Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

10220 Camper van is most likely going to fetch the highest ROI out of your choices because it is nice model. 10197 Fire Brigade is an evergreen set for LEGO and will likely be around for awhile like the Death Star and would take longer to appreciate when (if) it EOLs. 10224 Tower Bridge is a more expensive set and while you will probably get more money from it it is going to take a lot of waiting to get a healthy return. Try http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/1958/predictions-on-discontinuing-sets-and-their-secondary-market-value#latest amidst the clutter there is some good investment information.

The VW will probably have the highest aftermarket price after a few years. Just because it is one of those stranger little sets that wasn't as commonly picked up. There won't be as many out there so scarcity will drive the price up. But demand will be limited to the more specialized sort. Remember the other half of speculating is actually being able to find someone who will pay you the price you want. It doesn't tater what the last one sold for on e-bay if no one is buying yours.

I don't think Fire Brigade will command as high a price vs purchase cost, but it is a set that people and newly returned AFOLs will be looking for for a long time. It is a center point of any modular town or display or collection, and newer Modulars will feed interest back to it. But that will be tempered with the simple fact that there are a lot of hem out there, and a lot of investors stocked up when they thought it was being retired last year. No one expected it to be restocked again (another testament to its lasting popularity.)

Pet shop will probably fall between the two. It will get a good return if you wait on it long enough. But it probably will have a hard sealing as to how much collectors will be willing to pay for it. UCS Millennium Falcon or Carousel it isn't.

10220 Camper van is most likely going to fetch the highest ROI out of your choices because it is nice model. 10197 Fire Brigade is an evergreen set for LEGO and will likely be around for awhile like the Death Star and would take longer to appreciate when (if) it EOLs. 10224 Tower Bridge is a more expensive set and while you will probably get more money from it it is going to take a lot of waiting to get a healthy return. Try http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/1958/predictions-on-discontinuing-sets-and-their-secondary-market-value#latest amidst the clutter there is some good investment information.

10197 won't be around much more than a few months, especially once 10232 comes out.

I wouldn't expect 10197 to go up in price much. Just assuming here, but I think a lot of people are holding on to these after seeing the secondary prices for it's predecessors. Out of the 3 you listed, I'd guess 10220 VW Camper would be your best bet.

If you want to make money, invest in precious stones or metals not plastic toys. Using children's toys to profiteer is kind of tragic.

While many people complain about those that purchase sets to sell later at profit, remember that this is the only way for those now entering into the hobby to get the retired sets. It's the reason why something like the 10182 Cafe Corner or the 10189 Millenium Falcon command such high prices - because there is not enough supply from investors to meet the demand.

The more common a set is, the less likely it will increase in value. But the more demand a set is the more likely it will continue to be sought after when it has long been discontinued. I see the Volkswagen Camper Van increasing in value quickly after discontinuation but flatlining after that, since it's more of a one off (similar behaviour to the Beetle). The modular buildings will probably not appreciate much to begin with as there's heaps of them on the market, but since the modular theme continues to be popular, it will keep interest in the older sets for a longer period of time, making the Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium continue to steadily increase in value. These two sets make up the modular street, the other is a one off and may be forgotten in time.

This is, of course, entirely speculation on my part.

If you want to make money, invest in precious stones or metals not plastic toys. Using children's toys to profiteer is kind of tragic.

of course! i'm not getting serious at profiteering with lego you know. i got a pretty decent job. :sweet:

While many people complain about those that purchase sets to sell later at profit, remember that this is the only way for those now entering into the hobby to get the retired sets. It's the reason why something like the 10182 Cafe Corner or the 10189 Millenium Falcon command such high prices - because there is not enough supply from investors to meet the demand.

The more common a set is, the less likely it will increase in value. But the more demand a set is the more likely it will continue to be sought after when it has long been discontinued. I see the Volkswagen Camper Van increasing in value quickly after discontinuation but flatlining after that, since it's more of a one off (similar behaviour to the Beetle). The modular buildings will probably not appreciate much to begin with as there's heaps of them on the market, but since the modular theme continues to be popular, it will keep interest in the older sets for a longer period of time, making the Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium continue to steadily increase in value. These two sets make up the modular street, the other is a one off and may be forgotten in time.

This is, of course, entirely speculation on my part.

you make a good point!

thanks everyone for pouring their insights 'bout this.

Hey guys need you opinion on something. I just started on Ninjago and I'm catching up on old sets. Which one should I prioritize first since I'm on a budget. Flame temple or a duo purchase of Samurai Mech and Sonic Raider? I already got the Temple of Light so I have a base for the ninja's if that was something to consider....

Is $70 a good price for the 7189 Kingdoms Mill Village Raid? A local hobby shop has one - the box shows signs of shelf wear, but still looks to be sealed.

