ZCerberus

Useful Pirate Pieces from other Themes?

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

The Sand Yellow (Dark Tan) crown/eggshell pieces in that set could also be very useful for palm tree trunks! 

Interesting - I don't think I've seen anyone use that technique before!

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Interesting - I don't think I've seen anyone use that technique before!

It was used for the palm tree in this year's Boutique Hotel, but dark tan will be a much more naturalistic color for the trunk than the gold used in that set:

10297_alt2.jpg

This set used a rigid minifigure lance to stack the crown pieces, but you could also use 3.2mm flex cable (like used in many Technic sets) to make the trunk longer and give it more of a natural arc.

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

It was used for the palm tree in this year's Boutique Hotel

I don't think I've seen the Boutique Hotel before either :pir-grin:

But thank you for educating of building techniques which could be incorporated into pirate MOCs - those lanterns adjacent the palm tree could also make a fine addition to pirate creations.

22 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

So... any ideas which faction of soldiers would best fit the new orange epaulettes?

Or the new purple and magenta bicorne hats (from 10313 Wildflower Bouquet??) :pir-grin:

Edited by Captain Dee

28 minutes ago, Captain Dee said:

Or the new purple and magenta bicorne hats

Oh, yes, those too. :pir-grin:

They could fit for a faction which uses some purple accents on uniforms.

1 hour ago, Captain Dee said:

Or the new purple and magenta bicorne hats

I am really curious to see what people will make out of these flamboyant colored hats.

Quick tablescrap I came up with using one of the weapon pieces from the Monkie Kid theme. I could see this being nice ornamentation for the windows on a pirate ship. The brick attaching the rake head piece is just a 1x2 brick with Technic axle hole.

Edited by Lyichir

11 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Introducing Captain Bustle and her crew: :pir-grin:

Well, that scrapped all me theories in a flash. :pir_laugh2:

On 12/22/2022 at 10:08 PM, Lyichir said:

It was used for the palm tree in this year's Boutique Hotel, but dark tan will be a much more naturalistic color for the trunk than the gold used in that set:

The palm species where I live (Sabal Palmetto) have trunks that resemble that eggshell piece and the dark tan should match its most perfectly!

On 1/22/2023 at 3:43 AM, Jack Sassy said:

So... any ideas which faction of soldiers would best fit the new orange epaulettes?

My first thought would be Dutch soldiers but I know that's not very historically accurate. 

On 1/22/2023 at 4:52 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

I am really curious to see what people will make out of these flamboyant colored hats.

These hats will be perfect for Pirate towns in my opinion!

On 1/23/2023 at 10:41 AM, Lyichir said:

Quick tablescrap I came up with using one of the weapon pieces from the Monkie Kid theme. I could see this being nice ornamentation for the windows on a pirate ship. The brick attaching the rake head piece is just a 1x2 brick with Technic axle hole.

I need to get a ton of these weapon packs! Great thinking on the window decoration!

14 hours ago, azog said:

My first thought would be Dutch soldiers but I know that's not very historically accurate. 

I see, will have to look at different options once I obtain them. :pir-thumb:

Can't think of any historic military factions that orange epaulettes would make a lot of sense for. Usually if they wanted a bright "sunny" color like that to represent a particular rank, I figure they'd just use gold, rather than orange ones that might get confused for gold.

That said, I suppose a pirate captain or a particularly ostentatious merchant could wear them as a appropriated fashion statement rather than a symbol of rank.

On more of a fantasy level, they could be a pretty good match for the Sky Pirate minifig parts from the 2016 Ninjago sets, whose designs included a lot of steampunk-ish metal armor with orange paint.

…Or you could use them for John Lennon from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. :tongue:

Still waiting for the day LEGO might bring back the large palm leaf pieces , most likely via botanical, piece has not been made since the 2002 remake version of 10037: Breezeway Café, 21 years ago already.

Edited by TeriXeri

26 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Still waiting for the day LEGO might bring back the large palm leaf pieces , most likely via botanical, piece has not been made since the 2002 remake version of 10037: Breezeway Café, 21 years ago already.

But they are back! Check the new 10313 Wildflower Bouquet.

13 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

But they are back! Check the new 10313 Wildflower Bouquet.

I have not seen a parts list of this set yet, I thought it was a recolor of the small leaf (which is already very nice to begin with).

If they are indeed the large 10 x 5 variant, then :thumbup::pir-cry_happy:

50 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Where there 2 different sizes of the classic palm leaf piece?

Yes

1 hour ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Do you know the item numbers?

The small leaf has been in production pretty much each year, and got even some other recolors in recent years, gold in 2014, black in 2019, lime in 2020 most recently 

Large Leaf was introduced the original 1989 Pirates year, Small leaf was introduced when Islanders appeared 5 year after, only a few sets used both together, most notable 1994 islanders and 2 1997 Pirates set and the big Adventurer set in 1998, and then Legends version of 2001 Enchanted Island.

Strangely enough, the large leaf disappeared completely after 2002.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

The small leaf has been in production pretty much each year, and got even some other recolors in recent years, gold in 2014, black in 2019, lime in 2020 most recently 

Large Leaf was introduced the original 1989 Pirates year, Small leaf was introduced when Islanders appeared 5 year after, only a few sets used both together, most notable 1994 islanders and 2 1997 Pirates set and the big Adventurer set in 1998, and then Legends version of 2001 Enchanted Island.

Strangely enough, the large leaf disappeared completely after 2002.

That is interesting, thanks! I was born 1983 and played with Lego until i was around 15 years old. My younger sister also got more Lego later. But i don't remember that there were two different sizes of the palm tree leafs.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:10 AM, Aanchir said:

That said, I suppose a pirate captain or a particularly ostentatious merchant could wear them as a appropriated fashion statement rather than a symbol of rank.

Might have to look into that too. Something from the high society. :pir-thumb: