Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

You do realize the 41999 is no longer available for purchase at the Lego site or store right?

The unimog is a good purchase. Lots of good parts, and the model is huge!

If you can get 41999, then do so. They're both great sets but 41999 has had a very limited run, whereas the Unimog will probably still be available for a while yet.

Managed to snag a 41999 set at my Lego Store today, thanks people. I know the Unimog's functions are nice too, but the fact this is an exclusive and the radio control for the entire vehicle, plus seeing it plow through things on Youtube sold me. Oh, and having it available in the first place of course.

Good for you. I'm surprised there were any left anywhere. As far as I know, S@H sold out that first day and I know my local store (>3 hour drive) sold out the first day also.

I'm thinking of buying the Umbaran 75013 set but I don't know if it's worth the price. It's about 500RMB (~81 USD). I might be lucky and find it at the some Lego stores here in town but usually they are much higher than the website I use.

I'm still not quite sure if I really want it though. The minifigs that come with the set look awesome and the vehicle looks pretty sweet. Can anyone shed some light onto what I will be buying? Pros, cons, that kind of stuff.

I'm thinking of buying the Umbaran 75013 set but I don't know if it's worth the price. It's about 500RMB (~81 USD). I might be lucky and find it at the some Lego stores here in town but usually they are much higher than the website I use.

I'm still not quite sure if I really want it though. The minifigs that come with the set look awesome and the vehicle looks pretty sweet. Can anyone shed some light onto what I will be buying? Pros, cons, that kind of stuff.

Here's a review I found in SW that might help: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77039&hl=75013

Amazon LEGO discount party! Woo!

So, I've discovered exciting £7.00 off discounts on Amazon's LEGO store. So, which of these sets do you think is best worth picking up for the interestingly low price of £13?

• 76000: Arctic Batman VS. Mister Freeze
  • 76006: Iron Man Extremis Sea Port Battle
  • 79107: Comanche Camp
  • 75015: Corporate Alliance Tank Droid

I love the looks of the Artic Batman and Mister Freeze minifigs in 76000, and the Iron Man + War Machine in 76006 look great too. If I have the budget, I would get those 2.

• 76000: Arctic Batman VS. Mister Freeze
  • 76006: Iron Man Extremis Sea Port Battle
  • 79107: Comanche Camp
  • 75015: Corporate Alliance Tank Droid

It all really comes down to which mini figs you want the most from these sets to be honest. I have all four of the sets and none of them were what I would call a great building experience. I would say of the four the Artic Batman set was the best overall build. I really like the Iron Patriot fig but the rest of the set was pretty generic. I love the Jango Fett fig but again the rest of the set did nothing for me. The comanche camp would be my last choice unless you just really want the figs but even then I would wait and try to get the stagecoach at a discount as it is a much better set. The camp set was the worst of the bunch in the LR line in my opinion.

If I have the budget, do you think I should get the 42000 Grand Prix Racer or the 42008 Service Truck? They're the same price. I saw the Grand Prix Racer on display at TRU, it's kind of nice, but I don't know. I like the 42008 due to all the functions.

9468: Vampyre Castle

75020: Jabba’s Sail Barge

7965: Millennium Falcon

I love the Mf theme and I own the HH ans some small sets. The castle is gorgeous but minifigs are similar to the HH. I am also an OT fan. I have the jabba palace + rencor and the desert skiff, so the barge is logical, but I am a little bit disappointed with this model, the minifigs are great. The falcon is legendary, the most expensive of this 3 set and maybe the first to be retired. I am also a little bit disappointe with the choice of minifigs and lack of details. So...any advice?

I have the Vampyre Castle and the Millennium Falcon, both are great sets. The castle has some interesting portions of the build that separate it from most of the Fantasy castles I've built, I think it is probably closer to a Harry Potter style build if you've built any of those. The Falcon though is in a class of its own. For a while my son was very into LEGO Star Wars, so we built a lot of sets. When building any of the various shuttles (basically anything bigger than a fighter), all too often to achieve the correct form the interior and durability are sacrificed. Not so with the Falcon. It looks great, has a ton of interior space for playability, and is very swooshable, it doesn't fall apart if you look at it wrong.

