Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

Right now I'm looking for a set in the $20-$30 range. I've heard good things about the Lone Ranger Stagecoach Escape and LEGO Movie Ice Cream Machine, but are there any others that deliver good value? Any theme is fine with me, as long as it isn't Chima, TMNT, or Friends.

P.S. Right now I have the Unexpected Gathering and Goblin King Battle, so I might buy a LotR or Hobbit set to expand my collection.

It will depend on how you define "value". But honestly the LR stagecoach is superb no matter how you slice it. 5 Minifigs, 3 of the new style horses. Lots of new or useful detail parts like Red's hair and hat, the guns, etc. and a surprisingly good build in the stagecoach itself.

If you are looking for something more Middle Earth, then probably the Mirkwood Elf Army. The build is sort of plain. But 6 Minifigs and a Warg make up for that.

I'll second what Faefrost said (above) about the LR stagecoach. For a kit of its size it's a neat little, complete build whether you have any interest in LR or not. Between parts, horses, figures, an interesting built, and a playable and displayable end product, I think it's a hard value to beat. I still haven't seen the film but have had the stagecoach on display since the day I bought it.

Right now I'm looking for a set in the $20-$30 range. I've heard good things about the Lone Ranger Stagecoach Escape and LEGO Movie Ice Cream Machine, but are there any others that deliver good value? Any theme is fine with me, as long as it isn't Chima, TMNT, or Friends.

P.S. Right now I have the Unexpected Gathering and Goblin King Battle, so I might buy a LotR or Hobbit set to expand my collection.

Well if you're into The Lego Movie, I'd reccomend Bad Cop's Pursuit. I don't have it myself but I love it and I'm sure others will agree with me.

You could also go for some of the new 'Great Vehicles' range from either Star Wars or City. The Auto Transporter, Jedi Interceptor, Airport Fire Truck and General Grievious' Wheel Bike all look good.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Debating whether to buy Parisian Restaurant or Simpsons House.

In the Simpsons thread, someone said the House is coming out January 17th for VIPs, and I have enough money to buy one or the other.

Which do I get?

-Sci

Restaurant, 100%. It's an instant classic. :)

Oh the Parisian Restaurant - why would you not?!

I'm keen on building an Adventure Time MOC - bit of a challenge - and will be picking up plenty of the new Lego Movie Cloud Cuckoo Palace, but does anyone have any ideas of other sets that could be useful? I'm salvaging some bits from my Friends collection, but probably will need plenty more bright green and medium brown for the guys tree house, and I'm going to build Princess Bubblegum's lab pretty quick too so sciency stuff? (I have some bits from Olivia's Lab and CMF science lady, but not nearly enough!)

Also, sciency isn't really a word - but it's the only thing that comes close to describing the 'science' scribbled on that printed black board!

Hi,

I just found a store typically aiming at collectors and they sell every city modular except Market Street. I am wondering which one I should go for. I don't have any of them yet. This store even has Green Grocer and Cafe Corner but the prices are just ridiculous (at least 1700$).

I am thinking of getting one that is expected to (or already is) very hard to get before the price rises to the levels of GG and CC. Is perhaps Fire Brigade the best option? I see the that Lego's online shop doesn't have this in stock (at the moment). Or does the Lego community expect some of the others currently available to become more sought after and more expensive in the future?

In the Simpsons thread, someone said the House is coming out January 17th for VIPs, and I have enough money to buy one or the other.

Which do I get?

-Sci

Simpsons house looks like it could be the best Lego house ever made and I know it has not even come out yet but when its gone it will be sort after by both Lego and Simpson fans. Edited by SMC

Being a Tolkien fan, (well duh) I would say the Council of Elrond set is a very good display piece. Also it would get you a Frodo and a Gimli. Mirkwood Elf Army has a less iconic (actually it wasn't in the movie) build but has very good minifigs.

Which do I get?

-Sci

Restaurant. Totally.

Now I have a question.

I have around $200 to spend. I definitely am getting Lake-town Chase (it's the only LOTR/Hobbit set I don't have) but I also might get a second LOTR Black Gate or the TMNT Baxter set before it retires. (When do you think it will?) Also I want a Lego Movie set. I have my eye on the Bad Cop set and the Super Cycle Chase.

What should I get?

Which do I get?

-Sci

Simpsons House. Period.

My question: I know it's early, but I will be going to the Lego store on May 4th. I'll be picking up the Simpsons House, but I want to get a Star Wars set(s) in order to get TC-4. So what SW set(s) for £50 should I get? I'm not into CW, Microfighters or planet sets and it can be from 2012/13/14.

Edited by Sir Brickalot

I love this topic, hope I help someone out today

Which do I get?

-Sci

The Simpsons house retires December 2015, while the Parisian Restaurant will more than likely be around until late 2016, or late 2017. Yeah. Also, the Simpsons house is spot on and has a great interior, and over 4 rooms! Each with beds, and a hallway! Lego houses are almost always just a 2 floor shell of nothing, if we're lucky, we get one room, never with a bed. Here we get a hallway, 4 beds, a garage with room for both a car and a workshop, AND each room is accessible by a door, Lego houses are always so awkwardly missing doors to rooms, and this house looks like, well an actual house! You have more time to get the restaurant and the aftermarket prices for the Simpsons house (I can assure you) will be WAY higher than that of the PR.

