ZCerberus

Useful Pirate Pieces from other Themes?

I took it for granted at the time, but I've come to appreciate The Lego Spongebob set from 2012 the 3817 Flying Dutchman, Especially the ship build.3817-1.jpg?201110160439

On 4/24/2016 at 4:49 PM, telaruhn said:
  Hide contents

26017492164_581e3c43e9_z.jpg

Excuse the quality, but I wanted to share Hook's hairpiece on a lady. Works well IMO

Great minds travel the same paths!

I did the exact same thing with my pirate queen minifigure, except I swapped out the white arms for Hook's Red arms with the white frilly cuffs.

FYI for Pirates fans who are interested in potentially repurposing the new Destiny's Bounty from the Lego Ninjago Movie, Brick Ministry has a topic for their speed build video of it in the action themes forum. I figure you guys will have a better idea of what parts, techniques, and features will interest you than I would!

On 7/17/2017 at 11:14 AM, Lyichir said:

FYI for Pirates fans who are interested in potentially repurposing the new Destiny's Bounty from the Lego Ninjago Movie, Brick Ministry has a topic for their speed build video of it in the action themes forum. I figure you guys will have a better idea of what parts, techniques, and features will interest you than I would!

Just got and built that set. If people are interested, I can take some pictures of it next to the Imperial Flagship.

40 minutes ago, 2maxwell said:

Just got and built that set. If people are interested, I can take some pictures of it next to the Imperial Flagship.

Please do!!!

Here are some quick snaps I took. If anyone wants more specific comparison shots, I'd be happy to provide them.

36255580561_dabb24f8f7_c.jpg

36255587241_72417147ab_c.jpg

35995688100_f3af7c010b_c.jpg

General impressions: the Destiny's Bounty is shorter than the Imperial Flagship both height and lengthwise. The difference in height is mostly just the sails; the decks are at about the same level. However, the Bounty's deck is wider and much easier to work with than the Flagship, and the sterncastle is higher. The inner space of the Bounty is much smaller and more cramped than the Flagship. Otherwise, I'm very impressed. The Destiny's Bounty was cheaper than the Imperial Flagship but has ~600 more pieces and it shows. The build is very impressive and absolutely packed with details.

Edited by 2maxwell

With regard to the Destiny's Bounty, something else I think is worth noting is its sheer heft. According to BrickLink the set weighs around 15% more than the Imperial Flagship. Granted, this is the net weight of the entire box, so includes things like the manuals (Destiny's Bounty's manual is much longer than the two Imperial Flagship manuals). But holding the set in your hands you definitely get the sense that you're getting a fair value in bricks.

The Ninjago Movie theme also includes a nice new map that could be useful to Pirates builders. https://brickset.com/parts/6199331/flat-tile-2x2-no-344 On that note, there's another neat map in the Jungle Explorers subtheme of City: https://brickset.com/parts/6195319/flat-tile-2x2-no-339

Edited by Aanchir

On 8/21/2017 at 9:37 AM, Aanchir said:

With regard to the Destiny's Bounty, something else I think is worth noting is its sheer heft. According to BrickLink the set weighs around 15% more than the Imperial Flagship. Granted, this is the net weight of the entire box, so includes things like the manuals (Destiny's Bounty's manual is much longer than the two Imperial Flagship manuals). But holding the set in your hands you definitely get the sense that you're getting a fair value in bricks.

The Ninjago Movie theme also includes a nice new map that could be useful to Pirates builders. https://brickset.com/parts/6199331/flat-tile-2x2-no-344 On that note, there's another neat map in the Jungle Explorers subtheme of City has a pretty good-looking map itself: https://brickset.com/parts/6195319/flat-tile-2x2-no-339

I'm surprised it's only 15%. From first hand experience, it feels like a lot more than that. The Flagship was pretty easy to "swoosh around" and play with, but I gave up trying to do that with the Bounty pretty quickly. The ship really does have some heft. It's really a shame they didn't make the sails larger, or it would have been almost perfect.

On 9/5/2017 at 1:11 PM, Captain Pirate Man said:

@2maxwell,

Which ship do you like better?

That's tough. The Bounty is a far more interesting build with much more detail than the IFS. I can't stress enough how impressive most of it really is. However, the scale of the Bounty's sails really throws me off, and the IFS is a much more beautiful ship in that respect. That, combined with the playability of the IFS (both "swooshability" and ease of accessing the insides) tips the balance for the IFS for me.

I -love- the Destiny's Bounty just because despite it being a Ninjago set it isn't "gimmicky" or anything - swap out the crew with some more normal looking pirates and you've got a veritible Chinese Junk and I wish I just had 160 dollars to spend on it! Ahhh!

