February, the 17th

Set#: 5978

Set Name: Sphinx Secret Surprise

Number of pieces: 342

Number of minifigs: 7

Year of release: 1998

Dear Eurobrickers,

Here a review of one of my adventure:

This is the medium set from the first line of my adventures, and my favourite, because we are a lot of minifigs in it, with a lot of accessories, in a so wonderfull site with a lot of secrets.

First, a general view of the site:

5978_01.jpg

And here a closer view of the camp:

5978_02.jpg

My team has everything they need: a camp fire and a tent, where each, boys and girls, sleep the night� *sweet*

The tent is made with a structure and a piece of cloth, nice but a little fragile.

And we have also some accessories for our discoveries, the goal of our expedition (dynamite, magnifying glass, gun, hatchet and maps).

Here a sarcophagus with a mummy in it.

5978_03.jpg

Just take the camera and film this before to load the car with it. And it�s the first time we have a vehicle in which we, minifigs, can be two beside each others! :-P

Don�t be afraid with this small scorpion�

5978_04.jpg

...and you will find a map with some gold coins, and a snake! Not a matter for me, remembered, I�m an adventurer!

5978_05.jpg

We can�t work quietly; we always meet those two bad guys! But because they are bad, all the disasters fall on them!

Just look! Don�t go too much closer�

5978_06.jpg

�or the obelisk will fall down! What a pity, he isn�t hurt! >:-)

5978_07.jpg

And you know, it�s the same with the diamond�

5978_08.jpg

...in worse, because the haunted mummy takes care of it, under the sphinx�

5978_09.jpg

So after all those mishaps, I stop those bad guys and we will go to the next site.

5978_10.jpg

But I know that Anubis still hides us many mysteries�

5978_11.jpg

Yours faithfully,

Johnny Thunder

Hi!

Great rewiev - I probably need to start getting these sets, really cool *y*!

Sphinx On

copmike

Thanks for that cool review. Wonderful set, very nice car and wow, a camp with tent. Great! *y*

I own almost every set the of the Adventurers theme and this is my absolute favourite!

It was quite an expensive set to buy back in 1998 but worth every penny...

Thanks for a great review.

Very nice review Alex. Your pictures are very vivid- excellent color. This is my personal favorite of the Adventurers Desert theme. I enjoyed building it last year as part of my Port Adventure:

moc5.jpg

The entire thread can be found here: Port Adventure

In any case, nice review of an excellent set. I bought on clearance from KayBee's web site a few years ago. It's a classic. *y*

Fun review! This is a great set. I'd love to snag a few more of the tents.

Steve

D'oh, I thought I already replied to this thread...

The adventurers desert sub-theme is one of my favorite LEGO themes. 'Tis a shame TLC had to cancel the fun. I never received this set, so it's nice to see that you've reviewed it! The mini-sphinx is my favorite aspect of this set. I also like the tent and the vehicle quite a bit. What I remember enjoying the most about these sets, specifically the Pharaoh's Forbidden Tomb, is the playability factor. Though some older AFOLs might not feel the same way. :-P

Nice review Alex. *y*

I just looked for a review of this set via the search function.

And I was happy to discover this excellent review.

Thanks Alex for making this.

I recently got this set as part of a bigger collection I bought on eBay.

Now I plan to build it one of these days.

And this review is the perfect way to get me warmed up.

ah, the desert adventurers theme... (known by my friends and me as "LEGO Egypt") made me a very happy boy. Let's see: small anubis temple, jeep, plane, large temple... I think this is the only set of that line wich I don't own. It seems like a nice set (beautiful sphinx), but a bit too open. I remember it's price range wasn't that much smaller than the one from the biggest set...

The adventurers theme opened many ways to MOCing different civilisations like Ancient Egypt, China, India and Maya-like (not to mention the exquisite dinosaurs) but it's a shame the line didn't continue... We could perhaps have had Roman or Greek adventurers theme...

Oh well, great review ;-)

TT

My sister won this set in a "Spot Captain Hook's Hand In The Programme Raffle" at a Peter Pan ballet production and I obtained it soon after. It furthered my addiction to Adventurers hugely, being the only large set I had (the others being very small ones). It's a great set, but a shame I can't comment on the price. The flagship set for the range, and deservedly so. Before I got this set, I remember spending hours trying to figure out the mechanism used to flick the Pharoah out demonstrated in the catalogue...I used all manner of springs and elastic bands, so the final lever was rather a disappointment. Nevertheless, I still had the chance to figure out how the Temple Of Anubis traps worked - but now I had the figures, bar Harry Cane (I always find it funny how Sam Grant is driving Harry Cane's car - see the numberplate: "HC 514" X-D ).

Sam Grant. Not Johnny Thunder. I'm very particular about that.

I don't remember an axe coming with it though...maybe I lost it too soon 8-|

You've got the wrong cup in the review...the standard open-handled one is the correct one...

A poll perhaps?

SlyOwl

Edited by SlyOwl

Thanks for the great review, I like the way you wrote, from the viewpoint of Jhonny Thunder. I remember having a pyramid set when I was younger, which I enjoyed very much, but after the Egyptian adventures I stopped buying sets from that theme, and I am not sure why! :-/

Edited by Lord Of Pies

Aaaaah that falling pillar!!! I always rammed into it in LEGO Racers when it falls down on you in the second lap... :-P

By far, the best racer game I have on my computer... ever

Great review Alex *y* I still remember trying to win this set off of ebay back in 02, in the end i managed to pick this one up along with the bigger tomb and i'm so glad i got both.

What an old topic! I have forgotten that I've made a review from this set! *wacko*

Thanks for you comments guys! (I will try to make more review from my old sets, just need time for that...)

Sam Grant. Not Johnny Thunder. I'm very particular about that.

Well, I've never heard the name Sam Grant...

You've got the wrong cup in the review...the standard open-handled one is the correct one...

You're right, it's a scala cup (which I ahd in a scala part packs, when TLC sold them in their extra catalogue...)

Good sens of observation *y* ...

I don't remember an axe coming with it though...maybe I lost it too soon 8-|

But your memory *n* :-D All the accessories are originals.

(I always find it funny how Sam Grant is driving Harry Cane's car - see the numberplate: "HC 514" X-D ).

I didn't know that, a nice funny touch from TLC!

Great review. *y* I got into Lego a bit too late to buy any of these sets. I sure wish I had bought some. :-/

Great review infused with story!

(P.S: Joined into the lego fun to late for this gem, and i don't have a paypal account so bricklink is out...Now they have indy, but in my mind he'll just be a fleshy version of johnny. :P)

Nice review *y* Though I have a question to anyone who has this - do you think it's worth trying to buy it if you've already got the Pharoah's Ruins set? Thanks :-)

This is one of the sets I always wished I could get when I was nine :(

Good review *y*