Hi I'm new in this forum (well, actually I have been reading here for a year) so I'll do something myself.

Here I am presenting my Lego Thomas and Friends range that I have designed totally in LDD. It took me about 1 year till now (or even longer) to design all the engines.

First we start with Thomas

thomas.jpg

Then Edward, I designed the driving wheels higher as I would use Big Ben Bricks medium drivers for that model.

edward.jpg

Henry follows

henryl.jpg

Then Gordon the Express Engine

gordonl.jpg

Duck the Great Western

duck.jpg

Oliver

oliver.jpg

Arthur

aarthur.jpg

Molly

molly.jpg

Stanley

stanley.jpg

Annie and Clarabel to go with Thomas

annie_and_clarabel.jpg

The red coaches

red_coaches.jpg

A well wagon

low-loadermedium.jpg

Bulgy

bulgy.jpg

Maithwaite Station (not finished)

maithwaite_station.jpg

And finally non-Thomas related stuff

A narrow gauge train layout with the existing lego track

narrowgauge.jpg

A big train station

station.jpg

And at last a GNR C1 Atlantic engine. That is the only engine that I actually have in real bricks, however the LDD model is a little bit different - I don't have green wheels and am planning to buy the XL Big Ben Bricks drivers which should look better.

I built the model out of 2 Emerald Nights, however I don't have actual pictures for the real version.

gnr_class_c1.jpg

I hope you enjoyed it!

ScotNick

P.S.: I actually wanted to upload my Thomas model on Cuusoo, but as someone else made a (not the best) Thomas model before me they didn't allow me to. :angry:

P.P.: Sorry, I tried to upload the pictures here but it didn't work so I put just the link there. :angry:

Edit: Found out how to post the pictures directly.

Edited by ScotNick

Wow, these locos and coaches are excellent and I really enjoyed seeing them. When my children were small I used to read the Thomas stories to them as well as sit with them while they watched Thomas the Tank Engine on the telly.

Your Atlantic looks good with nice proportions and I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the brick built loco too.

Now that is a lot of work, would love to see one or 2 built and running. can you imagin an entire layout of the island of sodor

I am impressed. Even better, the style can easily be changed to more realistic colors to have a near spot on depiction of a prototypical steam locomotive. Nice work.

Let me just pick my jaw off the floor before repsonding properly... I love these models, and wish I could build that double decker bus for myself! :thumbup:

By the way: If these are LDD models, this might help you build them in real life: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=41993 This program (not mine) will help you determine what bricks to order, which ones don't exist, etc. Also, could you upload the LXF files to MOCPages or Brickshelf and them link to them here, I think a lot of people (including me!) would love making these or at least taking thme apart ot see how they tick.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Murdoch17

Yes, please do post pictures of the brick built C1, the LDD model looks great.

PS, and welcome to the forum! (as you enter on a bang)

Hey Guys,

Thank you for all the comments.

I have good and bad news.

The bad news first: I am currently in the USA to improve my English and not in Austria where the brick-built model of the C1 is. Sorry guys, but I think when I'll come back in July I'll create an own thread for that.

The good news: I made a Percy and a Toby model. I planned Toby with power functions so he would be fully compatible with it.

And I've uploaded some LDD-files on Brickshelf, here is the link: --> http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=528145

As Thomas and Friends is based on British engines this is not something just for Thomas fans. Here is a list of the real engines my models could be used for:

Toby - LNER J70

Duck - GWR 57xx

Oliver - GWR 14xx

Arthur - LMS Ivatt Class 2MT

Molly - GER D56 Claud Hamilton

And I have to say - those 5 engines came out the best I think.

And at the end a picture of all the engines I have created. Altogether a little bit more than 10,000 pieces, who wants to have that? :grin::wink:

allf.jpg

Oh,what I have to say about the big station: I can't really work on that because it has soooo many pieces that the computer gets very slow! :laugh:

I just realized, I have a picture of my C1 from about one year ago, but that model was so bad (for me), so much has changed since then. But I have to disappoint you, the real model looks much closer to the LDD model than to the model down there.

