Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

Maybe I'm blind, maybe I fail at searching, but the old thread seems to be gone. If it IS in fact still around, delete this thread! Otherwise, I figure we can still make use of this topic...Well, at least I can!

------------------------------------------

I have a little bit more to spend on Lego this month than I thought (yay tutoring on the side) and was going to pick up 7939 Cargo Train off of Bricklink. It comes with everything I need to run another train on top of my 7938. It also comes with another IR Remote that I have zero use for, ha. Anyways, I'm wondering if the train people out there think that owning 7938 and 7939 is worth the investment? I think 7939 comes with a lot of track, too - that's a big bonus.

Also...I have Emerald Night and will be ordering Maersk on day one (might be the first set I buy 2 of for holding onto even). I want to be able to power all my trains, but it looks like the only way to be able to power them and run them is to spend ~$75 per train ($50 for the rechargeable battery box, $11 for the motor, $15 for the IR receiver) pre-shipping. Will I be better off just powering 2-3 of them and moving the guts everytime I want to run certain trains? Seems like the best option given the price, but I'm not sure. I do realize I'll need to buy a motor for every train I buy anyways, but the battery box + IR receiver are my biggest concern on investment.

I realize this is primarily train buying related, but I figured it might not hurt to get the topic going right. :laugh:

I don't really know about trains but can't you buy a non rechargeable battery box and put rechargeable batteries in it for less? Now my turn. As I said I'm not really into trains (not because I don't like them, because I don't have enough money or space) Would you recommend buying 8404 or 7938?

Thanks

I don't really know about trains but can't you buy a non rechargeable battery box and put rechargeable batteries in it for less? Now my turn. As I said I'm not really into trains (not because I don't like them, because I don't have enough money or space) Would you recommend buying 8404 or 7938?

Thanks

Good point. :P

As for what you asked - 8404 looks really cool. I'm considering it eventually mainly for all the cool vehicles included. And as for trains! I only recently started to get into them, and the veterans will have their opinions, but holy cow. Trains are the coolest Lego thing I've ever played with. As an adult, playing with the Lego sets just doesn't do it for me anymore - you know, having battles in the Knight's Castle, make believing adventures in my houses, etc. But with the trains, it allows me to build much more creatively in various aspects of Lego building - structures, trains, layouts, etc.

Oh, and doing track layouts is a blast, especially seeing them in action! :)

There are two great sets to look at for starting - 7938 and 7939. Take a peak here to see my initial getting into trains. I own 7938 and have bought a bunch of track off of Bricklink. I'm going to probably grab 7939 off of Bricklink now because I DO want to have the extra track, train, power functions, and "extra stuff" to add to my layout. If you're on the fence and have the funds, 7938 is amazing fun. If, like my topic stats, you're pretty sure you're wanting to get into trains, find a 7939 and snatch it up.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I want to get into trains but I really don't have the funds what with just buying a whole lot of stuff that's now discontinued and with all the police, space and harbour and Harry Potter coming out this summer. I've also 'Design By Me'd' a whole lot of stuff and what with BL orders for minifigs and mocing I really am low on money at the moment default_sad.gif Maybe I'll get 7939 as apparently it's running out in some places and leave 7938, 8404, Emerald Night, Maersk Train, and the new summer cargo train for a while.

Thanks

Yes, I'm pretty sure I want to get into trains but I really don't have the funds what with just buying a whole lot of stuff that's now discontinued and with all the police, space and harbour and Harry Potter coming out this summer. I've also 'Design By Me'd' a whole lot of stuff and what with BL orders for minifigs and mocing I really am low on money at the moment default_sad.gif Maybe I'll get 7939 as apparently it's running out in some places and leave 7938, 8404, Emerald Night, Maersk Train, and the new summer cargo train for a while.

Thanks

Emerald Night will probably go out of production sooner than later. 7939 is getting really hard to find, which is another selling point for me. :)

I am thinking of increasing my Lion Knights/Dragon Knights army.

I definitely want more copies of Prison Carriage Rescue because it comes with 3 minifigs (one lion knight with great helm and special printed torso) and a horse (and a helmet).

Knights Showdown I maybe want because it is the cheapest set with the Dragon Knights Great Helm and special printing. But only 2 minifigs =(.

Prison Tower Rescue has the special lion knight great helm, printing and armor. And horse with horse helmet and barding! Expensive but has much cooler pieces.

King's Castle has an alternate horse barding, and King's torso and crown and armor and tons of awesome castle bricks.