Hmm, no chatter in this thread since the new year, it seems? I guess the first notable development is that the blue baseplate is back. A Juniors Ninjago set has a new printed map that could work in historic contexts. Ship in a Bottle has lots of nice prints that I'm sure are already being discussed in other threads.

Ariel's Royal Celebration Boat is the other major ship set I'm aware of, but doesn't seem to offer a whole lot for people building a more authentic-looking fleet that you couldn't find just as easily in other sets.

Emily Jones and the Eagle Getaway has a book with a printed pattern on the cover resembling a compass rose, which could be suited to nautical creations. It's got a printed tile for the inside page with a similar compass rose pattern, though it's a glowy Tr. Light Blue so maybe more suited to fantasy creations than more realist ones. Lumia the eagle and all the other new Elves guardian creatures have a 2x2 Warm Gold tile with a more colorful compass rose pattern. Of those, Naida's turtle could provide some good parts and inspiration for making a giant turtle, for those whose creations are more whimsically inclined. The new elemental diamond pieces (which match the shape of the points on the compass rose) could be a nice new treasure for those who may or may not be already drowning in the traditional ruby/diamond pieces from Adventurers.

Spiders appear in Cool Yellow and Glow White for the first time in Elves and City, respectively, which could be fun for island layouts. City also introduces raw gold nuggets which may help enhance the variety in a treasure cave.

No one has mentioned it but the Ideas Old Fishing Shack is easily converted to a rather interesting portside location for our Pirate Brethren. lot's of useful parts and colors and that wonderful cobbled together run down feeling out of the box. 

Destiny's Bounty is still the best ship we have seen in years for Piraty stype stuff. I stumbled on this video last night. Not my creation but gotta give the builder his due. He combined two DB's and extended the masts and DAMN! 

My hat is off to "MOC Your Bricks" well done sir. That is Magnificent! and at the simple cost of two common retail sets. 

There is also an upcoming set 31084 Pirates Roller Coaster. Safe bet is that has some interesting parts. It seems to be the next Creator Amusement Park ride.

40307 Castle INterior Kit is a Disney Princess set that has a lot of pearl gold interior pieces that would be good to detail cabins.

70643 Ninjago Temple of Resurrection is a nice foreign and remote islans type set with a lot of exotic decorative parts

Possibly some useful buildings in the new Harry Potter/ Fantastic Beasts line. 

On 1/30/2018 at 2:21 AM, Faefrost said:

No one has mentioned it but the Ideas Old Fishing Shack is easily converted to a rather interesting portside location for our Pirate Brethren. lot's of useful parts and colors and that wonderful cobbled together run down feeling out of the box. 

Destiny's Bounty is still the best ship we have seen in years for Piraty stype stuff. I stumbled on this video last night. Not my creation but gotta give the builder his due. He combined two DB's and extended the masts and DAMN! 

My hat is off to "MOC Your Bricks" well done sir. That is Magnificent! and at the simple cost of two common retail sets. 

Oh yeah, MoC Your Bricks is an amazing Builder!

Wow, that combined Destiny's Bounty sure looks great! 

I just picked one up (took about 4 1/2 hours to assemble, a fun build (I think the first set I bought in a couple of years now), but a bit too wide... I may have to follow the MOC your Bricks and buy a second one...

23 hours ago, Legostone said:

Wow, that combined Destiny's Bounty sure looks great! 

I just picked one up (took about 4 1/2 hours to assemble, a fun build (I think the first set I bought in a couple of years now), but a bit too wide... I may have to follow the MOC your Bricks and buy a second one...

I did it myself and I would highly recommend that you do it too if you are able too, it looks amazing.

I've been having a play with adding a guard (ring piece or open stud) to the machete piece from the jungle sets to use as a cutlass.

What do people think?

40707387465_737281c86f_m.jpg    39791261850_ab51337079_m.jpg    40888261964_2710b6ab2d_m.jpg  

40888261544_27fb4591f1_m.jpg    41558690232_512ca0592a_m.jpg   39791261370_5164d37bf8_m.jpg

2 hours ago, Weil said:

I've been having a play with adding a guard (ring piece or open stud) to the machete piece from the jungle sets to use as a cutlass.

What do people think?

That looks pretty nice!  Good thinking!

On 4/21/2018 at 3:18 PM, Weil said:

Not bad at all! Both versions look nice. :thumbup:

Took some torso’s from the Mime and a purple version of Drakula’s torso to make a few new pirates. Just swapped the striped arms for bare yellow arms and it looks pretty well as a pirate. Enjoy! 

FDC67822-DBEA-4309-A5D2-9D37DC78719D.jpeg