Unfortunately I can't compare it to the sail barge, but on looks alone I think the Falcon wins. Not sure on durability, playability, or build.

If I have the budget, do you think I should get the 42000 Grand Prix Racer or the 42008 Service Truck? They're the same price. I saw the Grand Prix Racer on display at TRU, it's kind of nice, but I don't know. I like the 42008 due to all the functions.

I would go with the Grand Pix Racer because it looks great on display.

October - I'd recommend the Falcon for sure. It makes a great display piece or playable ship. I didn't have any SW figures when I bought it so it was a nice addition for me. I don't have the castle, but loved the HH. I opted for the house over the castle even though I had a chance to get the castle half off. The barge looks okay and I will probably get it eventually, but I'd choose MF this go round.

October - I'd recommend the Falcon for sure. It makes a great display piece or playable ship. I didn't have any SW figures when I bought it so it was a nice addition for me. I don't have the castle, but loved the HH. I opted for the house over the castle even though I had a chance to get the castle half off. The barge looks okay and I will probably get it eventually, but I'd choose MF this go round.

You have a good point there. The MF may not be around for long and if it does go it will be increase in price.

Hi, should I go for the MF or Arkam Asylum?

Millennium Falcon:

Luke and leia and Han redesign

Very nice interior and hyperdrive

Likely to go out of stock soon

Arkham Asylum:

Lots of new figures

Lots of playability

Detailed interior

Go for the MF because that set would be retired alot sooner than the batman one. In fact I wouldnt be surprised that this is the last year for the MF as lego makes room for the new star wars sets.

Which modular set?

I have been considering getting one of the modular sets for some time but haven't wanted to spend such a large sum on one set. Having seen the new parisian cafe set today I want to use the excuse of Christmas to get my daughters one of the sets. They are 9 and 6 and love Lego - they have a few Lego Friends sets and a few other ones including some of the creator houses. I was thinking of getting the Pet Shop one as I think they would enjoy it and it could fit in with their Friends sets but also it looks like one that may be retired soon. If the set works out then i may get some of the other ones. Would the Pet Shop be the best one to plunge into?

So I'm planning on a big purchase while double VIP points are in effect and am really leaning towards the haunted house and a modular town kit. The cinema interests me because I'm a bit of a movie nut and a huge car nut- the car that comes with it would be a big bonus, that thing is sweet! Any reason to go with another modular town kit, and are there any other exceptional kits in that size/price range that I might consider over the haunted house? I like some variety, but I could do two modular town kits if there's another aside from the cinema that's really exceptional.

RednWhite - Any modular will be worth the money. The pet shop is nicely done and probably a good gift for smaller girls. However, the fire brigade and grand emporium are retiring before that one. So consider that. I think both of those were times to be leaving this year. Each set had a lot of great features. My first was the fire brigade and it is still my favorite even though I have no affinity for firefighters. Probably just because it was my first is why it is my favorite.

ep3_lol - you can't go wrong with the haunted house. It is beautiful once together and a very fun build experience. I'm surprised you like the cinema so much since most people are saying how disappointing it is. But if that will be your first maybe that is why you aren't swayed (you don't have 'better' sets to compare it against). The car could definitely be improved too, but that isn't too day overall the set looks good. I plan on getting all of the modular, so they all have redeeming qualities. The Vienna did just come out this year, so grand emporium, fire brigade, and pet shop will be going away sooner. So consider that.

I took the plunge this morning and ordered the Grand Emporium over the Pet Shop and Fire Station - I think my daughters will have just as much fun with it as the Pet Shop. With double points saving me £15 and the free Christmas set thrown in, I almost convinced myself I would be poorer if i didn't buy it!

The Grand Emporium was my first modular, in fact I finally put it together yesterday. My five year old daughter took to it right away and has had a lot of fun playing with it. So far I've overheard a wedding party shopping for both wedding atire and dinnerware, a little boy shopping at the Toy Store, construction crews making some rennovations, and a visit from Chima's Cragger. The only complaint is that the modular format doesn't lend itself well to play with the four sides enclosed.

