ZCerberus

Useful Pirate Pieces from other Themes?

I should mention that besides the first wave of Ninjago sets this year being a part of the sky pirate themed "Skybound" story arc, three other sets this summer continue that theme: Kryptarium Prison Breakout, The Green NRG Dragon, and The Lighthouse Siege.

Kryptarium Prison Breakout doesn't really have any sky pirate minifigures or vessels, but one of the prisoners, Captain Soto, has a face and hat that will be great for Pirates creations (sadly, his modern prison garb means his torso won't really be useful). The Green NRG Dragon and The Lighthouse Siege have sky pirate minifigures, including some who are rare in the sets for the first half of the year. However, the ones with neck accessories use this shoulder armor in Earth Green instead of epaulettes in the same color. The Lighthouse Siege set is probably the one that could most easily be transplanted to a nautical display without much modification, and it offers some great parts for fort-building and landscaping. However, the sky pirate flyer that comes with it has fewer nautical motifs than those from the first half of the year.

In terms of new parts, there's a new chain part used on the lanterns in The Green NRG Dragon and The Lighthouse Siege. Not sure if it might have any nautical uses, but I feel like it'd be good to point that out. Overall, I know the Ninjago sets are a mixed bag for builders of more traditional displays, but I'll be interested to see if you guys find some good uses for their parts anyway!

Edited by Aanchir

Seems like Lego are pretty good at including at least one pirate-themed or pirate-useful figure in most CMF series (or at the very least they alternate between Pirate and Western themes).

I agree! It only took them, what, 8 series to do a pirate, but they've caught up since then. pirate_classic.gif I love my Island Warrior, Swashbuckler, Revolutionary Soldier, Pirate Captain, Conquistador, Judge and Zombie Pirate. And now a Captain Hook minifigure--to quote the captain, "I've been waiting years for this!" pirate_laugh2.gif And a Scalawag Pirate, you say? I can't wait to see it!

I should mention that besides the first wave of Ninjago sets this year being a part of the sky pirate themed "Skybound" story arc, three other sets this summer continue that theme: Kryptarium Prison Breakout, The Green NRG Dragon, and The Lighthouse Siege.

Kryptarium Prison Breakout doesn't really have any sky pirate minifigures or vessels, but one of the prisoners, Captain Soto, has a face and hat that will be great for Pirates creations (sadly, his modern prison garb means his torso won't really be useful).

Ooooh, I missed that! That's an awesome new pirate hat. I'd been leaning toward not getting the Ninjago sets, but now I think I'll get them and part 'em out. We may not be getting any new sets this year, but it's nice to have some minifigures to look forward to. pirate_laugh2.gif

TC

Going back to the Raid Zeppelin (70603), I built mine a few days ago and it's definitely a very useful set for us pirate fans. pirate_classic.gif

You get two anchors, a cannon, the ship's wheel, not one but two Asian pirate flags (one is a spare) - great for a potential Asian faction of pirates if you wish to make one.

What is more, if you are a fan of the stud shooters/swivel guns or whatever you wish to call them, you get four - two in white and two in black. Actually, the black ones are a different type which has an added base, so it can't really work as a swivel gun, but one can add some small wheels to it and turn it into a small gun for a smaller pirate ship (this is the first time I've seen this kind of gun, I apologise if it's not new pir_laugh2.gif - I'm not really that much into Ninjago sets).

And you get a broom, a bucket, a barrel with dynamite, not to mention the minifigs, with which you also get cool greeen epaulettes plus a dark brown peg leg with a dark green healthy leg. The torsos might be useful for some Asian pirates too.

Highly recommended!

I'm strongly considering getting it myself - though if LEGO makes the eupalettes and new peg leg available through Bricks & Pieces, I'll just buy those pieces instead. More cannons, anchors and steering wheels are nice - but not "must haves".

From the 3 upcoming summer sets, only the new printed map piece seems all that great.

I too find the three ninjago summer sets somewhat unappealing for pirating. Totally opposed to the march upcoming ones!!

Elve´s new wave of 2016 includes a new and exiting mold and piece: Hourglass. This item is included in set 41173. pirate_classic.gif now we just have to wait that they release it in reddish brown and tan hopefully....

Captain Becker

Elve´s new wave of 2016 includes a new and exiting mold and piece: Hourglass. This item is included in set 41173. pirate_classic.gif now we just have to wait that they release it in reddish brown and tan hopefully....

Captain Becker

Not entirely sure what you'd want reddish brown for... the hourglass piece itself is just transparent blended with trans-pink—the gold parts on the top and bottom are just regular 1x1 plates. Tan (or even white) for the center would be very good for historic builds, but the exterior color basically has to be a transparent color if you want to be able to see inside.

Ahem... You are absolutely right. pirate_laugh2.gif I got a bit over exited when I saw the piece myself and did not think at all what I was supposed to write. Sorry about that.... You are absolutely right. pirate_blush.gif

Captain Becker

I forgot to mention that, apart from all the stuff listed above, with the Raid Zeppelin you also get 7 of those in black:

4140588.jpg

Which is a pretty nice bonus considering they are frequently used by ship MOCers to make gunports, coupled with flags of course.