This tender down there is pretty much destroyed and looks like the LDD-version now. Furthermore I plan to disassemble the engine and build it new, some parts look weird and the model needs a good mechanism for the curves.

http://www.brickshel...sh/dsc04487.jpg

Edited by ScotNick
Per the Site Guidelines, please keep embedded images to a maximum resolution of 800 x 600 pixels (image converted to a link)

Thank you for uploading it!

I can't download it yet though. (It's still in moderation on Brickshelf)

While i wait I have some questions:

Is it possible to make Stanley have Big Ben Bricks medium wheels? If needed, what mods would I have to do to get them to fit?

I'm seriousely considering converting Stanley into black with red stripes OR tan with black stripes.

Also possible would be Toby in Dark bluish gray or dark tan (instead of brown). However, I might need to change the windows to another color, as I'm pretty sure Dark brown isn't avaliable.

Edited by Murdoch17

Best two parts of my childhood just melded :) Well done, ScotNick! I love your designs for Henry and Gordon.

Wow, really impressive work! I'm not surprised it's taken you over a year! My favourite are Thomas' carriages. I grew up with Thomas and friends and LEGO, so it's brilliant to see the two combined :)

And that station is stunning, it's a shame you can't finish it, I'd love to see it brick built one day (if you could ever afford to! We all share that pain!!!)

Great work and happy building! XD

Being a massive Thomas fan, I am pleasantly surprised by all of these.

I must say Thomas and Edward do look a little odd without their domes, but you've done a wonderful job of capturing Thomas' shape and his sloped front end.

Henry and Gordon look great- I love the Technic valve gear on them, and on Arthur as well.

I do wonder why you didn't do James- he completes the 'big engine trio' from the show, and I believe all the bricks are available to do him in real life.

My personal favorites of the engines are Arthur and Molly. I think you did a terrific job of capturing Molly's elegant form in LEGO brick. :)

I quite like the coaches, and Bulgy too- I'm surprised LEGO hasn't released a double-decker bus yet(excluding the 'Knight Bus' in the Harry Potter sets)!

I do really like Maithwaite, and the 'Big Station' too- I was thinking if it was too many bricks, then perhaps you could do a smaller station? Like Tidmouth station, which is a smaller-looking version of Knapford(the big station, on TV).

Finally I must say the C1 looks great. You actually built this one? That I simply must see!

I think you've done brilliantly with all of these. Very well done, and happy future building :)

where is james??? i also like bill and ben and the scotish twins donald and douglas, :-) great workon what you've done though, top class.

My favorite in Henry the Green Engine. One thing I always felt was missing from Thomas was that they concentrated too much on the engines at the expense of being able to pull stuff so I am glad that you have included some rolling stock.

Like a lot of people Thomas takes me back to my youth, but in those days I recall my Thomas stories were recorded onto Vinyl, I had four records in the collection and listened to them often.

Well done to recreate all of them.

I converted Edward to LDraw and had to fix many missing parts and much more to show you the result with BigBen's wheels.

edwardldraw.jpg

thomasldraw.jpg

I added a dome on Edward as well as on Thomas, shame on me that I forgot that. :sweet:

I will convert Stanley and Duck to LDraw too to show them with the other wheels, but that takes much time.

James will be a project too, but first I have to convert Stanley and Duck.

After all of that Donald and Douglas (and maybe even Bill and Ben) could be a future project against boredom! :classic:

Thanks for all your comments.

Edited by ScotNick

Its been a long while since I have seen Thomas.... Who is Molly, Stanley, and Aurther? Also I thought Stanley was a triple decker? I love your MOC so detailed! I'd love to see them brick built or at least POV ray! Also how do you build the cheese wedge boiler?