From my standpoint, the build was okay, but not my favorite set ever. Since I haven't built any other modulars I can't compare it, but the techniques used didn't wow me like some other sets have. There are also some very repetitive steps used in the build, and aligning the pieces in some steps will leave those who like nice straight edges frustrated. Those were minor gripes though, overall I love the finished model and love the parts in the set. Even if you decide you don't like it, the abundance of tan bricks, large plates, and windows make this set a great value. I'm now contemplating whether I should leave the set as is, or make it more like the haunted house for easier play. For now I'll probably leave it, but at some point I may open it up somehow.

I can tell you that now I've caught the modular bug. I want to pick one up this month with Double VIP, but can't decide which one to get next. I really like the look of the Fire Station, and I know it will likely be the next to retire (soon), but the thought of adding another fire station to my LEGO collection feels wrong, and I don't like that it is only a single bay... I have so many fire trucks that I need a multi-bay station. So if I bought it, I know I'd want to mod it. Whereas the Pet Shop would fit nicely as is into my LEGO City. Decisions... decisions...

I usually get modulars, city, and the winter sets (with the occasional architecture, castle, etc. purchase), but my eye caught the price of the Robie House at TRU today. They wanted US $185 ($15 less than S@H), and my wife has a 20% off coupon. However, with the Parisian Restaurant coming soon, $148 is still a hefty price. Yet, having studied architecture (and living near the house), the build still holds my attention. I know this is a lot about preference, but for those of you who have built or seen the set in person, is it worth it? I'm afraid the build would be too repetitive; the price still too high, and the parts-out not that great if I ever combine it with my "MOC" pieces. Any suggestions / opinions that could help me with my decision? Thanks.

I usually get modulars, city, and the winter sets (with the occasional architecture, castle, etc. purchase), but my eye caught the price of the Robie House at TRU today. They wanted US $185 ($15 less than S@H), and my wife has a 20% off coupon. However, with the Parisian Restaurant coming soon, $148 is still a hefty price. Yet, having studied architecture (and living near the house), the build still holds my attention. I know this is a lot about preference, but for those of you who have built or seen the set in person, is it worth it? I'm afraid the build would be too repetitive; the price still too high, and the parts-out not that great if I ever combine it with my "MOC" pieces. Any suggestions / opinions that could help me with my decision? Thanks.

In terms of the finished product, the Robie House is one of my favorites in the Architecture line. For Architecture, it's a big model and it looks great on a shelf, the instruction book and general presentation is about what you'd expect for a FLW offering, that is to say great, if you like architecture. That said, the build itself can get a bit tedious. There are a ridiculous number of 1x2 plates assembled to build the walls and tiny tiles to pave the driveway and walk ways. At first I thought it was a little silly, but then on a lark I rebuilt it using blocks instead of plates where I could and it just didn't look right, all those tiny seams actually added up to make the finished model "pop" in a way that a "practical use of brick" didn't.

If you need lots of tiny parts, especially dark red plates in 1x1, 1x2, and 1x3 sizes, this is the kit for you. If you're looking for a wider variety of larger parts, maybe not so much, the 3x3 roof tiles are about the biggest pieces in the kit.

Now I'm also enamored of the upcoming Parisian Restaurant which I _suspect_ would be a more interesting build with a wider variety of parts, but I'm only guessing.

I know it's not much help, but were I in your position, I'd pick up the Robie House _today_ and use the two month delay before the restaurant comes out to save, plan, mentally prepare the wife for yet another Lego expense, etc. and pick that one up as well early next year.

A couple if days left for Double VIP and I have some cash. What do you think?

1. Haunted House. I have the other Monster Fighters sets so I obviously like the theme. I also like to play with my LEGO with my kids, and enjoy the larger build sets. I really like the Vampyre Castle. The HH seems more of a display piece than a play set. The build does look fun.

2. Tower of Orthanc. I'm a casual Tolkien fan. I've seen and like the movies but I'm not a super fanboy of it. I don't have any other of the LOTR sets. But this looks like a good one for a one-off. Looks impressive (I've seen it at the LEGO store) and the inside looks detailed and fun. As I said, my kids like to play with my LEGO. They don't know LOTR since they're too young.

3. Save my money for 2014. I want to get all of the Batman sets. Plus the LEGO Movie sets sound intriguing. Haven't heard whether there will be a big, exclusive Superheroes set.

Thanks for any advice!