We have a pic of Captain Hook, with new hairpiece and hat...

*snip* Since it's been deleted from the rest of the forum it occurred to me to remove the image from here!

Anyway Captain hook came with a hairpiece and hat combo, it was a little oversized for regular pirates perhaps but added variety.

Edited by BrickOn

I forgot to mention that, apart from all the stuff listed above, with the Raid Zeppelin you also get 7 of those in black:

4140588.jpg

Which is a pretty nice bonus considering they are frequently used by ship MOCers to make gunports, coupled with flags of course.

That is indeed an interesting addition.

We have a pic of Captain Hook, with new hairpiece and hat...

Hat looks a bit too cartoony for my Pirate theme... and the torso has flesh coloured skin on it, and I already have the Épée in pearl gold. So I guess I'll be passing on this minifig... there are a few other bits that might be useful for a Pirate theme, like the telescope and the knife, but I think I have enough of them already.

The Lego Twitter feed just posted a photo of Pirate Batman from an upcoming DK book:

I had to look it up, it's from here:

I wouldn't normally consider this, but... I really think my Pirate theme could to with a Pirate Batman... maybe hidden away as an 'easter egg' or something...

I usually steer away from superheroes as they tend to eat my money fast but this pirate one is well, marvelous!

Anyone ever thought of using the Fred torso from the Scooby Doo line?

973pb2070c01.jpg?1

Pair it with blue legs, a shako, and backpack and you've got a decent approximation of an Austrian soldier.

A chef top isn't terrible either, but it's a bit chubby haha. Could work for an officer tho if you use red legs though. Here's something I just mocked up:

24857801514_3c7cd0641f.jpg

I've also thought about this torso from the painter minifigure for injured soldiers. I'm colorblind but I think that's red on it?

973pb0848c01.jpg?1

Edited by 2maxwell

I've also thought about this torso from the painter minifigure for injured soldiers. I'm colorblind but I think that's red on it?

973pb0848c01.jpg?1

Yes, the smear on the right is red.

Three cheers for LEGO Pirate Batman. Even just saying "LEGO Pirate Batman" is flippin' awesome. pirate_laugh2.gif The figure isn't even that great, but who cares, it's LEGO Pirate Batman!!!

This appears to be based on the Legends of Batman Buccaneer Batman action figure from my childhood. It's not the best version of Pirate Batman--yes, there are several--but the action figure versions of Pirate Robin, Pirate Joker, and Pirate Two-Face are amazing; and I wanted them so badly. The fact that they're making a LEGO version of this (and Captain Hook too!) is almost enough to make my brain explode. We need a LEGO Pirate Batman Ideas proposal STAT so they can make the rest of the crew.

2016, you do not disappoint.

TC

There is a picture now of some of the S16 minifigures, including the Scallywag Pirate

We can't post the pic here or even share the links but it looks very good

He was a new bald hairpiece with a bandana, like this

There is a picture now of some of the S16 minifigures, including the Scallywag Pirate

We can't post the pic here or even share the links but it looks very good

He was a new bald hairpiece with a bandana, like this

I just realized, that could be used for another Biker minifig at some point.

The Elves Starlight Inn has a 1x1 round tile with compass printing that I think is new (or at least didn't show up on a Bricklink search).

I guess I'll have to get used to 'bald' minifigures, I've never known quite what to think of having 'hats' shaped like bald heads. But otherwise I'm excited by this, new types of headgear for pirates! I hope we see it in other colours, maybe black or brown or dark green.

Shame we can't see the whole minifigure (in the image I found), but I'm quite sure he'll fit in with my pirate crew nicely.

Can't see much else in S16 that might be useful for Pirates yet, except for perhaps the acoustic guitar on the Mariachi... anyone familiar with musical instruments know whether that sort of guitar would be appropriate for the era?

Edit: actually looks like the 'modern' guitar shape has been around for the long time, I'm definitely adding a pirate guitarist to my crew: http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/handbook/BriefHistory.html

Edited by David Thomsen

Thanks for sharing that link! I didn't realize the design went back that far.

Love the new bandanna headpiece--I'd hoped to use the Hippie's hair for that purpose and was disappointed when it turned out to be just a headband. And striped pants too! That's awesome.

TC

Edited by TalonCard

Hat looks a bit too cartoony for my Pirate theme... and the torso has flesh coloured skin on it, and I already have the Épée in pearl gold. So I guess I'll be passing on this minifig... there are a few other bits that might be useful for a Pirate theme, like the telescope and the knife, but I think I have enough of them already.

Maybe the hat/hair piece could be used for a Pirate Queen or something?

hero.jpg

Maybe the hat/hair piece could be used for a Pirate Queen or something?

26017492164_581e3c43e9_z.jpg

Excuse the quality, but I wanted to share Hook's hairpiece on a lady. Works well IMO