xowainx

Review - 30167 Iron Man vs. Fighting Drone

Pre-Amble

This is my third review (after 76002 and 9525, and the size of set i'm reviewing gets smaller again. This is a fairly short review as there's only so much to say here, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. Please leave any feedback or questions and the end and i'll do my best to answer to them!

Review - 30167 - Iron Man vs. Fighting Drone

Name - Iron Man vs. Fighting Drone

Number - 30167

Year of Release - 2013

Parts - 23 (I hope)

Figures - 1

Prices - Free with purchases from Shop at Home/Lego Brand Stores with purchases of £25/$50 between May 16 and 31st 2013.

No official Lego Description i'm afraid.

Everyone loves polybags, and i'm no different. It was a tough call whether to open this polybag to review it for Eurobricks, or whether to hide it away in a shoe box with many other promotional sets, but luckily for you reader, my sense of duty won out.

3016701.jpg

Here it is in happier times though before I violated that seal at the top. The cover depicts Iron Man flying through the city while the fighting drone shoots its flick-fire missle at him. For those wondering, it's the larger size of polybag.

3016702.jpg

The contents of the bag was pretty underwhelming. I thought the drone looked a decent size in the picture so was expecting a little bit more than this. The instruction sheet is folded up to a tiny size, and Iron Man's helmet comes in a seperate bag.

3016704.jpg

One side of the instruction sheet shows the small amount of steps requrired to construct our man Tony and the drone.

3016703.jpg

While the back is a poster showing cartoon versions of all (or at least most) of the main characters featured in the Lego Marvel Super Heroes range. A nice touch compared to the usual advertising for more sets (although, this is form of indirect advertising I guess..)

3016705.jpg

Triangle Heart Iron Man was previously exclusive to 6867 (and indeed, the only exclusive figure in that set). Whether the Iron Man armour lego created is a good design or not has been discussed umpteen times, and i'm of the "happy with it, it looks better in person camp", and this hasn't changed for me.

3016706.jpg

Tony Stark's head, available in three other sets.

3016707.jpg

Backprint and Tony's alternate angry face.

3016708.jpg

Given that the entirety of the build instructions are shown a few pictures up, i've skipped to the completed set. As I said before, I found the size of the drone somewhat underwhelming, but to be fair I think it's a good looking design, with quite a lot of moving parts for a small build.

3016709.jpg

Underneath view, with the flick fire missile. As this runs down the middle of the drone, you need to use the saw blades to prop it up when it's standing by itself, but they do this more than adequately as there is no weight pushing on them.

3016710.jpg

Spares, including Iron Man's thruster emissions.

So, we're already nearing the end of the review.. I told you it would be quick!

Positives

- Iron Man figure was only in one set before this.

- Set was free.

- Drone looks good and has quite a few features.

Negatives

- A shame it's not an exclusive Iron Man suit variant, like the Iron Patriot polybag.

- The Fighting Drone is small.

Conclusion -

Minifigures 7/10 - I like the Iron Man design, and this suit marque is no exception. It's a shame it's not an exclusive variant though, as that would make this polybag so much more essential.

Build - 8/10 - Hard to knock down such a small set really, the build is over before you know it.

Design - 9/10 - I actually really like the drone, even if it is a bit small, but that's not the designer's fault.

Parts - 7/10 There aren't that many, and not much to say about them.

Playability - 8/10 - For a small set, it has a few features, and that's all you can expect really. Better than Hawkeye's weapons stand in that regard.

Overall 41/50

This was a free polybag, so it's unnecessary to critique it too hard. The only thing i'd say is, this felt more like one of the mass produced polybags from The Sun/Mirror promotions, than one of the limited promotional figure sets, so while it's a perfectly nice extra if you get it added to something you were already purchasing, I wouldn't spend hours searching the Lego Store for £25/$50 worth of sets you don't necessarily need in order to add it to your collection. But if you are like me, you will do that anyway, right? Enjoy!

"Minifigures 7/10 - I like the Iron Man design, and this suit marque is no exception. It's a shame it's not an exclusive variant though, as that would make this polybag so much more essential."

i agree! Thanks for the review, I didnt know these are available now.

Thanks for this review, xowainx. I hope to be able to get this set; it is a nice way to pick up an Iron Man for those of us who don't have one.

