ZCerberus

Useful Pirate Pieces from other Themes?

@evancelt Looking at your spoiler pic... you poser!!! :iamded_lol:

On another note, 10297 hotel guys uniforms might prove useful on a moc or two, same as 41702 (nougat?) ship elements.

Edited by blackdeathgr

1 hour ago, blackdeathgr said:

:pir-huzzah2:

1 hour ago, blackdeathgr said:

On another note, 10297 hotel guys uniforms might prove useful on a moc or two, same as 41702 (nougat?) ship elements.

Yeah I've been eyeing those green bellhop torsos. They look good!

I have nothing new to offer, however does anyone know any torso prints that have a yellow shirt that works with the pirate theme? I'm trying to make a "yellow coat" ish army but I can't seem to find a good torso. 

1 hour ago, azog said:

I have nothing new to offer, however does anyone know any torso prints that have a yellow shirt that works with the pirate theme? I'm trying to make a "yellow coat" ish army but I can't seem to find a good torso. 

Lego doesn't make a ton of yellow torsos, especially not coats... since outside of licensed themes that's the typical minifigure skin tone. You might want to take a gander through the torsos available in Flame Yellowish Orange/Bright Light Orange to see if anything pops out to you as being suitable? There have been a few torsos in that color in themes like Ninjago and Monkie Kid that could potentially be suitable for historic figs.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:27 PM, blackdeathgr said:

On another note, 10297 hotel guys uniforms might prove useful on a moc or two

I would say the the hotel itself could prove super useful for a pirate town :excited: (my knowledge on buildings is a little rusty but this building in particular could be used (possibly) for late 17th century).

On 12/8/2021 at 8:27 AM, blackdeathgr said:

I suspect that those ship bases are the same Medium Nougat ones as in 71391 Bowser's Airship, but it is nice that we're continuing to see them in more sets, especially since that set only had one of each of these two particular hull segment molds.

One of next year's sets that stood out to me as having a part with a lot of potential utility in Pirates builds is 43208 Jasmine and Mulan's Adventure from the Disney theme, which features a Reddish Brown recolor of part 67361. Sets have been using narrower dinosaur/dragon tail pieces as palm tree trunks for years now (and that continues a few of next year's sets like 41700 Beach Glamping and 60328 Beach Lifeguard Station), but this is a thicker piece that could be used either by itself (as it is in this set) or together with other curved tube pieces like 65473 to make a taller tree.

On that note, the aforementioned Beach Lifeguard Station set introduces a Brick Yellow/Tan and Dark Red recolor of the sea turtle from Minifigures Series 21, and a Sand Yellow/Dark Tan recolor of 79387 from the Super Mario theme as its nest. But I could also see a nice curvy structural piece like that being useful for various sorts of shipbuilding-related uses.

The 2x2 "splatter" tile that appears in many of next year's City sets could definitely also have utility in Pirates builds, particularly the Tr. Light Blue version that appears in a lot of firefighting sets, and could be generally useful for puddles.

And the Toucan from the Minifigures Series 22 Ornithologist will be great for tropical island settings!

On 12/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, zinnn said:

Also her legs seem to be quite good fit for a pirate

Really? I'd have figured that the belt loops and pockets would be much too modern for a historical pirate crew.

Incoming mangrovian forest roots! Yay!

(and interesting minifig pieces from Dr Strange and his sidekick(?)

68316_Gargantos%201A_202112212246.jpg

Edited by blackdeathgr

77398 Hogwarts Hospital Wing contains a couple of parts that could be of interest to Pirates builders. Firstly, the treasure chest with flat lid seen in other Harry Potter and Minecraft sets appears there in black. Secondly (and to me most interestingly) the bottle of Skele-Gro uses a minifigure baby head in white with skull printing!

I'd been hoping to see the minifigure baby head used more widely and released with a wider variety of printing, and this doesn't disappoint. Compared to the standard minifigure head (which is slightly wider than 1x1), the baby head mold is exactly as wide as a 1x1 round brick. It's also only two plates tall not counting the non-functional mini stud on the top. And compared to standard minifigure heads (which attach to a stud), the baby head attached to a 3.2mm bar (though the 20482 "nipple plate" allows it to be easily adapted to standard studs). I feel like this would make great ornamental detail on a pirate ship. Its size would allow it to be integrated into things like railings or relief-molding quite easily, or fit into a crowded cabin as a small carved memento mori.

I don't buy Harry Potter sets out of principle so I'm hoping that this piece gets used in other sets and themes as well. It would fit quite easily into a theme like Ninjago or Monkie Kid with skeleton-themed baddies, and if Castle or Pirates gets a revival any time soon it would obviously be easy to use there as well. Best-case scenario, it becomes available through Bricks and Pieces despite originating in a licensed set so that people who want to use it liberally as decoration can get plenty!

