ZCerberus

Useful Pirate Pieces from other Themes?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Weil said:

Yes, but perhaps worth pointing out it is a sticker before people get too excited.

That's actually a good thing. I see that flag used with all kinds of other stickers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So people can see what part they are discussing in 42118 :pir-grin:

42118.jpg

Obviously the wheels right? :pir-murder:

Edited by evancelt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, evancelt said:

So people can see what part they are discussing in 42118 :pir-grin:

<snip>

Obviously the wheels right? :pir-murder:

Well, some of those lime green parts would be good for plants. And I guess the black Technic beams could be used as pitch-covered wooden planks. In any event, that flag and sticker sheet will likely be in some demand on Bricklink. Look at the list of wanted colors for the unprinted large flag sometime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Well, some of those lime green parts would be good for plants. And I guess the black Technic beams could be used as pitch-covered wooden planks. In any event, that flag and sticker sheet will likely be in some demand on Bricklink. Look at the list of wanted colors for the unprinted large flag sometime.

Definitely! It's crazy how some of the rarer vintage pirate pieces (admiral/governor torsos, head, hat, imperial flags, red octagon web clip, blue lantern piece, etc) have exploded in price during COVID lockdowns. I think a lot of 30-somethings are nostalgic for the vintage sets and now have time and income to spend on the pieces (certainly the case for me now)!

Edited by evancelt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gedren_y said:

That's actually a good thing. I see that flag used with all kinds of other stickers.

Ah, okay. That's all good then.  I just personally would have been more interested if it were otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The teal jacket from 71735 Tournament of Elements is perfect for a Napoleonic hussar officer.

Here's how I'm using it:

50940638822_3520f1e9cd.jpg

Edited by 2maxwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 2maxwell said:

The teal jacket from 71735 Tournament of Elements is perfect for a Napoleonic hussar officer.

Looks like a great torso! Thanks for the tip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone in need of a quantity of hull parts may want to consider the upcoming Super Mario set 71391 Bowser's Airship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Someone in need of a quantity of hull parts may want to consider the upcoming Super Mario set 71391 Bowser's Airship.

Yup! I think they're Medium Nougat too, which would be a new color for those ship hulls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some other cool recolors in that set that could be useful in a Pirates context (or other historic contexts, for that matter) are lanterns and vine/filigree pieces in Medium Stone Grey, and 2x2x2 barrels, 8x8x2/3 rounded plates, and 8x4x2/3 rounded plates in Medium Nougat.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being one of the most popular Super Mario sets as a "parts pack" for AFOLs, since it has so many useful or interesting parts in subdued "earth tones" compared to more brightly colored parts or character/brand specific prints/molds. Certainly I'm excited for some of these recolors myself, especially since the 8x4x2/3 rounded plate currently only comes in Medium Lilac (Dark Purple) and Bright Green, which are somewhat trickier to build a color scheme around (especially due to the relatively limited availability of other large plates in those colors).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Super Mario Airpship is a Masterpiece!!! you can pull it out to make it a bigger ship!!!!! OMGGGG  I usually don't jump at sets that often but this is one of them that will make me buy it with out remorse lololol CAN't WAIT!!! 

I see they are going for the similar build used in 21322 when it comes to the Back end!!! I love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Some other cool recolors in that set that could be useful in a Pirates context (or other historic contexts, for that matter) are lanterns and vine/filigree pieces in Medium Stone Grey, and 2x2x2 barrels, 8x8x2/3 rounded plates, and 8x4x2/3 rounded plates in Medium Nougat.

Where did you spot the 2x2x2 barrels in medium nougat? I can't seem to spot them in the product photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PxChris said:

Where did you spot the 2x2x2 barrels in medium nougat? I can't seem to spot them in the product photos.

It's attached to the platform Mario's on in this image (I think it's meant to be the end of the Magikoopa's broomstick).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lyichir said:

It's attached to the platform Mario's on in this image (I think it's meant to be the end of the Magikoopa's broomstick).

Ahh, there it is... nice spotting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That ship! Oh that ship!!!

Strip it and modify it into a more real life vessel.

@2maxwell a little bit late to the party but regarding that ninjago torso, I like how similar us pirate lovers think! :pir-grin: :pir-huzzah2:

(Also the druid like character has an interesting torso for an islander-like minifig)

Edited by blackdeathgr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

@2maxwell a little bit late to the party but regarding that ninjago torso, I like how similar us pirate lovers think! :pir-grin: :pir-huzzah2:

Thanks for the tip. Mine is coming in the mail tomorrow! :pir-grin:

Edited by evancelt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, evancelt said:

Thanks for the tip. Mine is coming in the mail tomorrow! :pir-grin:

Creating new factions, are we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, evancelt said:

Thanks for the tip. Mine is coming in the mail tomorrow! :pir-grin:

Besides those two torsos, it's an excellent minifig/part pack set, as it's always been with ninjago minifig-heavy sets. It's surprisedly affordable too especially considering other relevant options.

Edited by blackdeathgr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2021 at 4:29 AM, Jack Sassy said:

Creating new factions, are we?

Have more in store for him

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Has anyone tried to do anything useful with the 

FRAME 3X3, W/ BOW, NO. 1

Element
6343651
Design Number
73878
 
The new half circle window that could be perfectly used for a Captain's quarter or forward deck?  It looks off on the Hogwarts chamber of secret castle and medieval 31120 but I'm sure it would be perfect in a pirate ship.
 
All I could think of is the look out towers similar to the Silent Mary but making that ship lego mini figure sized is an expensive MOC I can't afford.  I love the galleon inspired ship but i'm just thinking if anyone else has good ideas? 
 
Also would the monkey from the Wildlife Rescue Operation 60302 be a perfect fit replacement for the discontinued monkey?   There's a darker variant on 60307!
 
Edited by eldiano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, eldiano said:

Has anyone tried to do anything useful with the 

FRAME 3X3, W/ BOW, NO. 1

Element
6343651
Design Number
73878 
 
The new half circle window that could be perfectly used for a Captain's quarter or forward deck?  It looks off on the Hogwarts chamber of secret castle and medieval 31120 but I'm sure it would be perfect in a pirate ship.
  
All I could think of is the look out towers similar to the Silent Mary but making that ship lego mini figure sized is an expensive MOC I can't afford.  I love the galleon inspired ship but i'm just thinking if anyone else has good ideas?  

I could definitely imagine plenty of uses. Using it without any window panes at all could be great as a new way of constructing railings (for example, on a crow's nest, where the 4x4 curved fence pieces would generally be too large for most LEGO pirate ships).

It could also be used with solid-colored windowpanes as a new, more decorative way of creating a curved wall than just using curved bricks. And with transparent window panes, it would naturally be a great fit for lighthouses!

13 hours ago, eldiano said:

Also would the monkey from the Wildlife Rescue Operation 60302 be a perfect fit replacement for the discontinued monkey?   There's a darker variant on 60307!

I'm definitely a big fan of the new monkey. Not posable like the old one, of course, but I think the face printing and more realistic size (closer to the size of LEGO dogs and cats than adult minifigures) more than justify that sacrifice.

The "classic" recolor of the current crocodile molds in 60302 also bring back a lot of old-school LEGO Pirates and Islanders nostalgia for me!
 

Thinking about other stuff that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, it's just occurred to me that a lot of the curved glow-in-the-dark elements from the Monkie Kid Bone Demon set are just BEGGING to be used as the timbers of a literal "ghost ship"! The hair and skull-patterned headdress of the Lady Bone Demon minifigure in that set also feel like they could be great for some sort of fantasy pirate character, whether genuinely undead or just with a taste for spooky aesthetics.

That hair/headdress would also pair beautifully with the skull-patterned sword hilt or skull-patterned serrated cutlass from the Ninjago sky pirate sets. I've been thinking for quite a while now about the potential some of those skull-patterned Ninjago parts would have for reuse as fantasy pirate stuff… especially the hilt piece, since its lack of a blade and useful connection points open it up to all kinds of decorative uses, not just as part of a weapon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eldiano said:

Also would the monkey from the Wildlife Rescue Operation 60302 be a perfect fit replacement for the discontinued monkey?

I know a specifically good use for that monkey... :pir-wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, evancelt said:

So people can see what part they are discussing in 42118 :pir-grin:

42118.jpg

Obviously the wheels right? :pir-murder:

Oh yes!

The moment I saw that set I knew what to do with it.

 

51082293981_c2cb407fbb_c.jpg

Edited by Sebeus I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There are some parts of interest in the Ninjago The Island Subtheme if you want to create some Islanders.

Shield:
2586pb009.jpg

Shaman mask:
69565pb01.jpg

Chieftain hat:

69576pb01.png
Hair:
6129476.jpg

A sail:
73481.png

You can also get a black quiver and bow. And then get canoes from the Lego Friends 21319.

The problem is that I can't find the shield and shaman mask at Lego bricks and pieces. Do I have to buy the sets to get the pieces or spend the big bucks on bricklink to get them?

Any good torsos and legs that would go well with the Islanders? I would prefer in yellow like the original Islanders. Any good hairs?

Edited by Captain_SoyBeard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently I got a few of those watermelon heads, go well with the rest of the food in crates of my Barracuda Bay

3626cpb2763.png

 

Also, I can't believe how expensive is the Seagul piece :( I really hope they will make more sets with it, to drive the price down

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.