Now I have a question.

I have around $200 to spend. I definitely am getting Lake-town Chase (it's the only LOTR/Hobbit set I don't have) but I also might get a second LOTR Black Gate or the TMNT Baxter set before it retires. (When do you think it will?) Also I want a Lego Movie set. I have my eye on the Bad Cop set and the Super Cycle Chase.

What should I get?

I don't know who will do this, but I hope someone does put up a thread for retiring sets. Say a set came out 2012, it won't retire until late 2013 (January 2014 basically) If a set came out (like say Baxter's robot rampage?) in 2013, it won't retire until say January 2015 (or late 2014). You have about 1 year to get the robot rampage, my motto is to always get a soon to be retiring set over the new ones. Why? You'll have 2 years to collect a new one, but almost always just 1 (or less) to collect the old one. I'd go for Baxter's or really any 2013 set at this point. And if your lucky, get something from 2012, you never get opportunities like that (at least not often) so go for it. Have fun with you TMNT set, I own it and must say that it is great!

Simpsons House. Period.

My question: I know it's early, but I will be going to the Lego store on May 4th. I'll be picking up the Simpsons House, but I want to get a Star Wars set(s) in order to get TC-4. So what SW set(s) for £50 should I get? I'm not into CW, Microfighters or planet sets and it can be from 2012/13/14.

No clone wars? Pitty, but I do suggest gathering up just 10 more euro's before the trip to get the Rancor pit, or if anything just get the Duel on Geonosis set. Personally, I'd go for the Rancor, though the minifigs in 75017 are visually stunning, the design of the Rancor pit (as well as the actual Rancor) are preferable, hope I helped!

Also, in a little regard to something I said earlier (possible 2 pages ago), I was debating on whether to get Jabba's Palace or the Rancor pit. I got Jabba's palace for Christmas and plan on putting sets 10228, 9467, and 9444 from Monster fighters on lay-away and hold off on getting the Epic Dragon battle. Why? Because that way I don't miss out on Monster fighters (nearly died when I thought I did, I know I'm a wuss :cry_sad: ) and I get to still own the Epic Dragon battle, how you may ask? Because that set and 9449 won't be out until 2015! I love it when sets get a 3 year run, especially when it's one I really wanted :classic: so now I have all year to get the Epic battle, and for some reason, Lego decided to keep the Samurai Mech and Lasha's fang cycle available for an extra month, meaning that almost all the 2012 Ninjago sets got retired but 4, and 2 are "retiring soon". But I should be getting the Samurai Mech sometime next week (or this week!). So a tip of the hat and no wag of the finger to those who wished me luck!

Good day to all and to all a good day!

Edited by Freddy Bricker

^How are you so sure on the timelines? Monster Fighters Zombie set only had a 2 month release window, so there is no guarantee to how long sets will be available. Some of the larger exclusives you can expect to last longer, but with all of these sets out now you aren't guaranteed a 2 year window. LOTR wave 1 has been discontinued for a while and that only came out summer 2012, so it mostly had a 1 year run (not including the hard to find Orc Forge).

I think Harry Potter Diagon Alley exclusive only lasted about 1.5 years even though it was a D2C exclusive which normally last 2 years minimum...

Anyway, back on topic..

I was lucky enough to receive some money from my wife's stepfather's mom for Christmas. She sent out money to every member of the family, so that was nice of her. With that $125, I've spent probably close to $50 or better on LEGO Movie figures, so with the remaining $75, I'm torn on either some massive Bricklink orders for Green Grocer/Cafe Corner, or some of the new Super Hero sets. I will do both eventually, but I guess which to first...

^How are you so sure on the timelines? Monster Fighters Zombie set only had a 2 month release window, so there is no guarantee to how long sets will be available. Some of the larger exclusives you can expect to last longer, but with all of these sets out now you aren't guaranteed a 2 year window. LOTR wave 1 has been discontinued for a while and that only came out summer 2012, so it mostly had a 1 year run (not including the hard to find Orc Forge).

I think Harry Potter Diagon Alley exclusive only lasted about 1.5 years even though it was a D2C exclusive which normally last 2 years minimum...

Anyway, back on topic..

I was lucky enough to receive some money from my wife's stepfather's mom for Christmas. She sent out money to every member of the family, so that was nice of her. With that $125, I've spent probably close to $50 or better on LEGO Movie figures, so with the remaining $75, I'm torn on either some massive Bricklink orders for Green Grocer/Cafe Corner, or some of the new Super Hero sets. I will do both eventually, but I guess which to first...