50 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I feel like this would make great ornamental detail on a pirate ship. Its size would allow it to be integrated into things like railings or relief-molding quite easily, or fit into a crowded cabin as a small carved memento mori.

First thing I picture in me mind is that Queen Anne's Revenge railing on the back, it would look better with smaller heads:

4195_alt2.jpg

Secondly, it could further decorate Cannibal Village:

4182_alt3.jpg

Of course, it can be used on Classic Pirates too. :pir-grin:

20 hours ago, Lyichir said:

77398 Hogwarts Hospital Wing contains a couple of parts that could be of interest to Pirates builders. Firstly, the treasure chest with flat lid seen in other Harry Potter and Minecraft sets appears there in black. Secondly (and to me most interestingly) the bottle of Skele-Gro uses a minifigure baby head in white with skull printing!

Thanks for the tip, I just want to paste a photo of this for others

TF61Jx9.jpg

Edited by zinnn

5 hours ago, zinnn said:

Thanks for the tip, I just want to past a photo of this for others

TF61Jx9.jpg

That headpiece might be useful as well. Maybe for a nun?

On 1/5/2022 at 9:48 PM, Lyichir said:

Not sure about the flat lid chest but the mini-skeleton head would look outstanding as a knob on a walking cane/cursing stick

Also @Jiesdeo You chose my new favorite LEGO animal as your avatar pic!!! :pir-grin:

Edited by blackdeathgr

12 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Also @Jiesdeo You chose my new favorite LEGO animal as your avatar pic!!! :pir-grin:

Yeah, It's my favourite too!

30562-1.jpg?202112020942

Current promotional polybag has some pirate stuff, drum gold ingots, 2 skeletons with swords, and some coral/plants.

26 minutes ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Instead of bandanas and hats, what type of hair pieces can you suggest for male pirate crew members?

My mind is stuck and I can only think of these:

31118.png

17630.png

These two come to mind, I also used Qui-Gon's hair a lot back in the day for custom Jack Sparrow minifigs.

LEGO Black Minifigure Hair Mid-Length Tousled Center Part 88283 Boy Male  (x1) | eBayBrickLink - Part 87999 : LEGO Minifigure, Hair Beard and Mouth Hole  [Minifigure, Hair] - BrickLink Reference Catalog

Thor's new hair also looks like it would fit some pirates.

LEGO Dark Tan Long Minifig Hair (79511) Comes In | Brick Owl - LEGO  Marketplace

20 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Instead of bandanas and hats, what type of hair pieces can you suggest for male pirate crew members?

My mind is stuck and I can only think of these:

One recent introduction that comes to mind as a Ninjago fan would be this recent black recolor of the Lego Batman Movie Joker hair: https://brickset.com/parts/6344417/mini-wig-no-130

Slightly bandana-adjacent, but last year's Ninjago sets also introduced versions of several of the Ninja's hair with headbands: https://brickset.com/parts/6320790/mini-wig-w-accessory-no-12 https://brickset.com/parts/6320793/mini-wig-w-accessory-no-13

This Monkie Kid hairpiece would also allow for some neat variety but so far only appears in dark grey, which might look too old for a typical pirate: https://brickset.com/parts/6338388/mini-wig-no-320

Also don't be afraid to diversify your pirate crews even if you just use yellow-skinned figs! In recent years Lego has introduced several afro-textured hair pieces that could work for pirates, like this one, among many others: https://brickset.com/parts/6382532/mini-wig-no-337

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

One recent introduction that comes to mind as a Ninjago fan would be this recent black recolor of the Lego Batman Movie Joker hair: https://brickset.com/parts/6344417/mini-wig-no-130

Slightly bandana-adjacent, but last year's Ninjago sets also introduced versions of several of the Ninja's hair with headbands: https://brickset.com/parts/6320790/mini-wig-w-accessory-no-12 https://brickset.com/parts/6320793/mini-wig-w-accessory-no-13

This Monkie Kid hairpiece would also allow for some neat variety but so far only appears in dark grey, which might look too old for a typical pirate: https://brickset.com/parts/6338388/mini-wig-no-320

Also don't be afraid to diversify your pirate crews even if you just use yellow-skinned figs! In recent years Lego has introduced several afro-textured hair pieces that could work for pirates, like this one, among many others: https://brickset.com/parts/6382532/mini-wig-no-337

Ohhh! The last one is very interesting!

:pir-thumb:

13 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Good call, I created a thread for black pirates here.

21 minutes ago, zinnn said:

Good call, I created a thread for black pirates here.

Yes, I've seen it and I was thinking to incorporate some black pirates too, provided the cost of acquiring them is about the same with white pirates.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:49 AM, _R_R_ said:

LEGO Black Minifigure Hair Mid-Length Tousled Center Part 88283 Boy Male  (x1) | eBay

I've been trying to figure out where is that hairpiece from, and still no success. Anyone?