Missing Brick

Palace Limo 5-wide & 6-wide Mod

Here's the original limo:

8393777290_9427a22e42_c.jpg

And here's my 6-wide mod:

8732935876_6215e397e0_c.jpg

Palace Limo Mod by Legoogel, on Flickr

I chopped a stud off the overhang at each end and one stud out of the mid section, then added proper doors, windscreen, wheel-arches and some compound tires. I actually like the original front end, so no change there.

And here's the 5-wide version

8733017272_5e0c424a96_c.jpg

Both use exactly the same bonnet / hood assembly. I cheated slightly on the 5-wide bumper / fender: I used one of the disposable pins from a set of lego railway tracks - cut to length.

Here's a comparison shot.

8732938616_6a647572d9_c.jpg

The 5-wide looks a much better scale when placed next to the 6-wide lego truck sets.

8731901833_c39851e5e6_c.jpg

More pics on my flickr.

Edited by Missing Brick

I'm usually a fan of six wides, but your five wide looks better in the front.....though 6 wide allows the driver to sit on one side of the car and the starlet on the other so her forward view is not broken......the driver doesn't want the sack now does he ? :laugh:

Great modifying there 'Missing Brick' and Brick On Drive On ! :grin:

Wow, that certainly looks a lot better than the limo that comes with it! I like what you did with the wheels, the ones on the original look terrible!

I really think lego should put this car in the set rather than the one they did, it's much better! Good Job!

Smiles=)

Great job on these, they look much better than the original, but somehow keep the looks of it. :thumbup: :thumbup: Of course I love the 6w better (those brown seats are a great touch), but the 5w is done very well, too.

A hint concerning the 5w: You could use a bar 4,5 L with stop ends (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=71184) as a bumper.

And some thoughts concerning the 6w: What if you moved the front doors one stud forward? If that worked there would be several advantages: The driver could be seated more to the side. Plus you could have 2 more (suicide) doors at the back which would be very nice for the purpose of the car. Finally the front doors would be fixed better than with the 2x1 tiles. Just an idea, I know very well how difficult such changes are ... :wink:

What tire combo are you using on the wheels? :classic:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=50945 + http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=51011 + some snot mounting to lower the car slightly.

8731904543_cd2bce0acc_c.jpg

A hint concerning the 5w: You could use a bar 4,5 L with stop ends (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=71184) as a bumper.

Nice. Thanks for the tip

What if you moved the front doors one stud forward?

Good idea. The problem then becomes how to fill the gap between the front edge of the door and the wheel arch which is currently filled by the inverted slope. Tricky but I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Edited by Missing Brick

So they pay the Lego designers to create that ugly limo ? and you guys go unnoticed ? damn... those vehicles looks so much better than the original.

Thanks, but in fairness to TLG, a 5-wide would never pass play-testing: Too fragile with lots of parts only held together by one stud. Also, the doors on my 6-wide could do with a stronger fixing. That being said, there's no excuse for the original design ( Those wheel arches!   OMG ).

I really like that 6-wide version, apart from the front end which I think is still just too tall. But it's certainly an enormous improvement on the original, which has all sorts of problems.

Yowza,

These are great upgrades. I too really like your 6w, great job in keeping the lines of the limo while widening and fixing the awful wheel well setup that was part of the original :thumbup:

Love the mods! The official is pretty poorly designed, but they at least included something and we all can mod it later I suppose.

I do really like the 6 wide better mostly due to the seating. The brown does add a nice contrast with the black.

Keep up the great work. I will definitely try my hand at this when I finally get the cinema.

That's a couple of fantastic looking MODs there! I think I prefer the 5-wide, although the boot line on the 6-wide looks perfect. Either size they're definitely a massive improvement on the stock Limo from the Palace Cinema.

Really nice. I missed the topic originally, good that someone bumped it.

I'll try to make something in the same way as your 6-wide model; I can't continue to see the original Lego model much longer on my shelf :laugh:

Edited by antp

Somehow missed this thread before, the MOD is great! Mind you when I see the five wide it immediately made me think of young Biff's car from BTTF!!!