Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

Got back into Lego's in the last year by building several of the Technic vehicles. Now I'm wanting to start building a Lego City in the basement. Planning to start with all the current modulars. Have the Brick Bank on the way and am planning to get the Palace Cinema next for sure. After that, are there any of them in danger of being retired soon? Currently planning to get them in this order: Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant, Detective's Office then Pet Shop.

Thanks!

Got back into Lego's in the last year by building several of the Technic vehicles. Now I'm wanting to start building a Lego City in the basement. Planning to start with all the current modulars. Have the Brick Bank on the way and am planning to get the Palace Cinema next for sure. After that, are there any of them in danger of being retired soon? Currently planning to get them in this order: Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant, Detective's Office then Pet Shop.

Thanks!

None of the sets in your order are in danger of been retired soon (Some of them been tagged "Hard to Find" in Lego Shop website, but that didn't mean that it'll been retired earlier). But however, all sets you mentioned here are all excellent and looks great even as a display item.

Should I get Brainiac Attack, Iron Skull Sub Invasion, or the Hulkbuster set?

Let me first offer a disclaimer that I haven't built any of these sets. With that said, I'd suggest Brainiac Attack, if only because the availability of the other two isn't as limited — especially the second, since it's brand-new. I make this suggestion because I've been trying to track this set down (mainly for Martian Manhunter, really) but have come up dry... If you can get it without issue and at MSRP, get it sooner rather than later!

I really want a Rey minifigure, should I buy the speeder or just the figure? Because the figure is like 12 bucks and at that point I might as well buy the whole kit

Let me first offer a disclaimer that I haven't built any of these sets. With that said, I'd suggest Brainiac Attack, if only because the availability of the other two isn't as limited — especially the second, since it's brand-new. I make this suggestion because I've been trying to track this set down (mainly for Martian Manhunter, really) but have come up dry... If you can get it without issue and at MSRP, get it sooner rather than later!

I was having the same problem but I got lucky and found it at Target yesterday (I'm in Utah, but I'm not sure if they have Target where you are at).

I really want a Rey minifigure, should I buy the speeder or just the figure? Because the figure is like 12 bucks and at that point I might as well buy the whole kit

I'd go for the whole set. I got and built it yesterday, and it's a pretty nice build and it has a lot of dark red.

Hi all first post of many hopefully! I have just got back into lego about a year ago.

And I don't know what to get next I currently collect the modular buildings and have Palace cinema, Detectives office and Parisian Restaurant. I also have a number of Star Wars sets including the AT AT, Red Five UCS X wing and Mos Eisley Cantina and want to get more detailed UCS sets. I also have ecto 1 and some lego movie sets.

So the choices are

10218 Pet Shop - My least favourite looking modular and I prefer the more detailed interiors of the newer sets but I have seen it on offer at £100 and it will probably be retiring soon so I do not want to regret not adding it to my collection.

75060 Slave 1 - Looks like a really fun build but not a massive fan of the ship design (I think it looks like a giant iron) but comes with Bobba Fett and Han Solo

75095 TIE Fighter - Classic looking ship instantly recognisable to anybody and will look good on display but build looks like it might be boring and repetitive and im not convinced its good value for money.

75059 Sandcrawler - Love the sandcrawler from Star Wars come with loads of cool minifigures droids and moving technic parts. Not sure if the build would be that much fun with all the brown? High price but will probably be retired soon?

75827 Ghost busters fire house - Iconic looking set that I think will be a future classic, comes with loads of cool minifigures and I think it will complement my modular buildings well, but not a big ghostbusters fan and dont know if I can justify the price.

So what do you think?

Heres a picture of my collection :classic:

IMG_9548.jpg

@JonnyYeti -- if you are trying to collect the modulars, I would recommend the Pet Shop. I'm not much of a fan of Star Wars LEGO, and the Ghost Buster's headquarters looks very big, and as you said, costly.

I enjoyed building the Pet Shop, I don't think the interiors are that important anyway for just a display piece.

IHTH

Andy D

On the other hand, the Ghost Busters headquarters is of a size and detail level that it could easily be added to your modular row. On the other hand, it won't be retiring soon, so the pet shop is probably the better choice.

@JonnyYeti -- if you are trying to collect the modulars, I would recommend the Pet Shop. I'm not much of a fan of Star Wars LEGO, and the Ghost Buster's headquarters looks very big, and as you said, costly.

I enjoyed building the Pet Shop, I don't think the interiors are that important anyway for just a display piece.

IHTH

Andy D

Thanks for the advice ordered the pet shop I figured I wont loose anything if I build it and decide I'm not a fan I can sell it on in. I enjoy the interiors as much as the exteriors so I am toying with the idea of modding the 2nd and 3rd floors of both buildings in the style of Emmits apartment as thats what got me back into lego and I have a few lego movie sets I enjoy owning!

On the other hand, the Ghost Busters headquarters is of a size and detail level that it could easily be added to your modular row. On the other hand, it won't be retiring soon, so the pet shop is probably the better choice.