Most sets have that type of life span, I'm sure through observation. Perhaps my 2 years may have seen so much, and yes some sets have longer or shorter lifespans, but it USUALLY goes as follows:

Set comes out 2011, SHOULD be retired in 2012 (late 2012)

Set comes out 2012, SHOULD be retired in 2013 (late 2013) and most retailers don't get rid of their sets on the very last day of the year, it's unrealistic, so USUALLY they tend to stick around for another month, hence giving them a "2 year" life span, but yes most of them are technically 1 year life spans. Also, the Zombies was a special release and not part of the regular wave and most sets like this get different life spans. Exclusives, D2C's, late releases and separate releases (like the Haunted House) last longer or shorter. And Lord of the Ring just so happened to expire December 2013, making them have a regular length of availability. Most sets last 1 year for example (January 2012-to January) before they stop having in-store sales (though Amazon and other online sites usually have sales for spread-across themes and year releases) and then they usually get discontinued 2 year after there release. Don't take me for a fool, these rules usually apply to most retiring set, I'd assume someone collecting Lego for as long as you have (according to the date of when you signed up) would know more about retiring sets, no offense but that's just the way I see it.

Anyway, back on topic..

Some sets will sell out before their planned EOL, and will not be subject to another production run. Most retailer exclusives typically fall under this category. Particularly Target and Walmart exclusives as they do not appear to reorder them. TRU may?

D2C life cycles can vary wildly. 2 years is the norm. But some last substantially less (what was the life span on the UCS B Wing?) And some have such steady sales that they will garner life past their original planned EOL(Fire Brigade, Death Star). I'll be surprised if the Haunted House makes it all the way to 2 years, just because I don't think they will rerun a set from a retired theme and I doubt current stock will last until September.

Diagonal Alley disappeared from store shelves more suddenly than most because it had a hard date. Lego's license contract for HP expired, so any remaining product had to come off the shelves. On a specific date. I think it was the only large D2C set to face such an issue?

As far as your "which to do first?" Personally I would probably get more lasting enjoyment out of Bricklinking a GG or CC. But look at the Superhero sets carefully. Honestly most of the builds are kinda meh. But double check to see if any have a good assortment of parts for the Modulars. This way you get both the figs, and collect parts for your projects.

Which do I get?

-Sci

Came into this thread, was going to ask the exact same question. Two ridiculously nice sets for me.

Came into this thread, was going to ask the exact same question. Two ridiculously nice sets for me.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Parisian Restaurant. Granted I have that one in hand and the build and details are simply superb. Simpsons looks like a simpler less detailed building. But its a close call either way.

Sorry, in addition to the two sets (Parisian Restaurant and Simpsons House), I also want to add Metalbeard's Sea Cow from the Lego Movie sets into the mix. Those 3 are my tops for this year currently. My prediction is that the Sea Cow is gonna be least favoured by those who respond to me, but those 3 are pretty close for me personally.

Sorry, in addition to the two sets (Parisian Restaurant and Simpsons House), I also want to add Metalbeard's Sea Cow from the Lego Movie sets into the mix. Those 3 are my tops for this year currently. My prediction is that the Sea Cow is gonna be least favoured by those who respond to me, but those 3 are pretty close for me personally.

I would go for the Simpsons house, for too many reasons I'm too lazy to explain, just look at above posts to understand why.

I'm more of a Modular builder, so the Parisian Restaurant wins hands down. Even though I love the Simpsons, and I love pirate ships, I'd rather have the building. I don't love the Sea Cow set. It doesn't look like the type of ship I'd want to display, even though it does look wacky and fun, just not what I would want. The Simpson's house is really neat with the interior details they showed, so that should always be in the running I think, but it isn't at the top for me.

Keep in mind pricing (in USD since that is what I know). Parisian Restaurant $160, Simpson's House $199, and I heard from a LEGO store manager the Sea Cow will be $250, but they haven't had a press release yet I don't think. So it also depends on how much you can spend on these sets.

And thanks Faefrost for the response. I'm sure I will end up bricklinking first. I have all the rest of the Super Hero sets, so I know the sets are meh, but I love those figures. Maybe I'll wait until I see a good sale on them.

Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere (am new here!) but am wondering what people would recommend to get large quantities of bricks suitable for modular MOC-ing? I don't have any set design to follow and am interested in bulk value purchases to start a part collection. What I'd like to do is have a ton of random pieces and sit down and build a modular building from scratch. Any particular specific sets I should look at or is bulk on eBay / BL the way to go?

Though the majority of you said Parisian Restaurant, I've decided on the Simpsons House, as I just got the money to get it!

Sorry. :tongue: Thanks everyone!

-Sci

Hi. I'm new here and I am just getting back into Legos. I bought a few small sets such as Mountain Hut and Beach House, but I am looking for bigger more complicated sets. I am into the Lego City/Creator, so the Parisian Restaurant caught my eye, so did the Pet Shop and Town Hall, but the interior of the Town Hall looks empty. What sets would you guys recommend? Thanks! Looking forward to posting here.

If you like a build that goes up quickly and more straightforward but plenty of pieces town hall is great. But out of the building sets your right it has the least small/interior detail. If you want lots of interior detail and like small bits Parisian Restaurant is good.

Pet shop is just cute and probably a good balance between the two and maybe a good place to start.

If you like creator/Start Wars have a look at R2D2 he is very satisfying to build and is a great display piece also without taking up to much room.