Sign in to follow this  
Walter Kovacs

WIP: UCS TIE Defender, Revision 4

Hello all. The "Where have the MOCers gone?" topic inspired me to take up the mantle and resume my quest to produce UCS versions of all the TIE variants.

I have resumed with one that I have done before, the TIE/D, or TIE Defender. In fact, I have 3.5 other versions. But I wasn't satisfied with how version 2.8 turned out, and version 3 had some structural issues. So, Revision 4 was born, designed completely from scratch.

This is still very much a WIP. I still need to design a UCS style stand for it, and many of the parts are 'floating'. That is, they are in the correct position, but supports, pins, axles and other parts that are hidden from view are missing.

TIE Defender, 3/4 view:

tie_defender_rev_4_3-4_view.png

On Stand:

tie_defender_rev_4_on_stand.png

Side View:

tie_defender_rev_4_side.png

Rear View:

tie_defender_rev_4_back.png

Cockpit without Windscreen:

tie_defender_rev_4_cockpit.png

This MOC differs from all of my other UCS TIEs in that the solar panels are brickbuilt, not built out of plates and wedge plates. It's the same technique used in the UCS Imperial Shuttle. I also borrowed the trim method from TLG's most recent TIE Fighter, though I used a mixture of clips and the old style 2 and 3 finger hinge plates.

The top hatch should be able to open and close, at least somewhat. I know it won't be able to go up 90 degrees.

All parts are available in the colors shown, except for those robot arms at the front of the cockpit. Those are supposed to be Pearl Copper, but they didn't render quite right.

I have every intention of building this eventually, once the design is completes and I can gather the parts off of Bricklink.

For those interested, the MOC currently sits at 1436 parts, with at least 100-200 more to be added.

Constructive Comments and Criticisms are more than welcome. This is still a WIP, so there's time to make changes before I start ordering parts.

EDIT: Added a render with the completed stand. I am currently generating the instructions, which is where I usually find interferences and get a general sanity check.

This looks pretty awesome, so far! :wub: As for ideas/suggestions, I would replace the plates you have going across the wings with tiles, but that's juat cause I prefer a studless look. Also, the cannons on the wings look a little small/lacking detail. Just some thoughts. I love the piece you used to connect the cockpit to the body.

This looks pretty awesome, so far! :wub: As for ideas/suggestions, I would replace the plates you have going across the wings with tiles, but that's juat cause I prefer a studless look. Also, the cannons on the wings look a little small/lacking detail. Just some thoughts. I love the piece you used to connect the cockpit to the body.

I'd love to change the struts across the wings with tiles. Unfortunately, those plates are 1 x10s, and LEGO has yet to produce a 1x10 Tile. :cry_sad: The alternative would be to add a 1x6 and 1x4 Tile on top, but I think the added height detracts more than the the studless look adds. I did carefully consider it, though. If they were 12 studs long, I'd use this piece, but 12 studs is too long. If anyone has another alternative, I'd love to hear it.

As for the cannons, I felt they needed to be a little understated for a change. Most of the reference pictures I've seen the cannons are small. I did make sure to make the Ion cannons different from the Laser cannons. And there are some greebles attached to the underside of the wings, which are visible thanks to the design of the ship.

Thanks for your comments.

This looks awesome, great use of that big drill part joining the cockpit to the wings and twin ion engine.

Can't wait to see it built and on display at Eurobricks.

I'm not one to be too worried about how accurate designs are, but this looks to be a well designed, aesthetically pleasing representation of a menacing looking ship. I think it would look great in real brick as is at the moment, but I look forward to any modifications you may have. MOC ON!

I don't have any feedback other than to say it looks amazing and I look forward to seeing it made with real bricks when you get there, keep up the good work!

Honestly I got fooled at first glance of the pics I thought this was already a real MOC, so great render job! :grin: And even greater MOC! :thumbup: Your UCS TIEs have always fascinated me, and this certainly is right up in the alley with all your previous TIE MOCs. I don't think I can suggest anymore improvements, it's perfect for me already. And contrary to Mood's comments, I kinda like the fact that there are still visible studs in the build, which still gives it a LEGO look amidst the overall smooth SNOT design. Clever use of the drill piece too! Was this the first time you used this piece for your TIE/D designs?

Good to see you MOCing again Walter, and looking forward seeing this in real brickbuild. Great job and keep it up! :thumbup:

Honestly I got fooled at first glance of the pics I thought this was already a real MOC, so great render job! :grin: And even greater MOC! :thumbup: Your UCS TIEs have always fascinated me, and this certainly is right up in the alley with all your previous TIE MOCs. I don't think I can suggest anymore improvements, it's perfect for me already. And contrary to Mood's comments, I kinda like the fact that there are still visible studs in the build, which still gives it a LEGO look amidst the overall smooth SNOT design. Clever use of the drill piece too! Was this the first time you used this piece for your TIE/D designs?

Good to see you MOCing again Walter, and looking forward seeing this in real brickbuild. Great job and keep it up! :thumbup:

Thank you all for the comments.

I've gotten the steps for instructions done. I'm just working my way through LPub to make them snazzy. Then it's on to Bricklink, which will likely take several months to gather everything. Hopefully it will hold together when it becomes physical. I think it will.

@KDM, yes, this is the first time I have used that Power Miners drill piece. It seems natural for that area, I'm not sure why I never thought of it before.

And if you liked the renders, then look forward to Walter Kovac's Holiday Camp, the first (that I know of) Rendered EB Mafia game </shameless plug>