Sign in to follow this  
pocketmego

MOC - Hero Factory - Makuhero Citizen: CLANCY GRILLS

Nice colorscheme. The small build is interesting too. What helmet did you use?

Nice colorscheme. The small build is interesting too. What helmet did you use?

Backwards NEX Breakout. He "donated" most of the parts. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen any citizen type figures in this line. Bionicle gave us like a thousand matoran.

Haha, this is brilliant! There aren't nearly enough Hero Factory civilian MOCs out there. That shield works wonderfully as a serving tray, and the use of Pyrox's faceplate as a steak is very darkly humorous. The build is not especially complex, but the resulting character is still unquestionably unique. Great work!

Backwards NEX Breakout. He "donated" most of the parts. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen any citizen type figures in this line. Bionicle gave us like a thousand matoran.

I´m guessing that it's because Bionicle was more story-oriented, and had room for characters that had importance that wasn't just "being the heroes".

I´m guessing that it's because Bionicle was more story-oriented, and had room for characters that had importance that wasn't just "being the heroes".

I think it's more that BIONICLE had a different type of story presentation, at least in 2001, than Hero Factory has. BIONICLE's first major story medium, other than the comics, was the Mata Nui Online Game, and that's where the majority of Matoran characters originated. Hero Factory also had some non-hero characters originate in its online games — specifically, "Mission: Von Nebula", "Mission 2: Ordeal of Fire", and "Mission: Savage Planet". But none of these games had the same focus on world-building as BIONICLE had. Non-hero, non-villain characters in those games only ever appeared as portraits in cutscenes. In contrast, Greg Farshtey's Hero Factory Secret Mission chapter books have much more world-building, and consequently, more named civilian characters.

As far as sets are concerned, I think perhaps TLG just doesn't see a market for non-hero, non-villain characters. Even in BIONICLE, the secondary characters like Matoran were always equipped for battle from 2004 onward, making them ostensibly no different than hero characters, albeit at a smaller price point. The Turaga, 2001 Matoran, and 2003 Matoran were the closest we ever got to true "civilians": everyone else was typically answering the call of duty in one way or another. And even those early sets were equipped with "tools" that they could use to do battle if the need arose: no set ever depicted a helpless bystander like Daniella Capricorn or even an unarmed supporting character like Nathaniel Zib.

All in all, the only way I think we'll ever see supporting characters like Zib as sets is if they're given more action-oriented roles like field tacticians. And even then, the only reason a role of that kind would not just be given to a hero is if TLG really saw demand for sets at a lower price point.

Haha, this is brilliant! There aren't nearly enough Hero Factory civilian MOCs out there. That shield works wonderfully as a serving tray, and the use of Pyrox's faceplate as a steak is very darkly humorous. The build is not especially complex, but the resulting character is still unquestionably unique. Great work!

Thanks, man. Like his Bio says, Clancy's signature dish is Pyrox Face...the BEST in the galaxy. :D

i suppose you guys are right. Be nice to be able to get ZIB as a Lego Club exclusive or something...

This is pretty awesome. I really think LEGO needs to make civilian sets, maybe like a VIP exclusive or something.

Haha, awesome, great idea ! That Pyrox steak does not seem very tasty. :laugh:

That makes me want to build more civilians characters, thank you, pocketmego ! :D