Is $70 a good price for the 7189 Kingdoms Mill Village Raid? A local hobby shop has one - the box shows signs of shelf wear, but still looks to be sealed.

Not a bad deal, since the set is discontinued and all. Get it while you can, we likely won't see anything like it for quite some time.

Hey guys need you opinion on something. I just started on Ninjago and I'm catching up on old sets. Which one should I prioritize first since I'm on a budget. Flame temple or a duo purchase of Samurai Mech and Sonic Raider? I already got the Temple of Light so I have a base for the ninja's if that was something to consider....

I would definitely go for the Fire Temple. It's a great display set, has brilliant play features and techniques, is relatively interesting to build, and is good as a parts/minifigures pack. And that said, it's likely going to be available for a few months longer than the other two. =)

Not a bad deal, since the set is discontinued and all. Get it while you can, we likely won't see anything like it for quite some time.

Cool. Thank you.

Mirkwood spider escape (hobbit) or Urak hai army (lotr). I have enough for either if I buy mirkwood spider I could also buy another £10 set.

Mirkwood spider escape (hobbit) or Urak hai army (lotr). I have enough for either if I buy mirkwood spider I could also buy another £10 set.

Ok, gonna be going to the Glendale Galleria(mall) and obviously going to have to stop at the LEGO store. While I really "shouldn't" buy something, I can't let that poor 10% off coupon go to waste... So, let's say in the $30-60 range. I'm looking at 70703 Star Slicer, but other options are welcomed. Looking into SW, Chima, Turtles, City, GS, Ninjago, Superheroes. I really narrowed that down, didn't I? :grin:

That's a tough one. Both are good sets. With the Mirkwood Spiders, you get four named characters, a couple of spooky trees, and some not so great spiders. With Uruk-Hai Army, you get a nice army building pack, a horse, and a wall. I like Uruk-Hai Army more, but if you are collecting the Hobbit characters eventually you'll have to get the Mirkwood Spiders set. So I guess it comes down to how much you want to collect the dwarves... if that is a high priority then go with Mirkwood. Otherwise I'd go with Uruk-Hai Army because it is a better set and was released first so also likely to disappear first.

Ok, gonna be going to the Glendale Galleria(mall) and obviously going to have to stop at the LEGO store. While I really "shouldn't" buy something, I can't let that poor 10% off coupon go to waste... So, let's say in the $30-60 range. I'm looking at 70703 Star Slicer, but other options are welcomed. Looking into SW, Chima, Turtles, City, GS, Ninjago, Superheroes. I really narrowed that down, didn't I? :grin:

Can you combine? I personally would go with Kai's Fire Robot and a couple Speedorz, but the Golden Dragon looks nice too. Just by looks though as I don't have it...

The Samurai Mech is (IMHO) a very nice set, depending on how much you like Ninjago, but haven't (IRL) seen too many from the other themes so can't really compare.

I think I'm going to pick up the last of the old LOTR sets (Uruk Hai Army, Mines of Moria, Helm's Deep, and the Orc Forge) before they go out and get rare/expensive. Then start on the Hobbit sets.

Resale price depends on many factors. I recently started a similar topic in Technic section (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77897). For Technic, the older sets are not gaining any value lately.

One reason why some sets went up in value due to some people just being crazy. :laugh:

Now so many people are thinking of investing in Lego, return may not be that high what you expect.

Also, in recent times Lego has released lots of interesting sets which somewhat negates the craze of having older sets (why pay more when you can similar products much cheaper and new)?

Still, out of the sets you listed, I think VW Camper might appreciate as this has got wider appeal. So Technic lover one day show interest assuming it as a car.

Maybe the Bat vs. Bane chase set? I think that's around $40 US and maybe you could get Razcal's Glider on the side.

Hello all. The other day i purchased creator set 5766 Log Cabin. After building the main model, and the 2 alternate builds, I decided to try and make my own. I came up with a cool little restaurant. After, I had the idea that it would be cool to try and find many different alternate builds of one simple set. I tried this with those brickmaster books and it was quite enjoyable!

So now I decided to try this project, where I buy 1 or 2 simple sets ($10-$25) and try to come up with as many alternate builds as possible, and post the results here. I would use small sets (although using the new Arkham Asylum set would be a fun challenge) and then using only those bricks think of the most creative possible build.

And last, my question: Which set should I buy for this? i would want it to be small, but have a good price-per-part ratio and some good pieces. Any suggestions?

Hello all

I've just sold a couple of sets and I have bunch of money to burn! Recommend me a set to buy - I want the set that offers the best building experience as I will inevitably sell the thing on Bricklink when I've finished it.

I've been considering the UCS B-Wing; or one of the modular buildings; or that 10228 Haunted House.

/ben