I already have one of each and 2 of the Prison Carriage Rescue. For numbers I will definitely get the Prison Carriage Rescue. But not sure if I should get the other sets to get more of the cooler minifig/accessories and horse barding for cavalry.

So for army builders, would you just go straight for pure numbers and buy the cheapest sets in terms of price to minifig ratio? Or would you spend extra to get more of the uncommon ones at the price of a smaller army.

I am thinking of increasing my Lion Knights/Dragon Knights army.

I definitely want more copies of Prison Carriage Rescue because it comes with 3 minifigs (one lion knight with great helm and special printed torso) and a horse (and a helmet).

Knights Showdown I maybe want because it is the cheapest set with the Dragon Knights Great Helm and special printing. But only 2 minifigs =(.

Prison Tower Rescue has the special lion knight great helm, printing and armor. And horse with horse helmet and barding! Expensive but has much cooler pieces.

King's Castle has an alternate horse barding, and King's torso and crown and armor and tons of awesome castle bricks.

I already have one of each and 2 of the Prison Carriage Rescue. For numbers I will definitely get the Prison Carriage Rescue. But not sure if I should get the other sets to get more of the cooler minifig/accessories and horse barding for cavalry.

So for army builders, would you just go straight for pure numbers and buy the cheapest sets in terms of price to minifig ratio? Or would you spend extra to get more of the uncommon ones at the price of a smaller army.

Personally I would 'Bricklink' the minifigs that I want. Failing that I would go for sheer numbers alone and forget common/uncommon.

Hi,

I want Diagon Alley and I know that if I leave it till the end of the year I WILL regret it. Now I am about to pass up $219 to buy it off of bricklink (I'm in Aus, it is the cheapest I will ever get it haha.) So although it is an amazing set from what I have heard, is it really worth the money?

Thanks

Hi,

I want Diagon Alley and I know that if I leave it till the end of the year I WILL regret it. Now I am about to pass up $219 to buy it off of bricklink (I'm in Aus, it is the cheapest I will ever get it haha.) So although it is an amazing set from what I have heard, is it really worth the money?

Thanks

Personally I'd wait for now. There's a good chance it will appear at retail later in the year, and if Myer have it at a similar price to the imperial flagship you'll be able to get it for less than $200.

It's a very good looking set but lacks playability and only has a few unique figures. I'm leaving it on my list of maybes for now even though I have all of the other current HP sets.

I too would wait, sounds like another phone call to Lego Australia for the tiger to make.

Though I don't agree with Hewman on the playability side of Diagon Alley - just keep adding characters and play stories out to the max ! :grin:

Keep on casting spells ! :wink:

What do you really think the chances of Myer getting it out are though?

See, I am currently going to buy it from the US, so postage is whats pushing the price up.

In the US it's RRP is 150. In AUS it is 269. Now I could ramble on about how ridiculous this is. I mean, it really, really, really is. But instead I will just ask, if Myer ever does get it the what are the chances of the price dropping by $70? I just can't see it happening. I really don't want to miss out on this one and I am worried if I leave it I will miss it.

See, I am currently going to buy it from the US, so postage is whats pushing the price up.

In the US it's RRP is 150. In AUS it is 269. Now I could ramble on about how ridiculous this is. I mean, it really, really, really is. But instead I will just ask, if Myer ever does get it the what are the chances of the price dropping by $70? I just can't see it happening. I really don't want to miss out on this one and I am worried if I leave it I will miss it.

Well the imperial flagship has a RRP of $279, and when Myer first got it I paid $180 for it. Myer is the most likely candidate I reckon as David Jones tends to get the modular buildings. Then again there is always a chance it will never make it to retail in Aus. For me as my lego budget isn't infinite, I decided to get Pharaoh's quest sets at a great price from www.bn.com and am then taking the chance that I may be able to get Diagon Alley cheap, if I can't I don't think I'll regret it.

The bottom line is it's up to you, no-one here can make up your mind for you. $219 seems a reasonable price for that set for an Australian, but personally I think I can make my lego dollar go further with other sets. Then again if you aren't excited by anything much coming out this year, you should grab it.

Edited by hewman

Hi

I want Diagon alley a lot, but because my economical situation is not the best so I tought I'll wait for sometime, till I have more money again. But in your case if you have enough money and you want it, go and do it!

I bought it a Week ago and i'm totally happy. Its just awesome, it was worth the 150€ I payed. I love Fred and George, all the details, the stickers and so on. I yer a harry potter fan, buy it.