@Electricsteam: Molly, Stanley, & Arthur are from the Television series only. I believe Arthur was introduced in 2003, with Molly being used since 2005. Stanley was first shown in 2008 in a straight-to-DVD movie (called The Great Discovery) and was also shown in the following seasons. Also, Bulgy is a double decker bus, and is originally from original "Railway Series" books. (I think the triple decker you are thinking of is the Knight Bus from Harry Potter.)

Fun Fact: Did you know that the the model railway used for the Thomas the Tank engine TV series is no longer used? Since the 2008 DVD movie, CGI gradually replaced certain aspects of the show, and now the whole show is in CGI. The Great Discovery was the last time the model railway was used 100%.

Back on topic: How long (usually) is Brickshelf moderation? I still can't seem to get to ScotNick's LDD files as Brickshelf says they are not moderated yet.

Edited by Murdoch17

Now that you've added pictures of all of the engines to the original post, I see all sorts of great details that you added to the models (e.g., the handrails on Gordon).

I quite like the coaches, and Bulgy too- I'm surprised LEGO hasn't released a double-decker bus yet(excluding the 'Knight Bus' in the Harry Potter sets)!

They did do a double decker bus... 40 years ago (grin).

Thank you for uploading it!

I can't download it yet though. (It's still in moderation on Brickshelf)

While i wait I have some questions:

Is it possible to make Stanley have Big Ben Bricks medium wheels? If needed, what mods would I have to do to get them to fit?

I'm seriousely considering converting Stanley into black with red stripes OR tan with black stripes.

Also possible would be Toby in Dark bluish gray or dark tan (instead of brown). However, I might need to change the windows to another color, as I'm pretty sure Dark brown isn't avaliable.

If you use Big Ben Brick's medium wheels you need to put the Running Plate on plate higher (or the chassis one plate lower).

@Electricsteam: Molly, Stanley, & Arthur are from the Television series only. I believe Arthur was introduced in 2003, with Molly being used since 2005. Stanley was first shown in 2008 in a straight-to-DVD movie (called The Great Discovery) and was also shown in the following seasons. Also, Bulgy is a double decker bus, and is originally from original "Railway Series" books. (I think the triple decker you are thinking of is the Knight Bus from Harry Potter.)

Fun Fact: Did you know that the the model railway used for the Thomas the Tank engine TV series is no longer used? Since the 2008 DVD movie, CGI gradually replaced certain aspects of the show, and now the whole show is in CGI. The Great Discovery was the last time the model railway was used 100%.

Back on topic: How long (usually) is Brickshelf moderation? I still can't seem to get to ScotNick's LDD files as Brickshelf says they are not moderated yet.

Now the files should be public at: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=528145

Now that you've added pictures of all of the engines to the original post, I see all sorts of great details that you added to the models (e.g., the handrails on Gordon).

They did do a double decker bus... 40 years ago (grin).

Yes, that is a very basic model, I am sure it was good enough for that time. :classic: Also my Bus is 7 studs wide to, bigger is better... :sweet:

Also I got the idea for the cheese-wedge boiler from other engines (like the A1 Peppercorn here:http://www.flickr.co...97987/lightbox/) and from the Emerald Night.

The cheese wedge boiler has the advantage of being not too big (I thing that Emerald Night's boiler looks way to large) but still looks round.

Here is the basic idea ( I used different colors to point out the different bricks):

cheese-wedge-boiler.jpg

Oh and zephyr 1934 - I think all the engines would look much better with your custom steam rods :sweet: !

Edited by ScotNick

Thank you for uploading them, I've got Toby open right now..... but, just out of curiosity, when do you plan on uploading Stanley and / or the bus?

I've got big plans for them!

Thank you for uploading them, I've got Toby open right now..... but, just out of curiosity, when do you plan on uploading Stanley and / or the bus?

I've got big plans for them!

Sorry, I forgot them. As I uploaded them you can't open the folder now, but I hope it won't take long. :sadnew:

I am really curious how some of the engines would look like in real life. If anyone builds one of these feel free to post pictures here, and tell me when you build it. :sweet:

Done with Toby in LDD, just need to build him ijn real life:

(I hope it's okay to post this pic of him!)

