant dig that at all.

Don't worry they said they will be going back to what happened on geonosis in another episode, most likely season 3.

I also despise the idea of Kallus suddenly turning "good" and leaving the Empire. That would make it seem like noone in the empire thinks what their doing is good. Heck even the Nazis thought they were right and doing a good thing even if it was truly evil. Maybe seeing Zeb as an equal or respecting Zeb as another individual, a momentary glance into eachothers "humanity" but suddenly changing sides no I cant dig that at all.

Did you even watch the episode, though? The 'idea' doesn't sound good on paper to me either, but a lot can be accomplished in a 20 minute show. You should watch the episode for yourself before making that decision.

Honestly, when I heard there was going to be a 'Zeb and Kallus stranded together' episode, I thought it would be obnoxious filler like those Void episodes in Clone Wars that I found so utterly useless. Indeed, this was a great episode and all of the emotions really worked. Perhaps some don't agree with the direction of Kallus' character, but they certainly sold it in the episode regardless.

Did you even watch the episode, though? The 'idea' doesn't sound good on paper to me either, but a lot can be accomplished in a 20 minute show. You should watch the episode for yourself before making that decision.

Honestly, when I heard there was going to be a 'Zeb and Kallus stranded together' episode, I thought it would be obnoxious filler like those Void episodes in Clone Wars that I found so utterly useless. Indeed, this was a great episode and all of the emotions really worked. Perhaps some don't agree with the direction of Kallus' character, but they certainly sold it in the episode regardless.

No I haven't but it's not that I have a problem with Kallus as a character turning good and changing sides, my problem with it is it's place in Star Wars as a whole. There are no shades of grey anymore. Your either evil and a part of the empire or good and apart of the rebels. Where are the moderates on both sides? Why can't he be an Imperial and still be a so called "good person"? Like Rommel (and yes I know he eventually tried to bring down the nazis but for Germany not the allies). Or a rebel whose a horrible person?

We've already had many characters who have completely flipped sides. It would be fascinating to have a character who had this internal conflict but still had loyalty to the Empire. A Javert type character for instance. I guess that was my point.

Edited by Forresto

I actually enjoyed the Void arc. But the rebels should have been more focused on finding a base by now instead of mentioning it. But after this weeks episode we finally see a finding a base episode arc. Edited by ChiefPie

Since Disney bought the rights for Star Wars, every piece that Disney produces (novels, comics, movies, tv series etc) belongs in a larger connected universe.

We find what happenned to Geonosis in the new Darth Vader comic from Marvel.

Long story short:

The empire sterilized the surface of the planet from all traces of life except one geonosian Queen.

Since Disney bought the rights for Star Wars, every piece that Disney produces (novels, comics, movies, tv series etc) belongs in a larger connected universe.

We find what happenned to Geonosis in the new Darth Vader comic from Marvel.

Long story short:

The empire sterilized the surface of the planet from all traces of life except one geonosian Queen.

I forgot about that! Yep, speculation over. :sceptic: I guess planet-wide genocide isn't the most appropriate subject for a kids' TV show, so it was kind of glossed over.

Edited by Junior Shark

I'll echo others here in saying that The Honourable Ones was a very good episode. I thought the dialogue was powerful and it'll be very interesting to see how Kallus reacts and his actions when he next encounters the Rebels.

One character I would really like to see pop up and encounter the group is Boba Fett. I hope they have plans for character in Season 3.

I heard the most recent episode involving the Jedi Temple Guards is supposed to be pretty good!

I heard the most recent episode involving the Jedi Temple Guards is supposed to be pretty good!

It's one if not the best yet in season 2!

It's one if not the best yet in season 2!

I totally agree, I watched it and wow! What an episode. I won't mention it quite yet in case people haven't seen it but this was an excellent episode. Lots of foreshadowing!

Indeed, aside from Yoda's appearance, "Shroud of Darkness" was a series highlight.

I saw it early and I must say, the scene with the Jedi Sentinels did not disappoint. I wasn't a fan of the Jedi Sentinel being who he was until I saw this episode, but suddenly everything fell in place. Amazingly, a guy on Youtube named Dash Star predicted the twist almost perfectly. It really brings closure to season 1 and makes you wonder if we'll ever see him again...

The scene with Ahsoka Tano finding out that Darth Vader really is Anakin Skywalker was a standout. It's good to see characters cry sometimes! And while Yoda's appearance has been the consternation of many fans, his prophetic words will have a profound impact on the last two episodes of this season.

On a side note, it's amusing to note that actual footage of Attack of the Clones was used in this episode. It was also interesting to see the Fifth Brother's reaction to the "Jedi Sentinel".

The next two episodes will be Chopper-based, but I get the feeling it'll connect to the ominously titled two-part season finale...

Much better episode. And now I need a temple guard minifig.

aside from Yoda's appearance

Do you mean his looks? If so, I am 1 milion percent with you there. He looked horribly non-Yoda.