TJ as a fellow Australian I feel your pain. I got it a few weeks ago from a Bricklink shop in Austria for total $Au234 (125 euros for the set only). It was registered delivered included in this cost which was about $58 in this price. This set is 2.4kg, but with packing etc you can bet it will be about 4kg which is heavy for air freight costs. I don't think you will get it any cheaper than that unless you are overseas and can get it without delivery. It is well worth it and looks great. I have about 85% of all the HP sets on display and this is the best one yet. I have added in a slightly improved modified sets, knockturn Alley, Quality Quidditch supplies and Hogsmead Station and train in this group set display and it is great.

TJ, Just do it. If you can get it at a reasonable price which with the Ozzie $ so good you will only lose a few bucks and that is just the delivery costs stuffing it up. I got my set for $Au169 and delivery put it up to $Au234. Myer will list it for $269 and if you get it for say 20% off on sale there is still not that much money in it. Plus you have to add the petrol cost etc in going to the shop and buying it. In the long run these sets never really lose value as people will always want to buy them in the future. One example is Star Wars Cloud City. You need almost $600 to buy this now. Again.... DO IT.

Edited by cratra

Personally I would 'Bricklink' the minifigs that I want. Failing that I would go for sheer numbers alone and forget common/uncommon.

I would love to Bricklink but I get paranoid with buying used product. And the stores usually only sell like 1 of the minifig, The ones that sell in higher quantity tend to charge higher (probably because they know people will pay the higher price for the convenience in buying in bulk).

But yea, I think you are right and I will just go for the most minifigs/price ratio. I ordered 5 prison carriage rescues and a Fairytale and Historic Minifigure set. Not too many castle minifigs in that one, but any unused torsos can be swapped out with my dwarves (I have around 20) so that means I can free up those viking/crown knight torsos. And I can always put armor pieces on some of the non-castle torsos. Might give me rainbow knights though.

If you buy from a repulable dealer, buying online is pretty safe. I've used ebay for multiple purchases(lego and non-lego) and I've only had a couple minor issues(Guy didn't send out an item and I filed a report to get it back and when I had an item mix up[got a ps2 controller instead of a GC memory card]) but those were sorted out fast.

As far as lego related issues, none to date and i'm tracking an auction now.

Quidditch Match vs. Qudditch Harry magnet set and the upcoming Forbidden forest set

I'm looking for a last go at the legendary Lego Harry Potter theme which I predict will end this year. I know I won't buy both sets listed, I just need to pick one. The latter one comes with an assortment of minifigures, but Quidditch Match has the multiple Quidditch outfits and actual Quidditch equipment. Thanks.

Maybe I'm blind, maybe I fail at searching, but the old thread seems to be gone. If it IS in fact still around, delete this thread!

No, it's not your fault. Somebody merged it into a topic rather than the other way round. Thus it became lost. But it's back now... :laugh:

No, it's not your fault. Somebody merged it into a topic rather than the other way round. Thus it became lost. But it's back now... :laugh:

Aye - thanks. I don't feel as dumb now! :laugh:

I was thinking of buying either the Lego Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle 4842 or the Medieval Market Village 10193. The Maket Village has more pieces at 1601, which are smaller than 4842 pieces, and is cheaper and for 12+years . But the Hogwarts castle has only 1290 pieces, more expensive and for 7-14years.

So which one should I get?! *huh*

Please answer, thanks

We have a topic for this here.

I'd go with the MMV. It's a great value of parts to price, with some rarer elements and colors.

We have a topic for this here.

I'd go with the MMV. It's a great value of parts to price, with some rarer elements and colors.

Thanks Brickdoctor.

Unless you are buying it for the HP mini-figs, I'd say MMV is the way to go. I have a set coming in the mail right now, and I've been wanting it for over a year and a half since I first saw it at the LEGO store. The buildings look great and could be used in Kingdoms or City collections, plus it comes with lots of great parts like the cows, food, etc.

Unless you are buying it for the HP mini-figs, I'd say MMV is the way to go. I have a set coming in the mail right now, and I've been wanting it for over a year and a half since I first saw it at the LEGO store. The buildings look great and could be used in Kingdoms or City collections, plus it comes with lots of great parts like the cows, food, etc.

Thanks ver much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I hope you enjoy your MMV set.

Okay, I am working on building a small Royal Naboo Security Force. So far I have one 7124 Flash Speeder, one 7660 N-1 Naboo Starfighter, and one extra N-1 Pilot.

I can either get one more 7124 Flash Speeder, a couple Flash Speeder Officers, or a few N-1 Pilots.

What do you think would be the best choice?