Real world background of the S56 class tank engine & C53 steam tram:

Both of these British railway locomotive classes were designed by James Holden, a respected engineer with the Great Eastern Railway. The S56 class were a 20-strong class built in 1904, while the C53 was a class first built in 1903, and ending in 1921. There were only 12 built, and none are preserved, while the S56 has 1 preserved at the National Railway Museum. The number of that S56 class engine is as follows:

Great Eastern Railway (1904 - 1923): 87

London NorthEastern Railway (1923- 1948): 7087, then 8633

British Railways (1948 - 1960): 68633

8747204149_3a36f35c42.jpg

The S56 is something I have constructed myself, while I tweaked your C53 (Toby) design in to my tan and black color scheme of the Glencoe, Imperial, & Pacific Railway. It's a fictional railway, but the story I told above is 100% true.

I numbered the steam engine 17, and am thinking about numbering the tram 43.

What do you think?

Edited by Murdoch17

Yes, that is a very basic model, I am sure it was good enough for that time. :classic: Also my Bus is 7 studs wide to, bigger is better... :sweet:

Oh and zephyr 1934 - I think all the engines would look much better with your custom steam rods :sweet: !

Oh, the comment about the bus wasn't a criticism, I was just answering Cirkit's wish for a lego designed double decker bus (with my tongue in cheek of course... though TLG did also produce a more recent one for a store opening exclusive).

As for the rods, aw shucks, now cut that out, yer gonna make me blush.

Oh, every time I look at Edward, I keep thinking there is too much red. I'd suggest two studs blue, one stud red on the boiler instead of alternating every other stud.

Done with Toby in LDD, just need to build him ijn real life:

(I hope it's okay to post this pic of him!)

Real world background of the S56 class tank engine & C53 steam tram:

Both of these British railway locomotive classes were designed by James Holden, a respected engineer with the Great Eastern Railway. The S56 class were a 20-strong class built in 1904, while the C53 was a class first built in 1903, and ending in 1921. There were only 12 built, and none are preserved, while the S56 has 1 preserved at the National Railway Museum. The number of that S56 class engine is as follows:

Great Eastern Railway (1904 - 1923): 87

London NorthEastern Railway (1923- 1948): 7087, then 8633

British Railways (1948 - 1960): 68633

8747204149_3a36f35c42.jpg

The S56 is something I have constructed myself, while I tweaked your C53 (Toby) design in to my tan and black color scheme of the Glencoe, Imperial, & Pacific Railway. It's a fictional railway, but the story I told above is 100% true.

I numbered the steam engine 17, and am thinking about numbering the tram 43.

What do you think?

I honestly have to say that the colors are unfortunately not my favourites, however it should look better in real life.

And to your S56 class engine: It looks nice, however I have to say it looks pretty basic. I love to create them to look as close as possible to their real life counterparts. So I designed a model of the class myself.

What do you think?

lner-s56-b.jpg

And here to show you the comparison!

lner-s56.jpg

Oh, the comment about the bus wasn't a criticism, I was just answering Cirkit's wish for a lego designed double decker bus (with my tongue in cheek of course... though TLG did also produce a more recent one for a store opening exclusive).

As for the rods, aw shucks, now cut that out, yer gonna make me blush.

Oh, every time I look at Edward, I keep thinking there is too much red. I'd suggest two studs blue, one stud red on the boiler instead of alternating every other stud.

I knew that the comment on the bus wasn't a criticism. :classic: However i think that Cirkit means a double decker bus that is compatible with lego city and minifigures.

And to Edward: I had it exactly that way you suggested it till about one week ago. But then I realized that Edward has a different amount of stripes and changed it.

Ohh, the LDD files for Stanley and Bulgy are online too, and the folder is public again.

Does anyone of you know how to use Pov-ray? I downloaded it but don't know how to see my models

Edited by ScotNick