Decided to hold of on the ghostbusters HQ for now as like you say it hopefully wont be retiring soon. I am going to order the slave 1 as well as the pet shop once it is back in stock on the website :)

Thanks for your help guys!

Edited by JonnyYeti

So, I have $90 in gift cards. I'm not sure if I should get Gorilla Grodd goes bananas and Sandman and Rhino Team-Up, or one of them and Green Lantern vs Sinerstro, and some smaller spider man sets. Any advice?

I haven't heard good things about the Rhino and Sandman Supervillain Team-Up set, honestly. If you still want to get it, you're probably better off waiting for a sale. As far as other Spider-Man sets, did you have anything in mind (perhaps from previous years)?

I haven't heard good things about the Rhino and Sandman Supervillain Team-Up set, honestly. If you still want to get it, you're probably better off waiting for a sale. As far as other Spider-Man sets, did you have anything in mind (perhaps from previous years)?

I was going to get the Doc Ock set, but it was sold out.

I'd get the Morlas/Carnage set if I go that route.

Yeah, I believe it's retired. I have that one. The Carnage set is on my list of future purchases, so I can't speak for it. In general, I'd recommend focusing on at least one large set since the smaller ones will be easier to come by. Are you ruling out Batman sets for this particular spend?

Yeah, I believe it's retired. I have that one. The Carnage set is on my list of future purchases, so I can't speak for it. In general, I'd recommend focusing on at least one large set since the smaller ones will be easier to come by. Are you ruling out Batman sets for this particular spend?

No. Have any ideas?

Edited by LegoPercyJ

Incredibly tempted with the UC Slave 1, Parisian Restaurant and the SImpsons House and Kwik-e-mart. I could get any of them right now for 150€, more or less going with used sets, but I can't get them all at once. I imagine that Slave 1 will be around for another year, same with the rest. I like the colorfulness of the Simpsons sets, even have some of the minifigs.

The important bit here is that I have a seven year old who likes to build and play. He's has his creator and city sets but we both like to build together. Don't want to get him into complex builds since he is just started to create his own stuff instead of just following instructions. The Simpsons sets look like the more play friendly and not overcomplicated. The Kwik-e-mart looks the most colorful of them all but it also has a ton of tiny pieces so I don't know what to do. The house looks a bit boring in comparison bt more play friendly. :wacko:

Any lego experts and/or lego parents care to help?

So, I have $90 in gift cards. I'm not sure if I should get Gorilla Grodd goes bananas and Sandman and Rhino Team-Up, or one of them and Green Lantern vs Sinerstro, and some smaller spider man sets. Any advice?

I'd almost wait on getting any Marvel stuff right now unless you really want Carnage. The reason I say this is because there seems to be a lot of really good Civil War sets coming that will be more bang for your buck.

For DC, Grodd Goes Bananas is a good start or maybe one of the Batman Vs Supes sets, like the small one that has both main characters.

...maybe one of the Batman Vs Supes sets, like the small one that has both main characters.

That would be my suggestion also, although that too is one I have yet to purchase.

It may or may not be retired, but if you can get your hands on it, I can recommend The Penguin Face-off (which I do own). Since you're thinking of collecting Batman sets from scratch, this would function as an ideal starter set of sorts.

Another option could be Batman & Super Angry Kitty Attack, which isn't strictly DC material, but it's a good value-priced set if you don't mind that there isn't much of a build to speak of.

If you want to get both Robin and Batman, the new Batboat Harbor Pursuit might be of interest, as it's the cheapest way to get them in the same set (aside from the Juniors Defend the Batcave set).

Feel free to ask if you're still undecided.

I visitied the store and found Joker Stramroller from 2014. Right now I'm leaning towards it, as Joker, Batman, Robin, Batgirl, and a nice goon. Right now I am focusing on getting sets I missed out on before I was an AFOL, so I think I'll be getting that.

That's a great set for the minifigure selection. I found my copy on clearance at Target last year.

Good idea focusing on sets that are about to be retired (if not already). If you can get it on sale, even better.

Good idea focusing on sets that are about to be retired (if not already). If you can get it on sale, even better.

Well, I do have a member card, and that provides a 10% discount.

Joker's Steamroller is a good set if you buy it on deep discount only. Lately I've seen it at various targets for $20, and even then I think it's a bit much! Granted I got my for free from a contest, but still. Like the Milano, Lego must have way over produced it, since it's still everywhere. Although unlike the Milano, it's just a terrible set.

On the other DC sets, for starting a collection now, I would suggest Gorilla Grodd/Bananas the most. It's really not a Batman set per say, but it includes some of the best DC figures, the best DC Bigfig, and a sweet invisible jet. The Bat-Mech is a total throwaway but the Banana cart makes up for it. I'd also suggest the Green Lantern set, which is spectacular.

Really I'd suggest passing on the Sandman set. It's a $40 set for minifigures only. The build is a complete throwaway and it's very incomplete. I only got it because I kinda have to and I like the Rhino design--which many people either love or hate. Carnage is a way better set, plus it's only $12.