I would agree, 42008 doesn't look very good, and 42009 isn't much better.

But, 42009 A model doesn't really look the greatest either (but wonderful functions!).

To me, from recent sets, the two ugliest B-models are definitely those of the 8065 and the 8052. Although, in the first case, I guess there wasn't much more that could be done with the parts, and in the second case the aesthetics are actually nice but the functionality is horrendous (and there are quite a few good suggestions for good models).

8065-0000-xx-33-2.jpg8052-0000-xx-33-2.jpg

And there are always the "semi B-models", such as the 8466, 8421, 9398, 8110, and the mother of all of them, the 8288.

I would agree with most of the suggestions so far. I particularly dislike the look of 42000 b model :sick:

I think some of the more recent larger models have been a let down in so far as b model creativity.

At least it gives me some inspiration to try and build my own alternate and see if I can do better :laugh:

I find both nice.

The one I don't like is the 42008-B !

Edited by leoparder

42002 B is not very beautiful as well. And the functions are bad also.

8265b-1.png

I can't help it but for some reason I find this model quite bad looking...

And yes, 8052 and 42000 definitely.

Since this is the LEGO Technic, Mindstorms & Model Team forum, I would say most of the Model Team sets. The main models looked awesome in general, but I think many of the alternates look ugly.

The alternate of the 8421 was ugly, if you see it as an alternate at all. The crane truck itself was good for it's original purpose, but I never saw something like that on a cherry picker. And the cherry picker itself is the most ugly design I saw for this type of vehicle.

Erik Leppen has made a far better alternative: a wrecker. A complete new vehicle, and looks better than the official alternate model in every way.

Edited by Richie

9398 B wins my vote. They should have made a true B model.

8053 Mobile Crane's B-model is one of the worst.

I beg to disagree. Granted, it's not very pretty, but the real things aren't either... plus, it has more functions than can be seen at first, and it represents a machine that is very rarely done in Technic.

In light of the new sets since 2013, I think it's worth updating this thread.

Semi B-models now include: 42042, 42043, 42054, 42066

Ugly B-models now include: 42029, 42030, 42037, 42070.

And I think we have an undisputable winner for the worst B model: 42070.

Edited by Milan
Removed political comparison.

42064 B isn't very good either.

It depends on your definition of "ugly" of course, but to me, 42064 B is a box made of panels, with a movable ledge that holds onto another box made of panels.

42070 B isn't much, but at least it's a single thing, and at least it has functions, so at least it can be classified as a Technic model (even though the weird gap makes it look as if it is extendable). 42064B has fewer moving parts than many City models. (Also, it's very boring to build.)

Edited by Erik Leppen

I don't like the 42024 B-Model. It looks incomplete. The color scheme doesn't match anything I ever seen. The "blue level" (I don't know how it's called)

is just boring, it's like a wall made of Technic Beams

. That's why I made my own "C-Model"
2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

42070 B isn't much, but at least it's a single thing, and at least it has functions, so at least it can be classified as a Technic model (even though the weird gap makes it look as if it is extendable). 42064B has fewer moving parts than many City models. (Also, it's very boring to build.)

That's exactly what I was thinking: 42064 is a City Set made of technic panels. I wonder how a house made of technic panels would look like. HUMM!

14 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

In light of the new sets since 2013, I think it's worth updating this thread.

I have removed your political remark. Do not use EB to express your political views.