I took he opportunity and ordered Star Wars set #75012: BARC Speeder with Sidecar (Obi-Wan + Captain Rex). Iron Man in Mk. 6 Armour sure was an incentive for me to place it. With this one I get my 4th IM minifig.

But, like the author aptly points out, I too would much rather have Iron Patriot instead. Oh well... it's free, right? ;)

Edited by ZeCryptic

I am wondering if this will show up in stores next month. I mean, I plan on making a $50 purchase at the Lego store, so I'll get it anyway. (Actually, I'm getting a $49.99 set, so I need to get something else cheap to bump it over $50. Grr.) It's just that I've seen the last few Shop-exclusive polybags show up at Wal-Mart recently.

Can I get this with a coupon? I have a $5 off $35 deal that I'd like to use, but they always have that "not combined with any other offer" deal....

Update: Got my set today! Not only did the store let me combine it with my coupon, they said that a $49.99 purchase was good enough for the bag. I was all set to get a keychain to push myself over $50. :grin:

Edited by ResIpsaLoquitur

Ok I was so mad when I went to the Lego Store last Saturday(5-18). I got all of the Iron Man 3 sets and the price was a $66.42. I asked the clerk about this promotion and at 1st he said "Thats next month." But then I showed him the Lego Calendar and then he said "Oh, thats only available online....." So i went like "fine". So I went home and checked online. It said the promotion was happening at the Lego Store as well!!!! I was so mad!! A free Iron Man that i qualified for and I DIDNT GET IT!! That guy doesnt pay attention to the Calendar at all!! I just wanted that poly ever since i saw it online....... Idk if it too late to go back and get one. Or just email Lego about this small problem. But I just wanted that poly. Or I can get it some where else and pay money for it?

Ok I was so mad when I went to the Lego Store last Saturday(5-18). I got all of the Iron Man 3 sets and the price was a $66.42. I asked the clerk about this promotion and at 1st he said "Thats next month." But then I showed him the Lego Calendar and then he said "Oh, thats only available online....." So i went like "fine". So I went home and checked online. It said the promotion was happening at the Lego Store as well!!!! I was so mad!! A free Iron Man that i qualified for and I DIDNT GET IT!! That guy doesnt pay attention to the Calendar at all!! I just wanted that poly ever since i saw it online....... Idk if it too late to go back and get one. Or just email Lego about this small problem. But I just wanted that poly. Or I can get it some where else and pay money for it?

I'd go back and try to get it from a different clerk. When you make a purchase, the clerk should actually scan (and then discount) the free item. Go back with a printed store ad from the website and tell them you didn't get it.

I went to the new Lego Store brand new opening in San Antonio, Texas and since they were stocked with everything I was grabbing all the lego sets that I was missing(one thing I hate about Lego stores is that they have no shopping carts XD) So I am walking around with the Arkham Asylum, Quinjet, all the iron man 3 and man of steel sets and a White House set, and a Lego Helper comes up to me and tells me about their promotion which I knew what it was, but she told me they were out of stock since the store was balls to walls full by eleven in the morning(partly to do with the R2-D2 Help-Build thing going on around the corner) and the line to the cashier out the door, so after waiting with all those boxes in line for like 45 minutes and like 25 kids coming up to me and asking me who they were for, that they were going to be happy kids and what did I do to purchase them all questions, and having an old man with a VW Bug set asking me about the Lego Sets I am about to purchase, I finally come up to the register already ready for my "Lego" Store Opening T-shit which you get for purchases over 50 or more dollars, and the cashier pulls out of nowhere an Iron Man polybag to my amusement and I was like they told me they ran out of those, and then she goes on to say, well I think we found some boxes, and finally blurts out, well you are spending big here today so you deserve it!!!

Thanks! I have been to four lego stores(orlando, atlanta, new york and this one) and so far this is my new favorite, the only thing is that the crew is so new they have no clue when they stock up on items for their June releases.... I know in Atlanta Discovery Mall they had their stock two weeks before the actual release and the Orlando is like a mini LegoLand, but the one in New York although the biggest lego store I have been to, is also the one that barely had any legos at all since they sell out quick, plus they had a lot of pick a brick tanks around the store and I was mouth watering some of them because I need those bricks but they were for display only... oh well.

Edited by eldiano

Is anyone who has the set also experiencing problems with the print on Iron Man's legs?

The black outline around the gold is not continous but rather just a dotted outline on mine.

Can I write an E-Mail to Lego for that?